Biggest Ebola Outbreak In History- ~10000 Cases

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Re: Biggest Ebola Outbreak In History- ~10000 Cases

Post by TimothyC »

Broomstick wrote:The doctor, who really should have known better, was apparently gallivanting around NYC with a fever for at least a day! WTF was he thinking?
No, he wasn't. I saw the head of NYC public health on the news this morning and she noted that he reported his fever to MSF when he got a recording of 100.3F, not the 103F that was reported earlier. He may not have been feeling 100% the day before his temperature spiked, but he was NOT running around while having a fever.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

TimothyC wrote:
Broomstick wrote:The doctor, who really should have known better, was apparently gallivanting around NYC with a fever for at least a day! WTF was he thinking?
No, he wasn't. I saw the head of NYC public health on the news this morning and she noted that he reported his fever to MSF when he got a recording of 100.3F, not the 103F that was reported earlier. He may not have been feeling 100% the day before his temperature spiked, but he was NOT running around while having a fever.
100.3 is still a fever.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I stand corrected on the issue of the doctor and his fever.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Block wrote:100.3 is still a fever.
Swing and a Miss. He was taking his temperature twice a day, and on Wednesday, when he did not have a fever he was out and about. Then Thursday, he gets a fever, contacts MSF who contacts NYC Public Health. From there he gets transported to the hospital under control conditions. Doctor Spencer was not out and about with a known fever.
Broomstick wrote:I stand corrected on the issue of the doctor and his fever.
It's cool. The early news reports had that he had the 103F fever when he was picked up which would have implied a fever earlier (you know as well as I that you don't often go from normal to 103 overnight).
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Apparently Illinois will now require a mandatory 21 quarantine for anyone high-risk of Ebola, basically, anyone having direct contact with a known case. Some details of how that will be enforced are still being worked out. NYC also has adopted that rule thanks to Dr. Spencer. I think New Jersey has the same, and is now testing a doctor who worked with Ebola patients in Africa.

I anticipate this will have the greatest impact on returning medical personnel who worked in Africa, followed by medical types in the US who treat any cases here.

So far, the three passengers who have come through O'Hare with symptoms have all been false alarms for Ebola (if sick, it was with something else). Let's hope the alarms continue to be false.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Doesn't seem to be very much in the DC area, other than a false alarm last week.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

Australia is getting some tongue lashing when they are the only western country to enact travel bans. I notice many politicians and NGO's pretending that immigration is something that can't be controlled, only managed, almost like weather. Obama must be furious.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Uh... could you restate your position using more words? I gather your first and second sentences are connected in that that's why the people giving Australia the tongue-lashing are acting. But I don't quite understand how the third sentence fits in with the previous two.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/us-army-qu ... d=26486775

It would be nice if the Feds could come up with a common message on this quarrantine thing. One agency is beating up states for enacting mandatory quarantines for people who actually treated ebola patients, another is demanding strict quarrantines for its own people who never even saw an ebola patient.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

TimothyC wrote:
Block wrote:100.3 is still a fever.
Swing and a Miss. He was taking his temperature twice a day, and on Wednesday, when he did not have a fever he was out and about. Then Thursday, he gets a fever, contacts MSF who contacts NYC Public Health. From there he gets transported to the hospital under control conditions. Doctor Spencer was not out and about with a known fever.
All of what you wrote is irrelevant. 100.3 is still a fever for a person who has a normal body temp of 98.6, which is literally all I said. It's low grade, and I doubt very strongly he infected anyone, but it's still a fever.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

What of the Doctor's Without Borders nurse Kaci Hickox ?

My personal feelings on this matter are thus: The practical impact of her remaining under quarantine notwithstanding, there is a public perception portion to this case that bears consideration. To quote Tommy Lee Jones' character in Men In Black: "A person is smart. People are dumb panicky animals and you know it." As a healthcare professional, I feel she should understand this. there may be little medical basis for her quarantine, but when the public at large is so skittish over this problem, there needs to be strong outward-facing protocols to show that shit is "under control". It's not necessarily a public health concern so much as it could be a public safety concern. Take your 21 days off work and chill.

I know - "first they came" and all - but it doesn't really seem relevant here, since we're talking about a problem that is both temporary and very manageable (for now)
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

...why are they keep repeating "Is X based on science"? :?

It sounds like they want the infallible word of the Pope, not advice of a scientist. Yes, yes, scientific consensus and all that, but only an oracle with crystal ball could provide 100% true answer as of now.

