Tennessee Arrests First Mother Under Its New Pregnancy Crimi

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Tennessee Arrests First Mother Under Its New Pregnancy Crimi

Post by mr friendly guy »

Now imagine a country which we have difficult relations with. Lets just go Iran or the PRC. Lets say they introduce a law which will allow police to arrest women using illicit drugs while pregnant with the argument being it harms the foetus, and as part of a war on drugs. Hmm. I bet you we would be jumping up and down saying this is another example of <insert country here> being a shithole nation. Well its happening in the good old US of A.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/07 ... alization/
Tennessee Arrests First Mother Under Its New Pregnancy Criminalization Law
BY TARA CULP-RESSLER POSTED ON JULY 11, 2014 AT 11:01 AM

t the beginning of July, 26-year-old Mallory Loyola gave birth to a baby girl. Two days later, the state of Tennessee charged her with assault. Loyola is the first woman to be arrested under a new law in Tennessee that allows the state to criminally charge mothers for potentially causing harm to their fetuses by using drugs.
The legislation, which officially took effect about a week ago, stipulates that “a woman may be prosecuted for assault for the illegal use of a narcotic drug while pregnant, if her child is born addicted to or harmed by the narcotic drug.” However, this may not actually apply to Loyola’s case. So far, there’s no evidence the young woman either used a narcotic drug or caused harm to her newborn child.
According to local news reports, Loyola tested positive for methamphetamine and admitted that she smoked that drug several days before giving birth. Meth is not considered to be a narcotic, which is a legal class of drugs that refers to opiates like heroin and prescription painkillers. Tennessee’s new law was passed specifically in response to fears about babies being exposed to opiates in utero, something that can lead to “Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome.”
“This law was sold as if it were just about illegal narcotics. But sure enough, the first case has nothing to do with illegal narcotics — and nothing actually to do with harm to anybody,” Lynn Paltrow, the executive director of National Advocates for Pregnant Women (NAPW), one of the groups that’s firmly opposed to laws that criminalize drug use during pregnancy, told ThinkProgress. “There’s no injury. There’s just a positive drug test.”

The opposition to the new state law, which is the first of its kind in the country, isn’t driven solely by Paltrow’s group. Every major medical organization — including the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, and the American Public Health Association — has come out against efforts to arrest pregnant women who use drugs. A diverse coalition of reproductive rights and criminal justice groups in Tennessee launched a huge campaign against the proposed legislation, called “Healthcare Not Handcuffs,” to point out that threatening women with criminal charges dissuades them from coming forward to get the medical help they need.
“These punitive measures are proven to be ineffective, and yet our state chooses to waste tax dollars locking up women instead of getting them the health care they need,” Rebecca Terrell, the chair of Healthy and Free Tennessee, one of the groups involved in the opposition campaign, told ThinkProgress via email. “We are already receiving reports of women seeking out non-licensed health providers to avoid having a medical record and risking arrest. This is extremely dangerous.”

It’s not uncommon for women to be arrested for testing positive for drugs either while pregnant or shortly after giving birth. This particular criminal approach is animated by the 1980s era image of the “crack baby.” However, there’s no scientific evidence that being exposed to illegal drugs in the womb actually causes long-lasting health issues in young children. In fact, studies have found that exposing fetuses to cocaine, meth, and opiates is about as harmful as exposing them to cigarettes.
Although medical professionals would obviously prefer that pregnant women don’t use drugs, advocacy groups like NAPW argue that charging them with criminal negligence for doing so is a gross overreach — and one that strips women of their fundamental rights once they become pregnant.
“This view of pregnant women essentially means that as soon as you’re carrying a fertilized egg, you’ve lost your medical privacy and your right to make medical decisions,” Paltrow pointed out. “But all matters concerning pregnancy are health care matters. Pregnancy, like other health issues, should be addressed through the public health system and not through the criminal punishment system or the civil child welfare system.”

Plus, the criminalization of pregnant women disproportionately impacts low-income women of color who often end up losing custody of their children. The vast majority of cases that NAPW has tracked involve African American mothers.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee is currently seeking plaintiffs to challenge the state’s new law. “This dangerous law unconstitutionally singles out new mothers struggling with addiction for criminal assault charges,” the group notes in a statement, encouraging people who are concerned about the impact that the measure will have on their families to get in touch.
The article is a little old, but I only found out about this on my TYT subscription today.

These people if they kind of need medical help, might be a tad reluctant to seek it if they know they can be arrested.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Re: Tennessee Arrests First Mother Under Its New Pregnancy C

Post by Alyeska »

This law just encourages drug addicted mothers to avoid hospitals. It solves nothing.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

A law of that nature was passed in Illinois in the 1990's. It was dropped when it was demonstrated that outcomes for the children were worse under those conditions than if the mothers weren't treated criminally but rather treatment was made available to them at low or no cost.

Sorry, no internet cite, I knew about it because I was working at a clinic in the mid-1990's and had a small role in helping with the research that got the law rolled back, or at least led to it not being enforced for the most part.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Alyeska wrote:This law just encourages drug addicted mothers to avoid hospitals. It solves nothing.
Oh, in marble smooth and pea sized brains of the right, it accomplishes a great deal. It penalizes women for getting pregnant and forces them to be under even more control. As it should be in the mind of neanderthal throwbacks.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.