Man choked to death by NYC police

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Man choked to death by NYC police

Post by Borgholio »

We really need a dedicated police brutality / get out of jail free card thread.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /13475451/
A New York City police officer's illegal chokehold killed Eric Garner last month, and his death has been ruled a homicide, the medical examiner announced Friday.

Officer Daniel Pantaleo and another officer tried to arrest the 6-foot-3, 350-pound Garner, 43, for selling untaxed cigarettes on a Staten Island street July 17. Video shot by a passerby showed Pantaleo, an eight-year NYPD veteran, grabbing Garner around the neck as he and his partner wrestled him to the ground.

Police rules forbid chokeholds.

The video captured Garner saying at least eight times, "I can't breathe" as the officers pushed his face into the ground.

Four emergency workers were suspended without pay after witnesses reported they did not administer CPR or oxygen as Garner lay motionless.

Medical examiner spokeswoman Julie Bolcer said Garner died from "the compression of his chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police." Asthma and heart disease contributed to his death, she said.

The Staten Island district attorney is investigating, and Attorney General Eric Holder said the Justice Department is "closely monitoring" the probe.

Pantaleo was stripped of his badge and gun and given desk duty. His partner, who has not been identified, was reassigned but allowed to keep his gun and badge.
So he chokes a man to death and gets desk duty. Damn, I wish I could murder someone and just be sentenced to my desk.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Re: Man choked to death by NYC police

Post by Highlord Laan »

Borgholio wrote:
So he chokes a man to death and gets desk duty. Damn, I wish I could murder someone and just be sentenced to my desk.
Me too. Too bad I have more pride than the kind of people that join the gestapo.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Keep in mind that this will almost certainly go to trial for at least manslaughter, as this has been ruled a clear homicide.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Homicide just means that it was caused by someone, and not an accident, and not the guy killing himself, in the US. It doesn't mean that the DA is required to prosecute.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Wait, so if there is a violent death the DA can just decide to sit on his thumbs about it?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Yes. Prosecutors have wide discretion on how to perform their duties, and are absolutely immune to civil suit on how they perform it. This allows the DA to avoid enforcing laws that he sees as unjust, but also has it's downsides.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Theoretically yes. Hence "justifiable homicide" being a thing. If it was an unambiguous case of self-defense and that could be clearly shown (say there's clear video evidence) then there wouldn't be any charges.

Likewise the police are allowed to use force to arrest somebody who is resisting. If said force is found to have been within reason but the person died as a result, then in theory they would not be charged. Again as a hypothetical, if some guy got in an actual fight with an officer, kicking and punching and so on, but died of a heart attack. As long as whatever force the officers used was within policy and met the standards for reasonable force, they probably wouldn't be charged. They were acting within the law and the scope of their duties.

As for this case? We'll have to wait and see. It's in process still.
We really need a dedicated police brutality / get out of jail free card thread.
There is one but people seem to have stopped using it.
They haven't determined a crime has been committed yet, so how can they charge anyone?

Whether you like it or not, the police do have the legal authority to use force to enact an arrest. The question in this case is whether that use of force was within policy and/or whether any unreasonable use of force actually contributed to this man's death. The chokehold is against policy, yes, but did it lead to the man's death? That apparently remains to be determined. Due process isn't just for civilians, and the fact is police do operate under different rules than the rest of us under certain circumstances, so something that might well be a crime for your average Joe isn't for them. Like running red lights and stop signs when responding to an emergency, as one obvious example.

So basically, the police can use force to ensure an arrest against a suspect who resists. If the suspects dies as a result that does not automatically make it a crime. They have to determine the reasonableness of said force, if it was within policy, and so on. Until that happens, they cannot say a crime has even occurred, much less charge any officers with one. Does this mean it could take longer to charge an officer than might happen with a civilian? Yes. If you don't like it, too bad. The police are not ordinary civilians.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I don't know... its mentioned that the death was ruled a homicide so a crime must have been committed?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Enigma wrote:I don't know... its mentioned that the death was ruled a homicide so a crime must have been committed?
The ME doesn't determine if a crime has been committed. He determines cause of death. If the death is caused by human action then it will be ruled a homicide. For example, if you shot and killed Ted Bundy while he was attempting to murder you the ME would rule his death a homicide but it would be considered justifiable homicide by the prosecution.

However, I do believe this is criminal homicide because the choke hold is against policy for this very reason because it led the death of another person in the past. This officer should be charged with manslaughter but that is up the prosecution.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

The video of this incident can be found all over the place now: VIDEO

Really morbid to have so many professionals standing around talking while the guy is slowly dying.
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Didn't the person who took the video get arrested for doing so?
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

KlavoHunter wrote:Didn't the person who took the video get arrested for doing so?
He was arrested later, but for gun possession and marijuana. The problem is that this creates a conflict of interest with the prosecutor's office given that he's one of the DA's witnesses.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."