Ontario Municipalities heading towards ranked ballots

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Are ranked ballots a good idea for municipal elections?

Yes
80%
No
7%
Not Sure
13%

Total votes: 15

blahface
Padawan Learner

Re: Ontario Municipalities heading towards ranked ballots

Post by blahface »

Purple wrote:From what I have read though Condorcet is a complicated nightmare that is too difficult to understand and would thus breed resentment from the average voter who can newer be sure he understands it well enough to be sure he was not cheated.
I agree, and I think that is why Burlington Vermont voted to repeal IRV. Although in that instance, a good case can be made that they actually were cheated since the Democrat would have beaten the winner (The progressive) in a one on one competition.

I really don't know if I would support IRV in Ontario's municipal elections. One one hand, it is better than First-past-the-post, but it might leave a sour taste in people's mouth and it can poison the well for future voting reform. I would probably like to see it in place nation wide though.

As for STV, I think the better solution for proportional representation with a small number of seats is to just allow voters to vote for one candidate as a delegate. After the regular vote, all the candidates would vote in their own STV election and they would each have a voting weight equal to the number of votes they got from in the regular election. That would be much simpler than having to rank ever single candidate and it would give more flexibility than voting above the line.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

blahface wrote:As for STV, I think the better solution for proportional representation with a small number of seats is to just allow voters to vote for one candidate as a delegate. After the regular vote, all the candidates would vote in their own STV election and they would each have a voting weight equal to the number of votes they got from in the regular election. That would be much simpler than having to rank ever single candidate and it would give more flexibility than voting above the line.
How so? Unless you're suggesting these candidates should have the "flexibility" to not vote the way they promised they would to secure your vote, this sounds exactly like voting above the line.
blahface
Padawan Learner

Post by blahface »

Grumman wrote:
blahface wrote:As for STV, I think the better solution for proportional representation with a small number of seats is to just allow voters to vote for one candidate as a delegate. After the regular vote, all the candidates would vote in their own STV election and they would each have a voting weight equal to the number of votes they got from in the regular election. That would be much simpler than having to rank ever single candidate and it would give more flexibility than voting above the line.
How so? Unless you're suggesting these candidates should have the "flexibility" to not vote the way they promised they would to secure your vote, this sounds exactly like voting above the line.
It would give you more diverse set of options in how you want to order the candidates. At the very least you will be able to pick who is first on the list without having to fill out the entire ballot (presuming that the guy you vote for ranks himself first). It also shifts the focus away from parties to individual candidates and makes it easier to vote for independent candidates.
Darth Holbytlan
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Holbytlan »

The_Saint wrote:Conversely to Darth Holbytlan by "ranked ballots" I see Single Transferable Vote which is what is used everywhere in Australia from Federal Parliament down to local council (and by a lot of organisations as well eg my high school Student Executive). From memory Condorcet voting is usually undertaken as STV anyway so go figure?
No. STV is just an extension of IRV to allow it to pick the top-N candidates rather than just the top candidate, and IRV is definitely not a Condorcet method. You can use Condorcet voting to pick the top-N candidates, but it works differently than STV.
Purple wrote:From what I have read though Condorcet is a complicated nightmare that is too difficult to understand and would thus breed resentment from the average voter who can newer be sure he understands it well enough to be sure he was not cheated.
Actually Condorcet methods are much easier to verify than IRV/STV methods. The latter basically requires a database of every (anonymized) ballot to check, while Condorcet methods require only a simple table of the vote balances of each pair of candidates. It's in how well the layman understands the method (at least superficially) where IRV beats Condorcet methods handily.

The big problem with any ranked system is that it is very hard to summarize the results to the public—that is, how people voted, not the winner(s).
blahface wrote:I think the most pragmatic solution is to have two rounds of voting with the first round using approval voting. The top two approved candidates would face off in the general election. Also, parties should never get to decide who gets into the first round. If you get X amount of signatures, you should be in. The top parties should not get any special treatment or be required to get a fewer number of signatures than any other candidate.
A group tried to get this method used in Oregon recently, but they apparently failed to get enough signatures or something.

My problem with this method is that straight approval voting is already well analyzed and performs very well. It would be unsurprising if bolting on a runoff election didn't screw that up—I don't know of any good analysis of this kind of system, either way. This method also sounds too similar to the runoff election system adopted in so many southern states because it disadvantaged minority candidates. I don't know if that would be the case here, but I don't trust it.

Personally I would prefer a straight approval method—anyone that can get enough signatures gets on the ballot; each voter can vote for as many or as few candidates as they like (at most once for each candidate); and the candidate with the most votes wins.
blahface
Padawan Learner

Post by blahface »

Darth Holbytlan wrote: A group tried to get this method used in Oregon recently, but they apparently failed to get enough signatures or something.

My problem with this method is that straight approval voting is already well analyzed and performs very well. It would be unsurprising if bolting on a runoff election didn't screw that up—I don't know of any good analysis of this kind of system, either way. This method also sounds too similar to the runoff election system adopted in so many southern states because it disadvantaged minority candidates. I don't know if that would be the case here, but I don't trust it.

Personally I would prefer a straight approval method—anyone that can get enough signatures gets on the ballot; each voter can vote for as many or as few candidates as they like (at most once for each candidate); and the candidate with the most votes wins.
I'm not from Oregon, but I followed that pretty closely. It is too bad that it didn't get enough signatures to be put on the ballot. The regular top two did get enough signatures though so that will be on the ballot. The organizers of the approval primary initiative are now supporting the regular top two now in hopes that eventually the approval voting aspect will get implemented. I personally don't know if I'd be happy if it passes or fails. I really don't like the regular top two, but I also really don't like the system in place now. On the plus side, maybe the approval voting part will be easier to explain to people than explaining I with the top two mixed in. I know apart of the problem in communication last time was that people were mistaking it for the regular top two.

I believe that top two with approval has been tested by Warren Smith (created the scorevoting.org site). I believe that straight approval voting does better with honest voters and the top two does better if you factor in strategic voting. Personally for me, I would have a harder time voting for my second favorite in straight approval voting unless I knew for sure that my first choice wasn't viable. In approval top two, I'd view the first round as an issue based election and the second round as a candidate based election. In the first round, I'd largely base my votes on endorsements from advocacy groups, parties, and other voting blocs. The second round would be more of a fine-tuning of who would be best at implementing the issues. For example, in the second round, I wouldn't want to vote for someone like Obama who might be on the right side of an issue, but gives up pretty easily and won't fight for it.

I don't think it is fair to take the baggage from plurality top two and associate it with approval top two. The core problem with plurality top two is that it just gets the two candidates that survive the vote splitting process and not the two best candidates. It is still very likely to get both a Democrat and Republican – which is still a problem in gerrymandered districts in which it is a lock for one party.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Darth Holbytlan wrote:The big problem with any ranked system is that it is very hard to summarize the results to the public—that is, how people voted, not the winner(s).
Not really. You can easily just screen a table with the candidate names as one axis and the grades as the other. With the field values being the number of people gave that score to said candidate.

That other thing though. Yea, not so much.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Darth Holbytlan
Padawan Learner

blahface wrote:The regular top two did get enough signatures though so that will be on the ballot. The organizers of the approval primary initiative are now supporting the regular top two now in hopes that eventually the approval voting aspect will get implemented. I personally don't know if I'd be happy if it passes or fails. I really don't like the regular top two, but I also really don't like the system in place now.
Living in Oregon, I'm pretty aware of the regular top two initiative. Since I'm a bit uncomfortable about the approval+top two because it is reminiscent of the racism-inspired runoff systems in the south, consider what I think about regular vote+top two, which is practically identical to them. (I'm not a fan.)
I believe that top two with approval has been tested by Warren Smith (created the scorevoting.org site). I believe that straight approval voting does better with honest voters and the top two does better if you factor in strategic voting.
I did some quick searching for some simulation results before my last post but didn't find any. I'll take a closer look at scorevoting.org and see if I can find them.
Personally for me, I would have a harder time voting for my second favorite in straight approval voting unless I knew for sure that my first choice wasn't viable.
If I recall correctly, while that's not the best approval voting strategy, it is actually reasonably close. Which is one of the positive points about approval voting: Natural strategies that tend to be adopted by voters tend to produce good results both for the voters and the election as a whole.
I don't think it is fair to take the baggage from plurality top two and associate it with approval top two. The core problem with plurality top two is that it just gets the two candidates that survive the vote splitting process and not the two best candidates. It is still very likely to get both a Democrat and Republican – which is still a problem in gerrymandered districts in which it is a lock for one party.
I would be very surprised if approval+top two was anywhere near as bad as plurality+top two, plain plurality, or perhaps even IRV. If the approval one had made the ballot I would have voted for it pretty happily. But I definitely have a prejudice about it in comparison with straight approval—albiet one I'm happy to modify in the light of evidence.
Purple wrote:
Darth Holbytlan wrote:The big problem with any ranked system is that it is very hard to summarize the results to the public—that is, how people voted, not the winner(s).
Not really. You can easily just screen a table with the candidate names as one axis and the grades as the other. With the field values being the number of people gave that score to said candidate.
Except that doesn't actually effectively summarize the results of any ranked system except Borda count. You can't check if the declared winner matches the reported results with that summary for a Condorcet system, much less IRV.
Darth Holbytlan wrote:STV is just an extension of IRV to allow it to pick the top-N candidates rather than just the top candidate, and IRV is definitely not a Condorcet method. You can use Condorcet voting to pick the top-N candidates, but it works differently than STV.
Correction: STV is an extension of IRV with multiple winners, but I shouldn't have called it a top-N system since it is supposed to produce representative results while a top-N system is not. I don't know if there is Condorcet equivalent for picking multiple winners proportionately, although I wouldn't be surprised if there was.
blahface
Padawan Learner

Post by blahface »

Darth Holbytlan wrote: Living in Oregon, I'm pretty aware of the regular top two initiative. Since I'm a bit uncomfortable about the approval+top two because it is reminiscent of the racism-inspired runoff systems in the south, consider what I think about regular vote+top two, which is practically identical to them. (I'm not a fan.)
Forgive my ignorance, but how was it racist inspired? From what I know, Louisiana has a top two, but no runoff if a candidate gets the majority. Was this designed to disenfranchise black voters? What was the rationale by thinking it would? Did it work?
I did some quick searching for some simulation results before my last post but didn't find any. I'll take a closer look at scorevoting.org and see if I can find them.
Excuse me, the correct site is scorevoting.net (or rangevoting.net).

Here is a link to a table of simulation results with 50% honest voters and 50% strategic voters. At the moment, I can't find the sims in which it uses 100% honest and 100% dishonest.
Except that doesn't actually effectively summarize the results of any ranked system except Borda count. You can't check if the declared winner matches the reported results with that summary for a Condorcet system, much less IRV.
It may not be quick results, but I think you can effectively show the results by a quick rundown of who beat who in pairwise competition showing one pairing at a time. I think that might actually help people understand it more as well.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Darth Holbytlan wrote:Except that doesn't actually effectively summarize the results of any ranked system except Borda count. You can't check if the declared winner matches the reported results with that summary for a Condorcet system, much less IRV.
I just love it when my post consists of exactly two sentences and people quote one without reading the other even though the second sentence actually answers what they wrote.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
blahface
Padawan Learner

Post by blahface »

blahface wrote:The organizers of the approval primary initiative are now supporting the regular top two now in hopes that eventually the approval voting aspect will get implemented.
OK, I didn't quite get that one right. The organizers of the original initiative are saying that the legislature has a duty to implement Measure 90 with approval voting if it gets approved.

This is the statement of intent of measure 90
The intent of the Open Primary Act of 2014 is to create a fully open, equitable, and fair election system, that will be applied to specific federal and state elected officers currently elected on a partisan basis. This Act will abolish the current practice of relying on political party members or party officials in closed primary elections or conventions to nominate candidates for these offices - while prohibiting the participation of non-affiliated voters entirely - and replace it with a system through which all Oregon electors may participate on an equal basis, in all phases of the selection process. This specifically means changing the current system of primary election contests for these offices so that all Oregon voters have the equal ability to select two finalist candidates to appear on the general election ballot, regardless of the political party affiliation, or lack of party affiliation, of the elector or candidate.
The initiative doesn't actually say that voters only get one choice in the primary, but it does say that all voters should have an equal ability to select the two candidates to runoff the general election.

You can see their arguments here.
Darth Holbytlan
Padawan Learner

blahface wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but how was it racist inspired? From what I know, Louisiana has a top two, but no runoff if a candidate gets the majority. Was this designed to disenfranchise black voters? What was the rationale by thinking it would? Did it work?
This article covers it reasonably well. It was used especially often in primary elections. Per the article, it was adopted mostly for that reason and did work. I will admit, however, that I've never looked that hard into exactly how it worked or why, but my impression was that the runoff vote gives the majority an extra chance to reject minority-preferred candidates.
Here is a link to a table of simulation results with 50% honest voters and 50% strategic voters. At the moment, I can't find the sims in which it uses 100% honest and 100% dishonest.
Thanks. I'll look more closely into that when I have time.
Darth Holbytlan wrote:Except that doesn't actually effectively summarize the results of any ranked system except Borda count. You can't check if the declared winner matches the reported results with that summary for a Condorcet system, much less IRV.
It may not be quick results, but I think you can effectively show the results by a quick rundown of who beat who in pairwise competition showing one pairing at a time. I think that might actually help people understand it more as well.
The problem I'm referring to is that the summary information Purple described can't be used to figure out pairwise results. So that kind of analysis is impossible. But the bigger problem is that even if the pairwise results are reported for Cordorcet (which is very likely), it's a big enough table to make most voter's eyes glaze over for all but votes with the smallest set of candidates.

Purple wrote:
I just love it when my post consists of exactly two sentences and people quote one without reading the other even though the second sentence actually answers what they wrote.
I've read this and your original reply several times and I still have no idea which other sentence you are referring to (the second third sentence I quoted, or the bit I cut out?) or how it answers my point. Please clarify.

blahface wrote:
blahface wrote:The organizers of the approval primary initiative are now supporting the regular top two now in hopes that eventually the approval voting aspect will get implemented.
OK, I didn't quite get that one right. The organizers of the original initiative are saying that the legislature has a duty to implement Measure 90 with approval voting if it gets approved.
You can see their arguments here.
Seems pretty tenuous to me. They are basically saying that because they clarified their intent in an argument to say that the spoiler effect is a problem, and also that approval voting is a way to do that, that the legislature and/or the courts will acknowledge this and use an approval process. At best, it sounds like they realized that it would have been a good idea to specify approval in the bill after the fact.
blahface
Padawan Learner

Post by blahface »

Darth Holbytlan wrote:
blahface wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but how was it racist inspired? From what I know, Louisiana has a top two, but no runoff if a candidate gets the majority. Was this designed to disenfranchise black voters? What was the rationale by thinking it would? Did it work?
This article covers it reasonably well. It was used especially often in primary elections. Per the article, it was adopted mostly for that reason and did work. I will admit, however, that I've never looked that hard into exactly how it worked or why, but my impression was that the runoff vote gives the majority an extra chance to reject minority-preferred candidates.
It seems that the argument is that the only way you could get a non-racist to win was to get the old Southern Democratic party to fraction off and split the vote. The runoff would provide a more representative candidate of the population – hence a more racist candidate. It should be noted, however, that in the last runoff with Cochran vs McDaniel, Cochran won because black democratic voters decided to show up in the runoff for him. Fortunately they allowed other parties and independents to cross over so you didn't necessarily have one side completely shut out of the election. If that hadn't happened, the worst candidate for everyone as a whole (especially the minorities) would have won. The Republican winner is basically the winner of the general election so for here on out that race is basically settled.

If the unified primary had been in place this probably would have resulted in the general election with Cochran vs McDaniel or maybe Cochran and some other candidate who would be a little more moderate. Either way, you'd have gotten the same of better result for minorities.

There may, however, be another reason why the Unified Primary may be bad for minorities and poor people. Those people are less likely to vote in general and are especially less likely to vote in the primary. This may result in the two candidates running off in the general being a bit more right wing than the population as a whole (although I'd say that is the case now). However, they probably wouldn't be as far to the right as the Republican candidate normally would.

It could be argued though that the Unified Primary would make it much more meaningful and important to vote in the primary so you'd have a higher show up of minorities and poor people. Also, Oregon allows vote by mail, so it isn't that much of a hassle to vote. As it is right now, they could argue “Why should I bother voting in the primary? It is just going to be a Democrat and a Republican in the general anyway.” If you take that away and make it so that two Republicans can make it to the general, I'm sure they'd be more likely to show up. Also, their vote will be more powerful as they can join voting blocs other than the democratic party.
Darth Holbytlan wrote: Seems pretty tenuous to me. They are basically saying that because they clarified their intent in an argument to say that the spoiler effect is a problem, and also that approval voting is a way to do that, that the legislature and/or the courts will acknowledge this and use an approval process. At best, it sounds like they realized that it would have been a good idea to specify approval in the bill after the fact.
It is actually a bit more tenuous than that because the fine print of the initiative doesn't even really imply that at all. When it mandates that “Oregon voters have the equal ability to select two finalist candidates to appear on the general election ballot ,” it is pretty clear that it means “equal” in respect to party affiliation and not necessarily equal weight in general voting power. That being said, there is no reason the legislature can't implement it with approval voting if they really wanted to. That would make it more “equal” in all respects and not just the way specified by the initiative. I doubt they'll do that though. Why would the implement it in a way that makes it harder for them to win reelection?
Darth Holbytlan
Padawan Learner

blahface wrote:It seems that the argument is that the only way you could get a non-racist to win was to get the old Southern Democratic party to fraction off and split the vote. The runoff would provide a more representative candidate of the population – hence a more racist candidate.
There's obviously a big problem when the majority of your population is racist and willing to vote that way. No voting system that is considered good by standard measures is going to produce good results. Ironically, only really bad voting systems can sometimes give such minorities good results. Even STV, which at least tries to produce a proportionate set of victors, will just give the minorities a few reps who get outvoted in the legislature. (Which I guess is better than nothing.)

To the degree that that is the reason that runoffs hurt minorities, I don't really know how to fix the problem. And it is something that concerns be in this state. While Oregon does not have any of the nasty slave history that was present in the south and does have a pretty good contingent of liberal social justice types, it is also very white and had a significant influx of white flight in the past. Dig down, and you still can see that history from not that long ago. (For example, a few blocks from where I live is a restaurant building that up to 1949 looked like thisGhost World did not make that up. Fortunately, the current ownership has nothing to do with that history.)
It should be noted, however, that in the last runoff with Cochran vs McDaniel, Cochran won because black democratic voters decided to show up in the runoff for him. Fortunately they allowed other parties and independents to cross over so you didn't necessarily have one side completely shut out of the election.
Allowing that kind of crossover was pretty rare in these southern states, I believe. I doubt that sort of thing happened much back then.
There may, however, be another reason why the Unified Primary may be bad for minorities and poor people. Those people are less likely to vote in general and are especially less likely to vote in the primary. This may result in the two candidates running off in the general being a bit more right wing than the population as a whole (although I'd say that is the case now). However, they probably wouldn't be as far to the right as the Republican candidate normally would.
Except that at the time it was the left wing Democrats who were the racists. I'm not sure how that affects the analysis when the right wing was the better choice for minorities.
It could be argued though that the Unified Primary would make it much more meaningful and important to vote in the primary so you'd have a higher show up of minorities and poor people.
Hopefully. Although the risk is that if people keep up the current habits of low primary turnout that could make things even worse. Which brings up a different objection I have to runoff elections: They add to the risk of voter fatigue and poor turnouts. If more people turn out to the primaries, that may mean less people turning out to the runoff—even if that is the general election.
Also, Oregon allows vote by mail, so it isn't that much of a hassle to vote.
NB: Actually, Oregon only does vote by mail, now. You get your ballot in the mail, fill it in, and mail it back or drop it off at a voting place. There are no voting booths anymore.
Darth Holbytlan wrote: Seems pretty tenuous to me. They are basically saying that because they clarified their intent in an argument to say that the spoiler effect is a problem, and also that approval voting is a way to do that, that the legislature and/or the courts will acknowledge this and use an approval process. At best, it sounds like they realized that it would have been a good idea to specify approval in the bill after the fact.
It is actually a bit more tenuous than that because the fine print of the initiative doesn't even really imply that at all.
Yes, that's my point, in fact. A little information about Oregon elections: Oregon puts out a voter's guide for every election containing a list of all of the issues and candidates running, including complete text of all state initiatives, half page candidate-submitted statements, and numerous arguments for and against each initiative. These are mailed out to all Oregon voters a few weeks before the election. (We just got ours last week.)

In the site you linked, the submitters pointed out judicial precedent that such arguments can be used to clarify the meaning of initiatives to some degree. So they point to their own submitted argument in favor which explicitly claims vote splitting as one of those issues for which the "equal ability" quote applies. Then they claim (not in the submitted argument, but just on the web site) that the easiest way to do that is with approval voting. It's a really big stretch.
That being said, there is no reason the legislature can't implement it with approval voting if they really wanted to. That would make it more “equal” in all respects and not just the way specified by the initiative. I doubt they'll do that though. Why would the implement it in a way that makes it harder for them to win reelection?
No kidding.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Purple wrote:You seem to have misunderstood what I am saying. I am not talking about forcing people to vote, even though certain countries do that and it works just fine. I am talking about the fundamental principals underlying a democratic voting system. Allow me to try again.

When you chose to partake in the election system you are making a choice to go to the election place, fill out and hand in a valid ballot which will than be counted and used to determine what ever it is you are voting for. Anything else, be that not coming to the election or handing in an invalid ballot is choosing not to take part. A valid ballot in a traditional system is one where you have chosen one of the choices offered. A valid ballot in a rated system is one where you have given your rating for each and every one of the choices offered. Neither of those systems or indeed any other that I am aware of has the option of choosing "none of the above". Doing that is done by choosing to not partake in the election system to begin with.
First, there are a lot of the systems who have "none of the above", either by voting so explicitly, or by handing in invalid vote (for example, by drawing a pony or writing insult on the card instead of crossing right field). Doing so is perfectly valid part of democratic protest, and indeed can show by "protest vote" that something is wrong with the system. In fact, it can make a big difference in result of election, say in referendum which is valid if at least 50% people vote.

Second, democracy is imperfect and hassle as it is. A lot of people already have problems showing up and voting, often for very good reason. Something that makes voting harder, like absurdly high standards of card filling in order for it to be valid, advantage no one but die hard core of supporters that always vote for that party and make turnout lower. Do you really want Tea Party to win every time? You might as well argue that requirement to solve three unknowns equation correctly on vote card isn't a problem.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

I believe the proponents for ranked ballots were aiming for "you may rank up to X number of candidates."

Assuming that's what Ontario actually passes, what would be the potential advantages / consequences when compared to having to rank everyone?

For example, if I only choose to vote for one candidate, and Purple decides to rank three of them, does that mean that Purple would potentially have a lot more influence over who wins than I would? Is that preferable over requiring voters to rank all candidates?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Tribble wrote:Assuming that's what Ontario actually passes, what would be the potential advantages / consequences when compared to having to rank everyone?

For example, if I only choose to vote for one candidate, and Purple decides to rank three of them, does that mean that Purple would potentially have a lot more influence over who wins than I would? Is that preferable over requiring voters to rank all candidates?
Yes, it is preferable: the preferences that people want to mark are the important ones. Forcing people to fill out the entire ballot is worse than useless, since they're prone to just mark the remaining candidates from top to bottom, which throws unwanted data into the mix that does not actually reflect the voters' preferences. Making it easier for people to vote for the people they want elected while also making it easier for people to not corrupt your results with meaningless drivel is a win-win.