Also, the outrage about "MUH RIGHTS". Complaining about free vacation done so you could get best, early care in case you have a deadly disease (and so you hopefully don't infect anyone else) sounds really stupid, and it's not like she would be even first infected US nurse, far from it.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

About Kaci Hickox:

Understand that the woman has a legitimate grievance. New Jersey put her in a UNHEATED TENT in the PARKING LOT of a hospital in nothing more than a PAPER HOSPITAL GOWN (in an UNheated tent!), with NO bathing facilities and a "porta-potty" little better than a bucket and told here she would be spending 21 days in those circumstances. Here you can see the rather Spartan setting:

Yeah, I would be pissed, too.

Why the FUCK couldn't they have housed her in a NORMAL hospital isolation room? Seriously? Or, if New Jersey didn't feel they had an adequate facility she should have been transferred to somewhere where at the least she would be indoors.

This is fucking stupid on the part of New Jersey. What the fuck, were they intending to house an actually sick person like that?

This was NOT a "21 day vacation and the best care" unless you consider camping nearly naked in a parking lot with no running water and bucket to piss and shit in a "vacation". Note the complete lack of books, newspapers, laptop, or any form of mental stimulation or entertainment whatsoever.

She was put into solitary confinement without a trial.

She might have consented to 21 days home confinement if she hadn't been treated worse than a criminal from the moment she touched down in the US. Now she's butt-hurt and afraid she's going to get treated like this for the better part of a month. It was a fucked-up, ham-fisted approach to quarantine and it's trying to backfire.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Christ on a crutch.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Broomstick wrote:Understand that the woman has a legitimate grievance. New Jersey put her in a UNHEATED TENT in the PARKING LOT of a hospital in nothing more than a PAPER HOSPITAL GOWN (in an UNheated tent!), with NO bathing facilities and a "porta-potty" little better than a bucket and told here she would be spending 21 days in those circumstances.
See, yes, this is complete bullshit. It sounds like it was idea of third world nation, so yeah, it might not be the first thing that comes to mind when you read "quarantine in USA". Especially after you read how the previous infected Americans were treated. And especially after, oh, the video over my post has her skyping from home and she is apparently fighting THAT quarantine, not the first one.

That still doesn't change the fact that a nurse might not be the most qualified person to decide what kind of quarantine she needs or be most objective when it comes to reporting anything alarming found during self monitoring if she forces that.

Also, Jesus, every time I hear about New Jersey news it is always some kind of massive fuck-up. What's wrong with that state?
This was NOT a "21 day vacation and the best care"
Gee, if only that was mentioned as main grievance in article instead of circlejerking "is this really based on science???" and "my rights to walk away from quarantine are being spit at" but then again, it's US media so why I am surprised :roll:
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Ms. Hickox is also a very rational person used to speaking to other rational people. She doesn't understand PR or dealing with "people", that is, the panicky herd, as opposed to "persons", the ones you can use logic on.

PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

I think an argument could have been made for mandatory home quarantine......... if it had been announced beforehand and not as a panic response to her showing a fever at the airport scanner, a scare which subsequently was shown to be flawless.

As a former operator of said scanner, those devices require a lot of handling if you don't want an overtly high false positive/negative reading.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

I see the argument for allowing home Quarantine Vs. a parking lot. That's certainly an issue. But 21 days of home quarantine amounts to a staycation. I stand by my assertion that as a nurse, she should understand, and even if she didn't I'm sure it's been explained to her (hell, if *I* could come up with it, I'm sure WAY smarter folks than I have thought to mention it to her) that public knee-jerkery could compromise her safety and the safety of others. Stay Home. We'll bring beer.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I just had to unfriend someone on FB who straight-up said he hoped Kaci Hickox would turn out to have Ebola after all. Apparently also she's a CDC employee, which seems to be BS-- she did work for them for some time but left to do her volunteer work with MSF.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

...They straight up said they hoped she *had* Ebola?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Chardok wrote:...They straight up said they hoped she *had* Ebola?
This guy is one for claiming sarcasm. Quote, "wouldn't it be hilarious if she wakes up tomorrow and she's leaking blood from her eyes".
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Total cases just under 250,000.

10 thousand people have died.

http://au.reddit.com/r/ebola/comments/3 ... _leone_37/
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Jesus. Though the number of dead seems to be going down proportionally compared to the number of infected. But still, 10,000 dead...yikes.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

madd0ct0r wrote:Total cases just under 250,000.
It's bad, but it's not that bad - you've got one too many zeros.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Fuck. Yup. Cases more like 25k. Sorry
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee