Malaysia Airlines 777 missing en route to beijing

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Malaysia Airlines 777 missing en route to beijing

Post by AniThyng »

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26492748
Malaysia Airlines 'loses contact with plane'

Malaysia Airlines says it has lost contact with a plane travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, with 239 people on board.

The airline said in a statement that flight MH370 disappeared at 02:40 local time on Saturday (18:40 GMT on Friday).

It was expected to land in Beijing at 06:30 (22:30 GMT).

"Malaysia Airlines is currently working with the authorities who have activated their search and rescue team to locate the aircraft," the carrier said.

The flight was carrying 227 passengers, including two infants, and 12 crew members.

Malaysia Airlines is the national carrier of Malaysia and one of Asia's largest, flying nearly 37,000 passengers daily to some 80 destinations worldwide.
Not the kind of news you want to hear when due to take a airasia flight back to KL in 4 days time. A big malaysian jet has not crashed in decades, and the last time was a hijacked 737.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Malaysia Airlines 777 missing en route to beijing

Post by Thanas »

As if the world had a shortage of bad news lately.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Sounds bad - no contact, and enough time has gone by that they'd be on the ground now just because of the fuel limits. Reports are that contact was lost over Vietnam, over land, so it (or what remains) should be located fairly quickly. I expect we'll hear something more by morning.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Broomstick wrote:Sounds bad - no contact, and enough time has gone by that they'd be on the ground now just because of the fuel limits. Reports are that contact was lost over Vietnam, over land, so it (or what remains) should be located fairly quickly. I expect we'll hear something more by morning.
What I've seen has it going off radar over the Gulf of Thailand.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Some folks I've heard have said that an electrical problem would be a very likely cause of the crash, given that the plane is a 777 and the specific airline in question.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Yahoo, but still news:

UPDATE [12:37]: Tuoi Tre, a leading daily in Vietnam, reports that the Vietnamese Navy has confirmed the plane crashed into the ocean. According to Navy Admiral Ngo Van Phat, Commander of the Region 5, military radar recorded that the plane crashed into the sea at a location 153 miles South of Phu Quoc island.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

montypython wrote:Some folks I've heard have said that an electrical problem would be a very likely cause of the crash, given that the plane is a 777 and the specific airline in question.
Anyone saying that is pulling it straight out their asshole. There are ungodly amounts of redundancies build into an airliner's electrical system, really the only way to knock off power completely would be a catastrophic fire that just couldn't be isolated. Even in that case there's still plenty of time to get an emergency call out and a turn towards land.

Not saying you're wrong though, it's not like my crystal ball is providing any answers..
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

montypython wrote:Some folks I've heard have said that an electrical problem would be a very likely cause of the crash, given that the plane is a 777 and the specific airline in question.
Can you clarify? From a safety standpoint I an not aware of MAS being substandard in any way. I mean there have been some incidents I've heard of but the last hull loss was a small plane landing in bad weather and a hijackedplane in 77.

An opposition party politician tweeted that there must be a new Bermuda triangle to explain why Malaysia hasn't find the jet yet. What a jackass, I dislike the ruling government as much as anybody but he's lost my vote for sure.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

TimothyC wrote:What I've seen has it going off radar over the Gulf of Thailand.
I stand corrected, then. Well, it's not the first time initial reports were less than perfect.
Who are these "some folks" and what are their qualifications to discuss electrical problems in the B777? An airplane like that has triple redundancies as a design feature, fire suppression systems, and probably a bunch of other safety features I'm not aware of (not being an expect on that type of airplane). It's not impossible, but really, this sounds like a "pull it out of my ass" guess at this point.

Frankly, I don't see how anyone can venture a guess here, what with the airplane being underwater and nothing recovered as of yet.

Apparently, there's a multi-national effort to look for the wreckage, and I'm always happy to see international cooperation as opposed to friction and conflict. I just wish it was over something less tragic than a big plane going down.

ETA: There are reports just coming in that "liquid" and "rubbish" have been spotted on the ocean surface. >sigh< Not really a surprise it appears to be a crash.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/08/world ... e-missing/

Excerpt
Bits and pieces of information have begun to form, but it remains unclear how they fit into the bigger picture, if at all.
For instance, after the airline released a manifest, Austria denied that one of its citizens was onboard the flight as the list stated. The Austrian citizen was safe and sound, and his passport had been stolen two years ago, Austrian Foreign Ministry spokesman Martin Weiss told CNN.
Similarly, Italy's foreign ministry confirmed that no Italians were onboard MH370, even though an Italian was listed on the manifest. Malaysian officials said they were aware of reports that the Italian's passport was also stolen, but had not confirmed it.
I wonder what the CCTV footage of these individuals passing passport control would reveal...
I do know how to spell
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

On a side note, while I'm not sure if it's really that impressive that ASEAN member states are cooperating ( I know there are overlapping disputes etc but this is hardly a Cold War) , but I am dissapointed that it really has turned into a local let's pin this on the ruling government issue. Never,ind the racism at home and abroad. ( oh haha Asians and Muslims right, either incompetence or suicide har har)
I do know how to spell
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Fingerpointing is a typical outcome of any airplane crash regardless of location or ethnicity of personnel.

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

AniThyng wrote:On a side note, while I'm not sure if it's really that impressive that ASEAN member states are cooperating ( I know there are overlapping disputes etc but this is hardly a Cold War) , but I am dissapointed that it really has turned into a local let's pin this on the ruling government issue. Never,ind the racism at home and abroad. ( oh haha Asians and Muslims right, either incompetence or suicide har har)
Malaysian immigration has always been rather incompetent. What's new? Someone just told me he went through the X-ray machine on his own and no one bothered to man the station.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Anecdotal I'm sure. I also fly out of KL and have never seen such a thing.
I do know how to spell
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Also, the plane was bound for China; I'd be surprised if there was a flight into that country from its less well-off neighbours that didn't have a couple of would-be illegal immigrants on it.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Danny Bhoy
Jedi Knight

Post by Danny Bhoy »

Zaune wrote:Also, the plane was bound for China; I'd be surprised if there was a flight into that country from its less well-off neighbours that didn't have a couple of would-be illegal immigrants on it.
Are you implying that Malaysia is less well off than China? As far as I know, Malaysia has a higher per capita GDP than China.

I suspect that there would be more Chinese nationals trying to enter Malaysia illegally than the other way around. Those Malaysians trying to enter China illegally are more likely to be fugitives than the usual immigrants.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

What about Indonesians trying to enter China?

Or migrants (Malaysian or otherwise) who are using Beijing as a transit point?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Danny Bhoy wrote:
Zaune wrote:Also, the plane was bound for China; I'd be surprised if there was a flight into that country from its less well-off neighbours that didn't have a couple of would-be illegal immigrants on it.
Are you implying that Malaysia is less well off than China? As far as I know, Malaysia has a higher per capita GDP than China.

I suspect that there would be more Chinese nationals trying to enter Malaysia illegally than the other way around. Those Malaysians trying to enter China illegally are more likely to be fugitives than the usual immigrants.
Higher than china as a whole, but probably lower than say, shanghai or Guangzhou individually. Still, usually it's been chinese nationals overstaying tourist visas to work in the sex industry, not the other way around.
I do know how to spell
Tony Stark
Redshirt

Post by Tony Stark »

According to BBC news when I was watching earlier, 2 passengers were using stolen passports.
Lolpah
Youngling

Post by Lolpah »

Some suggest that the passengers might have been drug smugglers. Using stolen passports seems to be a modus operandi among them.

Of course, there's also a fear that these two might have been terrorists who downed the plane, but for now we can only speculate.

Is there any information on whether all the other passengers were genuinely on the plane, or might there have been other fake identities too?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

So far it seems only those two, but information is far from complete on any of this.

InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

We probably won't know the full story for months, if not years.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The water in that area is very shallow for open sea, it may have gone down shallow enough to be reached with SCUBA gear, and it can't be over about 300ft because nothing in the Gulf of Thailand is. That should mean very rapid location of the wreck, given that it was being actively tracked in the first place, and then rapid black box recovery. We should have a pretty good idea of what happened within weeks from that. Full story, well that will depend on what happened sure.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Lolpah
Youngling

Post by Lolpah »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/ ... 1720140309
So apparently, the authorities are now considering the possibility that the aircraft turned back before disappearing:
"What we have done is actually look into the recording on the radar that we have and we realized there is a possibility the aircraft did make a turnback," Rodzali Daud, the Royal Malaysian Air Force chief, told reporters at a news conference.
Also, there possibly are two more suspicious passengers:
Malaysian Transport Minister Hishamuddin Hussein said authorities were also checking the identities of two other passengers, other than the men on the Austrian and Italian passports.

"All the four names are with me," said Hishamuddin, who is also defense minister. "I have indicated to our intelligence agencies and I have also spoken to international intelligence agencies for assistance."

He said help was also being sought from the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). However, an attack was only one of the possibilities being investigated.

"We are looking at all possibilities," he said. "We cannot jump the gun. Our focus now is to find the plane."

Azharuddin Abdul Rahman, the head of the department of civil aviation, later told reporters only two passengers were being investigated and that authorities were checking CCTV footage of the two as they boarded the aircraft.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The only way we're going to get real answers is to find the damn airplane. Which may take considerable time.