Ukraine War Thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Re: Ukraine War Thread

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Kane Starkiller wrote:It's interesting how, with the deterioration of Russian economy, Novorossia suddenly became Donetsk Republic and Luhansk Republic and then simply "eastern Ukraine" in the Russian media. Suddenly neither Ukraine nor Russia are too keenly interested in the area and taking responsibility for footing the reconstruction bill.
I suspect from the Russian point of view, these regions are Ukraine's and Ukraine should fix up the damage they caused.

From the Ukrainian point of view, these were treasonous bastards and they don't want to have anything to do with them.

Never mind that Ukraine is effectively, pretty much, bankrupt.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Stas Bush wrote:
Thanas wrote:That doesn't actually contradict anything I wrote.
Does Pakistan control islamists in Afghanistan?
Some, certainly. Others, not. How are the situations at all comparable?
The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Strelkov and his cossacks forced Putin's hand. Certainly Putin aided them after that, because he had to conciliate the far-right to a certain degree before finding leverage to eliminate the threat from them that the situation created. Russia's right wing is mostly calling Putin a traitor right now for not directly engaging in a military showdown with the west or properly supporting Strelkov back in June. Putin did the very least he could without risking his regime stability.

See, it is just as easy to have a similar narrative that just does not happen to portray Putin as a victim of his circumstances, which seem to be the newest tack in Putin apologia one hears these days in the media. I think Putin was perfectly content to use something that promised massive gains in return for very little investment.
Anyhow, the point about the men on leave is that they no longer had a concrete chain of command stretching back to Russia in an identifiable way. And there's nothing wrong with proliferating defensive weapons*, the problem strictly came from the fact that whomever was operationally in charge and ultimately culpable had no functional system of command and control.

* In a strictly legal sense. I understand it was situationally problematic.
I dispute the strictly legal part. The "discharge" papers are as valid as any Scheingeschäft, that is too say nothing at all. That goes double for equipment.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Thanas wrote:Some, certainly. Others, not. How are the situations at all comparable?
Very comparable. The ISI has had a very long history of sponsoring the very same movements the US targets with drone strikes.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Stas Bush wrote:
Thanas wrote:Some, certainly. Others, not. How are the situations at all comparable?
Very comparable. The ISI has had a very long history of sponsoring the very same movements the US targets with drone strikes.
I still don't see how this matters compared to the Ukraine. Please explain further as I don't get it.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Prannon
Jedi Knight

Post by Prannon »

I can sorta see a comparison, wherein the ISI fed the metaphorical dog - the mujaheddin in Afghanistan - which have now grown beyond their ability to control. Also, the ISI is often referred to as something of a rogue agency in the Pakistani government, which is not entirely beholden to the army or the civilian leadership.

So, the comparison is...

Local Russian Warlords (not entirely beholden to Moscow government) supporting separatists in Ukraine <-> ISI (not entirely beholden to Pakistani government) supporting Islamists in Afghanistan.

I want to emphasize that I'm not very knowledgeable on the details of other of these conflicts and I can be entirely wrong, but it's enough for me to sorta see the point that Stas is making, insofar that Russia will also have its rogue actors within its borders.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The masks continue to come off. Interview with Girkin/Strelkov:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aelwn_UfeN0

Translation from reddit:
N - So, why did it work in Crimea? There were three components - the people of Crimea were unanimous and took to the streets, law enforcement was fully supportive and most important, there were lawful, legitimate authorities who stood on the side of the people. And it was only the fact that these three things were there that Russia showed poltiical will (at this point Girkin starts grinning, almost ready to laugh) and little green men appeared there on the streets.

Girkin (G): Nikolay, when were you in Ukraine?

N - on the 16th during the referendum.

G - Well, I was in Crimea since the 21st of February. And you know, what you are telling me is complete hogwash. What law enforcement that took the people's side are you talking about? Berkut were the only ones who took the side of the people, the people, I stress, not the authorities. The rest of the law enforcement, the Interior Ministry was under the control of Kiev and executed the orders of Kiev. I saw that with my on eyes.

Yeah, they executed them without really wanting to, maybe sabotaged it a bit, and in some cases pretended to be ill and so on but they continued to execute kiev's orders and did not execture orders from the new authorities. Furthermore, I did not see, unfortunately, any support on the part of local authorities in Simferopol where I was - I didn't see any. There wasn't any, the local deputies were gathered together by the resistance (oposlchentsy) to force them into the session halls to vote. Yes, I was one of the commanders of those opolchentsy, I saw it all from the inside with my own eyes.

So, two of your compenents have nothing to do with it. As they had been subordinate to Kiev, they contineud to be subordinate, also with little enthusiasm, and some sabotage, they had a lot of concerns, I personally was in negotiations with the headquarters of the Black Sea Fleet. I started them. And moreover, the majority of units remained loyal to kiev and left the territory of Crimea.

N - But still, the Crimean parliament got together and voted and Aksyonov became prime minister. and the same thing happened in Sevastopol. Question: if you helped get those decisions made both in Crimea and Sevastopol, why didn't you do the same in the Donbas? Why didn't the Donetsk or Lugansk regional councils get together and vote for their own representative, a legitimate one, voting in full by all the deputies? How come that didn't happen?

G - Because on the outskirts or Simfereopol and in Sevastopol itself, there were not, or rather there were, Russian troops and there was hope that they would be supportive. Believe me, if there had been armoured personnel carriers in Lugansk and Donetsk with marines – Russians – the same thing would have happened.

Moreover, and I stress this, the same thing would have happened in Kharkiv, Nikolayev, Odessa and everywhere. The only thing that you mentioend that was missing, but that was there in Crimea, was the presence of Russian troops supporting the people's authority. If there had been that support in other regions, there would have been the same, bloodless, resounding victory like in Crimea.
So Strelkov admits that the local MPs were forced at Gunpoint to vote and that the Russian army was the deciding factor in having the "resistance" take over.
------------
------------
My LPs
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

Putin claims Ukrainian army is NATO legion
BBC wrote: "In effect, it is no longer an army but a foreign legion, in this case Nato's foreign legion, which does not of course pursue the aims of Ukraine's national interests," said the Russian president.

Those aims were "connected with achieving the geopolitical objectives of containing Russia", he said.
No Sir in no way are Ukrainian national interests served by containing Russia on Russian borders. :lol:
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Kane Starkiller wrote:Putin claims Ukrainian army is NATO legion
BBC wrote: "In effect, it is no longer an army but a foreign legion, in this case Nato's foreign legion, which does not of course pursue the aims of Ukraine's national interests," said the Russian president.

Those aims were "connected with achieving the geopolitical objectives of containing Russia", he said.
No Sir in no way are Ukrainian national interests served by containing Russia on Russian borders. :lol:
The guy's in a parallel reality by now: the reality of propaganda. The only real meaning of this is to reinforce the lie and make it a truth.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I'm sorry, this is just hilarious:
Thanas wrote: Russian regulars from the 53rd air brigade out of Kursk.
Excerpts from the link:
This report is a joke. It has all the veracity and rigour of Loose Change - filled with unsubstantiated claims, and the evidence it presents to assign specifically Russian responsibility (as in crewed by Russians) is a load of piffle designed to impress ignoramuses, stuff like "lol, there were tanks in this area and Russian military doctrine says that wherever tanks go there should be Buks".

This is nothing but bullshit. The Buk occupies a specific place in the Russian TO&E - these clowns actually posit that the presence of a single unmarked T-64 is enough to justify the presence of a Buk in "Russian military doctrine". If 'Russian military doctrine' was so crucial, then where the hell are all the other components of the Buk battery? Nowhere. Buks do not 'guard tanks'. They protect the advance of entire army-level formations. Where's the Army-level formation its meant to be guarding, in Russian doctrine? Nowhere. A Tor-M1 (SA-15) would've made a lot more sense - and even then they'd be guarding a whole division-sized grouping. They wax lyrical about Russian military doctrine but comically refer to a Buk ona stolen truck, as if the Russian Army is going to move around a Buk with a fraction of the capability its meant to have on a goddamn stolen truck.

And we're supposed to believe its a specific regiment from Kursk because of some sort of incoherent conspiracy theory "coincidence?!" nonsense that is never really elaborated on. There's a Sergeant from Kursk who was discharged and .... *something something mumble I'm walking away now*. There's lots of photos of Kursk there though, for some reason. I guess they had to fill out the page to make the report look more comprehensive than it actually was?
Bellingcat was also able to determine the missile launcher’s origin. Every BUK has an identification number. Based on an analysis of launch-vehicle photographs posted in the internet, Bellingcat investigators concluded that a BUK launcher with the identification number 3*2 (* stands for an illegible number) was photographed while traveling in June with a convoy from western the Russian city of Kursk to the Ukrainian border. Later on July 17th the same BUK, now with is identification number 3*2 painted over, was photographed by the Paris Match photographer in eastern Ukraine.

Bellingcat investigators based their conclusion on an analysis of photographs of the BUK launcher in Russia and later in Ukraine. The dents and scratches on the launcher are identical—like a fingerprint.
Its funny how that "analysis" and all the indicators of these "fingerprints" aren't actually available for public review. Just a bunch of blurry pictures the size of postage stamps, but these clowns are claiming to see identical dents and scratches.

But don't worry - they insist they've 'verified' everything they've said about such things - without ever actually explaining how.

No reputable journalist would publish this abject nonsense and pretend they've discovered 'the truth', so no wonder its on an independent website with really shitty bandwith.

Meanwhile, actual journalists from an actual paper report that German intelligence blames pro-Russian separatists - with a captured Buk.

EDIT: I mean for fuck's sake, these cranks claim to have met an 'officer in a western army' who apparently claims that fighter jets are flying underneath airliners to avoid being shot down by Buks. They've drunk some seriously rancid Kool Aid.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

WTF are you taking about those images not being availabe for pubic review? The entire website is pretty open and clear.
https://www.bellingcat.com/

Just search for tags with MH17 and you'll find everything. Takes about two seconds of googling.
------------
------------
My LPs
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

WTF are you taking about those images not being availabe for pubic review? The entire website is pretty open and clear.
Yes, it is pretty clear its a website made by a bunch of frauds using conspiracy crank reasoning. Seriously, that absurd "officer in a western army" comic on the main page didn't clue you in that maybe this report wasn't on the level?

Just search for tags with MH17 and you'll find everything. Takes about two seconds of googling.
Why the hell do I need to engage in 'two seconds of googling' to find what they're claiming? Aren't the images on which they're meant to rely meant to be, you know, on the website, or at the very least, expressly linked to from that website? Where are the 'dents and scratches' which are like 'fingerprints'? They certainly ain't here, on their 'path of the Buk' page, which they say has "All details - picture for picture" are they?

Its a load of distraction designed to impress the gullible with sheer volume rather than actual proof. They've got 10 photographs of Kursk guys! This clearly means that the Buk came from there!

EDIT: to be clear, its been obvious for ages that the rebels had a Buk-M1 - they admitted it themselves on twitter, before they tried to cover it up after the shootdown. Photos of a Buk in Eastern Ukraine popped up quite quickly, this mere fact is no revelation, nor is it a revelation that Russian military convoys - part of formations of tens of thousands of troops during Russia's border sabre-rattling, were photographed traveling around Russia near the border.

Looking at the Bellingcat page (whose tone is far less cranky and conspiratorial than the original link, thankfully), its entire argument that the launcher photographed in Eastern Ukraine originated in Russia rests upon a single, really shitty photograph taken in Donetsk and trying to match it up with other photos of vehicles in Russia by means of drawing a lot of lines over the picture to create details that aren't actually there on the original, shitty photograph. Specifically, this.

(it doesn't help that the two images of the "in Russia" vehicle are supposed to be from videos - except only the extreme right hand image video is still online. The video which allegedly contains the shot of Buk "3*2" in the centre is nowhere to be found - the link they give is dead.)

The detail on the Buk from Donetsk (the "Paris Match" photo) is practically as good as murky soup. I can draw random red lines over that as well to match up details from pictures of other launchers, and it'd be just as legitimate.

Further, the picture on the extreme left from a video taken in Russia - how can this be the same launcher as either of the others, where the "transportation-related" marking isn't even there? Indeed, Bellingcat doesn't even mention the obvious discrepancy (because it would undermine their narrative to highlight it, I imagine*). Instead they focus entirely on the damage to the sideskirt and draw lines (as noted above, with little success given the poor quality of the Donetsk photograph) to try and establish they are one and the same. Anyone whose ever seen a picture of Russian tanks on exercise or at war knows how preposterous it is to posit that a sideskirt being bent or otherwise dinged at the seam is some sort of unique identifying feature.

*In this regard, its worth pointing out how clearly agenda-driven Bellingcat's 'investigative' pieces are. American-made small arms are found in Donetsk airport after its capture by the rebels (noting always that our trusty western media insisted up and down that Kiev still held it almost a week after it had in actual fact, fallen) - and all Bellingcat can think to do is claim that its plausible that the Russians transplanted loot from the Georgian War almost seven years ago to the airport so that the rebels could parade them on television. :roll:
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Vympel wrote:Why the hell do I need to engage in 'two seconds of googling' to find what they're claiming? Aren't the images on which they're meant to rely meant to be, you know, on the website, or at the very least, expressly linked to from that website?

You are pathetic. They are expressly linked to from that website. Scroll down to
The BUK’s path across eastern Ukraine

There is a second hot lead discovered by an international investigative team. Bellingcat.com is led by the young journalist Eliot Higgins. His method: meticulously investigate the traces that an event leaves on the internet. Photos, videos, posts in social networks. Higgins has shown that digging around in the depths of the internet can lead to stunning revelations. Among other things, Bellingcat was able to uncover secret arms shipments in Syria and reconstruct a poison gas attack.
and you wil find that there is a big juicy link in the middle.
Vympel wrote:*In this regard, its worth pointing out how clearly agenda-driven Bellingcat's 'investigative' pieces are. American-made small arms are found in Donetsk airport after its capture by the rebels (noting always that our trusty western media insisted up and down that Kiev still held it almost a week after it had in actual fact, fallen) - and all Bellingcat can think to do is claim that its plausible that the Russians transplanted loot from the Georgian War almost seven years ago to the airport so that the rebels could parade them on television.
I don't think the capture of western weapons is any indicator of US support, unless we happen to also believe every AK is an indication of Russian support.
------------
------------
My LPs
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Thanas wrote: You are pathetic. They are expressly linked to from that website. Scroll down to and you wil find that there is a big juicy link in the middle.
Pathetic? LOL. I missed the link (and so did you apparently) the criticism of the report's stupid claims, factual inaccuracies, and those of bellingcat itself in regard to the launcher, stand. That I thought they hadn't bothered to link their work is the least of their problems.
I don't think the capture of western weapons is any indicator of US support, unless we happen to also believe every AK is an indication of Russian support.
I don't think its indicative of Western support either, what its illustrative of is the implausible lengths they'll go to attribute something relatively innocuous to Russian nefariousness as opposed to a much more pedestrian explanation, like arms purchased for the private militias by Ukrainian oligarchs, or foreign mercenaries that we know are present in the combat zone.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

With American hawks renewing their calls to arm Ukraine like the utter morons they are, the pushback:

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/how ... ssia-12187
The release of a report this week calling for a vast expansion of U.S. military aid to Ukraine, titled “Preserving Ukraine’s Independence, Resisting Russian Aggression [4],” helped reignite the debate in Washington, D.C. on the provision of lethal weapons and a reassessment of the U.S. role in the conflict. The authors are prominent former diplomats and highly respected members of the national-security establishment, including Michele Flournoy, Strobe Talbott and Steven Pifer, amongst others. As a result, the president’s administration has come under heavy political pressure to reevaluate the existing policy of support for Ukraine. The prominence and experience of the political figures behind this report makes it impossible to ignore. It is a concise piece of argument, demanding the United States supply $1 billion per year in defense articles to Ukraine, ranging from anti-tank missiles to advanced air defense, and a variety of technical enablers for the Ukrainian military.

The proponents of this armaments proposal have treated support for arming Ukraine as a litmus test for supporting Ukraine in its hour of need. But this is a false equivalence. In fact, it is entirely reasonable to support Ukraine fully and simultaneously oppose sending additional weapons into a volatile conflict region. Indeed, the proposed arms shipments would do little to help Ukraine militarily and might actually worsen the situation. Kyiv is in desperate need of financial, technical and political support [5]to achieve vital objectives, which include a fledgling reform agenda and negotiating a durable settlement to hold the country together. This in fact is the position adopted by Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany and other U.S./NATO allies.

Sending a mix of weapons to Ukraine is unlikely to improve the situation, given the overwhelming force-on-force mismatch the country faces against Russia, but it could add fuel to a fire that is steadily consuming the country’s chances of emerging as a new nation on a European path. Instead, the United States should provide equipment and supplies to sustain Ukraine’s fledgling military, save lives, double down on economic aid and increase efforts aimed at reforming the country. Ukraine needs a genuine army, not weapons. Creating a sustainable professional force in Ukraine is a long-term effort the West must undertake as part of an overall strategy for the country, and perhaps under the framework of a strategic partnership that should emerge from thought and deliberation. Sending weapons in and of itself is not a strategy, either for Ukraine, or for settling the conflict. The United States must focus on achieving a durable political settlement first. This report does not offer recommendations on a path to peace, and no explanation of how weapons shipments could result in a political settlement to the war currently raging in the Donbass.

At its essence, the report is intended to press the reluctant president into changing his course in Ukraine, and to make the United States a more active participant in the conflict. Its core premise is that by giving Ukraine the ability to kill more Russian soldiers, sending weapons would raise the costs of war for Moscow to an unacceptable level, thus forcing Russia to abandon its existing policy and thus deterring further aggression. The weakness in the armaments proposal is that it offers no vision for what a new political settlement to the current conflict might look like, or how to move beyond the failed Minsk ceasefire, but recommends an Afghanistan-like approach to dealing with the Russian invasion. This document advocates in no subtle terms for the United States to undertake a proxy war with Russia in Ukraine, and to supply the country with weapons equivalent to half of its current defense budget. It represents an important perspective in the policy debate of how to best help Ukraine, and merits thorough analytical consideration.

One of the problems in the report’s argumentation is that it lists a series of fears and anxieties regarding Russia’s territorial ambitions as part of its policy-justification set. Analysis of Russia’s annexation of Crimea has shown that the operation was inherently unique and could not be repeated elsewhere in Europe, while Moscow has demonstrated little interest in spontaneously invading NATO countries. On the contrary, previous references regarding the Russian world, or Novorossiya, have already been eliminated from official rhetoric. Real ultranationalists in Russia are suppressed by the government, which does not plan to realize their ambitions.

Russia has shown no desire for a broader invasion of Ukraine, either, although it has the means, and the report confirms that Ukrainian officials believe a large-scale attack to create a land corridor to Crimea is highly unlikely. This was always improbable from the perspective of military science, and continues to be so. Russian actions suggest a calibrated economy of force effort to press Ukraine into accepting the breakaway separatist regions, and securing Moscow’s influence in the country. Sending weapons into the conflict today cannot be justified by the specters of early 2014, when alarmism reigned and fears of further Russian ambitions dominated Europe. Those fears have proved largely unfounded as we head into 2015.

The report also casts allusions to supposed U.S. credibility issues, and commitments to Ukraine’s security, if weapons are not provided. In reality, the United States has absolutely no obligations to Ukraine’s security under any type of accord or framework, including the Budapest Memorandum [6]. Despite this, the United States has very vocally supported Ukraine’s new government, its territorial integrity and its European choice, along with providing economic and nonlethal military assistance. Staking U.S. credibility on the provision of military aid, while Germany continues to see the provision of lethal assistance as the wrong policy, is a dubious proposition. Berlin is disinclined to abet a proxy war in place of a political solution. American credibility is not on the line in what is first and foremost a European effort, especially when Berlin refuses to see such policies as viable. Instead, Western credibility as a whole should be tested by the commitment to aid Ukraine over the long term, and help Kyiv maintain a democratic and European path.

The recommendations for providing Ukraine with specific military capabilities are also unlikely to prove effective. Experts familiar with the reasons for Ukraine’s military defeat understand that it is not due to technical deficits, although those exist across the board in its armed forces, but because its army as a whole is not a capable force. It lacks logistics, training, commanders with experience at maneuvering brigade- or battalion-sized elements, any coordination between volunteer battalions and regular forces, along with independent military analysis of the problems. There is no intelligence, no mobile reserves, no unified command and a political leadership that often seems disconnected from the facts on the ground. Dumping weapons into this operating environment is unlikely to prove a solution to the problems, all of which are fundamental and structural. The only thing clear in this conflict is that Ukraine stands no chance of defeating Russian forces, or the separatists, and that military escalation is a disproportionately losing proposition for Kyiv.

The report reveals that Ukraine lacks any real intelligence or reconnaissance on the ground, and that its assessments of the number of Russian forces in the conflict are in stark disagreement with actual intelligence conducted by NATO. The numbers are incoherent, they vary wildly depending on the Ukrainian adviser you talk to, and most importantly, are not in alignment with U.S./NATO data. The only visible agreement between NATO and Ukraine on the composition of separatist forces appears to be that the overwhelming majority of fighters are locals and likely Ukrainian citizens, which completely undermines the premise of the entire report that Russian forces are the key participants and their casualties will prove a deterrent.

NATO’s estimates generally show a few thousand Russian advisers and experts, while Ukrainian intelligence, which has no technical reconnaissance means, claims up to 400 Russian tanks and 10,000 Russian soldiers currently involved in the conflict. These numbers are so fantastical in range, that they suggest there is an entire Russian armored division fighting in Ukraine, perhaps even two, that have gone unnoticed by U.S. satellites (note Russia’s 4th Guards Division only has 300 tanks and 12,000 personnel required to field them). How can intelligent decisions be made on what weapons to send Ukraine when Kyiv visibly does not know what the Russian forces are, where they are and how many of them there are?

The authors also advocate for strategic air defense, even though one of the few areas where Ukraine’s military remains effective is precisely in air defense, from mobile Osa and Buk systems to strategic S200 and S300 variants. Notably, no airpower has been used by Russia in this war, and Ukraine’s air defenses remain a real problem, even for the modernized Russian air force. The report states that the bulk of casualties during separatist offenses are caused by long-range artillery, while recommending that the most important asset the United States can provide is Javelin “light anti-tank missiles.” These could make a real difference against Russian tanks, though there are visibly relatively few of them in operation in Ukraine. Outside of the fact that the Javelin is an extraordinarily expensive missile, at $250,000 per unit, and far from light (50lb), the problem with this logic is that Russia’s army will adapt instead of suffer needless casualties. It may force the Russian army to rely on heavier standoff weapons that would prove catastrophic for Ukraine. When anti-tank weapons proved a problem for Russian armor in Chechnya, they chose to level Grozny with artillery, for example. Russia’s army today is not the incompetent, underfunded force many remember. Crimea demonstrated that this is a capable army, able to conduct sophisticated operations, and unlikely to be stumped or defeated by the introduction of one weapon system or another.

The report makes little mention of the fact that light counter-battery radars had already been sent by the United States last fall, that Russia had matched these with its own, completely nullifying any advantage they might offer, or that mobile MLRS and artillery are unlikely to fall victim to counter-battery fire in the first place. The real problem is that many of Ukraine’s munitions are long past their service lives, the United States has no replacements for them or a quick fix for the lack of training and experience amongst Ukraine’s soldiers. The administration was right in arguing that any weapon we provide will be matched by Russia, escalating the conflict with no advantage gained for Ukraine.

In the same vein, the authors keenly argue for the provision of armored Humvees. A piece of equipment not only long derided by U.S. troops and due for replacement, but also an unnecessary recommendation in light of Ukraine’s advanced defense industry. Ukraine is highly capable and proficient at producing indigenous lightly armored vehicles and heavy tanks. This is actually Ukraine’s defense industry’s area of expertise, and why the country has been successful as an arms exporter. In fact, its assembly plants have come up with a number of new designs already going into production, while the country still has vast stores of Soviet armor that can be refurbished and are being actively placed into action.

Provision of defensive weapons fails to address Ukraine’s poor tactics on the ground and use of existing weapons, which have included ruinous armored counterattacks, having cost its forces countless T64BV tanks and mechanized equipment and failure to retreat that leaves soldiers to be encircled by separatists. Similarly, radio and secure communications are important, but not an answer to the completely uncoordinated attacks being launched by Ukraine’s army and its volunteers. They are unable to communicate not for shortage of radios, but due to a lack of unity in the war effort, and complete fragmentation of the forces involved.

Finally, UAVs, some of which have already been provided by Germany, will not prove effective, either. The authors of the report recommend the provision of medium-altitude UAVs, after stating that Russian armed forces are operating advanced air defenses throughout eastern Ukraine. In truth, there is video evidence of Russian air defenses including the TorM2, the Pantsir-S1 and the now-infamous BUK that shot down MH17. Medium-altitude drones cannot fly in this kind of air-defense environment. Stating that Russia has air superiority contradicts the recommendation to send such drones, which require the operator to have air superiority.

Again, the point of these criticisms is not that doing nothing to help Ukraine is better than doing something, although the specific recommendations are unlikely to achieve their intended effects. It is that the thrust of these policies is to drag the United States into a proxy conflict with Russia, in an attempt to raise costs for Vladimir Putin, which will be fought out by Ukrainian soldiers and paid for most likely with Ukrainian lives. In reality, nothing short of a difficult political compromise is possible to end this conflict. Kyiv will indeed have to make sacrifices as a result of Russian aggression, it has lost territory, and Moscow is clearly willing to stake everything in this conflict. More than likely the key battles in this war have already been fought, or are being fought right now, and they have proved to be defeats for Ukraine. Javelin anti-tank launchers will not prove to be a silver bullet, but rather an additional escalation, especially when Russia’s military calculates it could destroy Ukraine’s armed forces in a matter of days at will.

In truth, the reason for the current winter offensive that was launched on January 13th is often misunderstood. It is widely recognized in Moscow that signing the Minsk ceasefire was a wholly unforced strategic mistake, as it achieved none of its stated political objectives, while making Russia a party to the conflict with obligations that could subsequently be pointed to by the West. Minsk remains a dead ceasefire because of a fundamental disagreement over the sequencing of how the deal should be implemented, not because Moscow could think of nothing better than to launch a ground offensive in January, the worst month for such operations. Russian leaders will not withdraw their forces, or restore control of the border, until they first see that Kyiv is willing to give political status and recognition to the separatists.

Ukrainian leaders naturally have no desire to grant true political recognition or autonomy to the separatists, and Russia has no interest in abandoning them to be completely crushed by political, economic and military pressure from Ukraine. Hence, Moscow and Kyiv did not fulfill their respective obligations under this agreement, or withdraw troops according to the secret protocol signed on September 19. That protocol stipulated a line of control that neither side honored. The separatists desire more territory to make their enclaves viable, while Ukraine’s leaders didn’t want to deal with the domestic political calamity that would result from admitting defeat or giving up territory for peace. In Kyiv, the leadership is divided, mindful of public sentiment and afraid that if they cut a deal with Moscow, a third Maidan could ensue. Ukraine’s president, Petro Poroshenko, recognizes that he needs to compromise with Russia, but he also needs to be visibly pressed into this by the West, due to the strength of other sentiments in Ukraine and his rivals. Sending arms undermines his position, and instead reinforces those who unrealistically wish to keep fighting.

The reason for the resumption of the current war is that Russia’s leadership has wagered a colossal amount of political capital on its invasion of Ukraine. It is perhaps a matter of life and death for the current political system, and a core interest of Russia that it is unlikely to give up on, no matter the amount of Western political pressure or weapons sent. This is especially so given the casualties will be almost entirely Ukrainian on both sides. After Minsk, the West keenly levied economic and diplomatic pressure for Russia to implement provisions of the ceasefire agreement, while Kyiv had to do essentially nothing except hold the existing line of control. This presented Moscow with either policy capitulation, or continued suffering under the sanctions regime. Either way, the West had time to wait, and Russia did not. For the West, politically it was brilliant, diplomatically it was brilliant, but militarily it was dangerous. Russia has undertaken its only viable option, to launch another offensive, defeat Ukraine and erase the Minsk agreement by forcing Kyiv to sign a new one.

Undoubtedly, there are no easy solutions to the current conflict in Ukraine, only hard choices to be made. Sending weapons without an overall strategy is not a hard choice, but it is one that the United States has readily made before, often with adverse results. Providing anti-tank missiles to the Free Syrian Army did not change Syria’s or Russia’s calculus, but rather prolonged the demise of the FSA at the hands of Assad’s forces. Russia continues to arm Syria, the conflict continues to cost hundreds of thousands of civilian lives and the FSA is almost completely destroyed, but with no resolution in sight. Arming the militias of Libya and conducting air strikes on their behalf, with no strategy to create a Libyan nation or a Libyan army post-Qaddafi has resulted in one of the most disastrous American foreign policies in the region. Iraq is another example that providing weapons does not a fighting, or a successful, army make. Now ISIS forces drive around in American Humvees, while Shia militias have access to M1A1 Abrams tanks and MRAPs. It is important that the United States learn from these mistakes and seek a better outcome for Ukraine.
Arming Ukraine is still a terrible idea
The argument for arming Ukraine is just as awful as it was last year. It is the result of insisting that Western governments must “do something” about the conflict in Ukraine and then overestimating the ability of Western governments to do something that will hasten the end of the conflict. Providing weapons to the weaker side in a lopsided conflict certainly is inconsistent with the search for a peaceful solution, since it encourages the weaker side to continue fighting when it has no chance of prevailing. It creates the impression that the U.S. and its allies will keep continue backing Ukraine’s war effort despite the impossibility of defeating Russia, and that will make Ukraine less willing to accept a settlement. That isn’t going to “stop” Russia from what it is currently doing. As ever, Western governments are not willing to fight for Ukraine, nor should they be, and therefore the means that Western governments might use are bound to be inadequate to the task of “stopping” Russia. There is a real risk of triggering a much larger and more dangerous Russian response by doing this, and it is a risk that the U.S. and its allies must not take.

Notice that the authors of the report fail to acknowledge of the potential costs of this course of action to Ukraine or to the governments that are expected to provide the military aid, nor do they take seriously the possibility it could spur Russia to more aggressive action. If Western governments help to fuel the conflict with arms shipments, they are guaranteeing that Ukraine will be exposed to a longer war that will inflict even more damage on the country. That may impose additional costs on Russia, but it will almost certainly be imposing even greater burdens on Ukraine. At best, it sets Ukraine up for an even bigger defeat, and at worst it risks pulling the U.S. and its allies deeper into the conflict.
And further
One of the many reasons why arming Ukraine is a terrible idea is that it opens the door to demands for ever-increasing military assistance when the initial shipments fail to have the desired effect. Suppose that the administration decides to provide these weapons to Ukraine. If this fails to have the intended deterrent effect, hawks here in the U.S. will insist that the administration must “do more” as they always do. Whenever an aggressive policy fails to achieve its goal, the default hawkish answer is to be more aggressive, and that is bound to happen in this case as well. The administration might drag its feet for a while, but once it has conceded the argument to the hawks it will probably keep agreeing to new demands for larger shipments of weapons. This process will keep repeating itself again and again as the U.S. tries to prop up the much weaker side in an armed conflict in which the U.S. has almost nothing at stake.
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Arming Ukraine is still a terrible idea wrote:Providing weapons to the weaker side in a lopsided conflict certainly is inconsistent with the search for a peaceful solution, since it encourages the weaker side to continue fighting when it has no chance of prevailing.
Well certainly then the right course of action would be for US to start shipping weapons to Russia so as to make it clear to Ukraine that it cannot win. All in the interest of finding a peaceful solution of course.

Joking aside propping up a weaker side in a conflict is pretty much a standard modus operandi in these situations: USSR support for Cuba, US support for Afghanistan, USSR support for Vietnam etc.
In fact the disparity in strength between Ukraine and Russia is much smaller than the disparity between US and Cuba, USSR and Afghanistan or US and North Vietnam during those conflicts.
US however is not likely to start dumping weapons in Ukraine nor should they. Rebuilding armed forces of a country is a long process and ultimately time is on US side: Ukrainian desire to be independent from Russia is not going anywhere nor is the fact that Russian economy is barely 12% of US economy. US can maintain sanctions on Russia and at the same time gradually increase financial and military support for Ukraine that Russia can't hope to match.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

While the article makes it clear that simply sending weapons to Ukraine is a bad idea (since they seemingly lack the ability to use the ones they currently have), it doesn't say what would be a better solution. Somehow I doubt that simply surrendering the contested regions is going to help in the long term.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

The second paragraph of the first quote block says what to send instead of guns. Damon phone
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Kane Starkiller wrote: Joking aside propping up a weaker side in a conflict is pretty much a standard modus operandi in these situations: USSR support for Cuba, US support for Afghanistan, USSR support for Vietnam etc.
In fact the disparity in strength between Ukraine and Russia is much smaller than the disparity between US and Cuba, USSR and Afghanistan or US and North Vietnam during those conflicts.
That would be all well and good if Ukraine was the equivalent of Afghanistan or North Vietnam, which it most certainly is not. Its a lot more like South Vietnam. Nevermind that something being 'standard modus operandi' doesn't make something a good idea, which the example of Afghanistan demonstrates amply.

(Cuba is not analogous to this situation at all - Cuba never fought a war with the United States).
US however is not likely to start dumping weapons in Ukraine nor should they. Rebuilding armed forces of a country is a long process and ultimately time is on US side: Ukrainian desire to be independent from Russia is not going anywhere
This isn't about "the Ukrainian desire to be independent from Russia", which is a fictional concept anyway. Attitudes about Russia, Europe, etc break down on cultural/regional lines throughout Ukraine. There's been plenty of polling on this. The propaganda of "Ukraine is more united than ever!" is a fiction that Westerners tell themselves about Ukraine, not a fact. One need only look at the mass draft evasion going on right now to see how fragile the patriotism and will to go to war in the east is.
nor is the fact that Russian economy is barely 12% of US economy. US can maintain sanctions on Russia
The US does barely any business with Russia - US sanctions on Russia are not the issue. The maintenance of sanctions by European countries against Russia is.
and at the same time gradually increase financial and military support for Ukraine that Russia can't hope to match.
The notion that the US is going to inject the hundreds of billions of dollars that Ukraine needs merely to fix itself, before it fixes its army or disconnects itself from Russia (Russia has been subsidizing Ukraine to the tune of that much for two decades) is comical. The EU has a far greater interest in doing so - but that notion is equally as comical given that the EU has been championing austerity politics for its own members for years. There's no political scope for what would basically amount to a new Marshall Plan for a non-member. Ukraine either gets "fixed" with Russian consent, or it doesn't get fixed.
maddoctor wrote:The second paragraph of the first quote block says what to send instead of guns.
Yeah, this. Given Kiev's government though and its history of corruption, I highly doubt we'll see them achieve it even if the help was forthcoming.
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Vympel wrote:That would be all well and good if Ukraine was the equivalent of Afghanistan or North Vietnam, which it most certainly is not. Its a lot more like South Vietnam. Nevermind that something being 'standard modus operandi' doesn't make something a good idea, which the example of Afghanistan demonstrates amply.

(Cuba is not analogous to this situation at all - Cuba never fought a war with the United States).
Vietnam was under colonial French administration and fought a war of independence. US was basically French successor. Ukraine was under USSR rule and its successor is Russia. How exactly is Ukraine equivalent to South Vietnam in this context?
I don't see why having the second largest Eastern European country as an ally in addition to third largest is a bad idea for US. Ukraine basically fell into its lap.
Cuba never fought a war with US, are you saying Ukraine fought a war with Russia before these events? Americans even had a base in the south of the country like Russia had in Ukraine. Cubans, just like Ukrainians, didn't want to be US lapdog however. USSR, a country, with less than half of US economy exploited it successfully.
Vympel wrote:This isn't about "the Ukrainian desire to be independent from Russia", which is a fictional concept anyway. Attitudes about Russia, Europe, etc break down on cultural/regional lines throughout Ukraine. There's been plenty of polling on this. The propaganda of "Ukraine is more united than ever!" is a fiction that Westerners tell themselves about Ukraine, not a fact. One need only look at the mass draft evasion going on right now to see how fragile the patriotism and will to go to war in the east is.
Referendums of independence are fictional? Turnout for Ukrainian independence referendum was 84.18% and 92.3% voted yes which puts the yes vote at 77.7% of the total population.
What was the percentage of ethnic Ukrainians according to 1989 census? 72.7%. What was the percentage of ethnic Russians? 22.1%
In other words Russians wanted to stay, everyone else wanted out.
Or to compare percentage of yes vote to proportion of ethnic Ukrainians by region.(note that percentage of ethnic Ukrainians is according to 2001 census which may not perfectly correspond to the situation in 1991 but there are unlikely to be monumental differences)
First column is the proportion of ethnic Ukrainians according to 2001 census and the second column is the percentage of yes vote compared to the total voting population of the region, that is including those that didn't vote.

Code: Select all

Crimean ASSR              24   37 
Cherkasy Oblast           93   87
Chernihiv Oblast          94   85
Chernivtsi Oblast         75   81
Dnipropetrovsk Oblast     79   74
Donetsk Oblast            57   64
Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast    98   94
Kharkiv Oblast            71   65
Kherson Oblast            82   75
Khmelnytskyi Oblast       94   90
Kiev Oblast               93   84
Kirovohrad Oblast         90   83
Luhansk Oblast            58   68
Lviv Oblast               95   93
Mykolayiv Oblast          82   75
Odessa Oblast             63   64
Poltava Oblast            91   87
Rivne Oblast              96   89
Sumy Oblast               89   82
Ternopil Oblast           98   96
Vinnytsia Oblast          95   87
Volyn Oblast              97   90
Zakarpattia Oblast        81   77
Zaporizhzhia Oblast       71   73
Zhytomyr Oblast           90   86
Kiev city                 82   75
Sevastopol city           22   40
The only region where majority of the population could be assumed to be against independence is Crimea which is the only place where ethnic Russians are a majority. This cultural/regional divide seems to come down to whether one considers himself Russian or Ukrainian. Hardly surprising. Even in Donetsk and Luhansk more than 50% of the total voting population was for independence however they do have a large percentage of Russians which explains why the rebels were able to attain a critical mass of support. However even there it wouldn't be surprising that close or more than 50% of the population was for a unified Ukraine but are afraid to say it what with all the Cossack volunteers and kind green men from Russia. Certainly rebellion fizzled out in Kharkiv and Odessa where Russians are less than 40% of the population.
Finally mass draft evasion? Has there ever been a country in the history of the world where that hasn't happened? I wasn't aware that unless you are willing to die for it you don't really want something.
Vympel wrote:The US does barely any business with Russia - US sanctions on Russia are not the issue. The maintenance of sanctions by European countries against Russia is.
Sure, but the fact that US economy is almost 10 times larger than Russian economy means that Russia will be exhausted before US even breaks a sweat.
Vympel wrote:The notion that the US is going to inject the hundreds of billions of dollars that Ukraine needs merely to fix itself, before it fixes its army or disconnects itself from Russia (Russia has been subsidizing Ukraine to the tune of that much for two decades) is comical. The EU has a far greater interest in doing so - but that notion is equally as comical given that the EU has been championing austerity politics for its own members for years. There's no political scope for what would basically amount to a new Marshall Plan for a non-member. Ukraine either gets "fixed" with Russian consent, or it doesn't get fixed.
I wasn't aware that USSR injected hundreds of billions of dollars into North Vietnamese economy to fix it before being able to prop it up against US. I also wasn't aware US poured hundreds of billions of dollars into Afghan economy before arming the rebels to fight against USSR. And Ukraine is United Federation of Planets compared to either North Vietnam or Afghanistan. What is comical is the idea that Russia, under whose patronage Ukraine turned into what it is, will fix Ukraine. Subsidied gas that distorts the economy in return for political deference is not the way into the future. Even when Russia could afford to do so.
Call me. -Batman
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Kane Starkiller wrote: Vietnam was under colonial French administration and fought a war of independence. US was basically French successor. Ukraine was under USSR rule and its successor is Russia. How exactly is Ukraine equivalent to South Vietnam in this context?
A corrupt, ineffectual and dysfunctional government with an ineffective military fighting a civil war with a segment of its population that has outside support, obviously. Wars for independence against foreign powers are not even remotely applicable to Ukraine's situation. Ukraine has been a nation state in its own right for 23 years.
I don't see why having the second largest Eastern European country as an ally in addition to third largest is a bad idea for US. Ukraine basically fell into its lap.
Depends upon what you mean by 'ally'. If you mean 'country we have to defend' then it is clearly a very bad idea for a whole host of reasons. Does Ukraine enhance American security? Not at all. America never cared who ruled Ukraine for the past 60 years, and there's certainly no reason to start now. Its an equally bad idea in terms of 'country we have to throw money at to fix'.
Cuba never fought a war with US, are you saying Ukraine fought a war with Russia before these events?
I have no idea what you mean. We're talking about warfare, are we not? The US has never fought a war with Cuba. Ukraine is embroiled in a civil war with Russian connivance. What's the controversy about this point?
Americans even had a base in the south of the country like Russia had in Ukraine. Cubans, just like Ukrainians, didn't want to be US lapdog however. USSR, a country, with less than half of US economy exploited it successfully.
Define 'successfully'. What did the USSR get out of Cuba, exactly? Anything of consequence? Of course not.
Referendums of independence are fictional?
No, they're irrelevant to what is going on now. Independence referendums over two decades ago have less than nothing to do with Ukraine's current relationship with Russia and Europe. There's literally no connection between these two concepts. It is perfectly possible to desire independence from the Soviet Union (which you conflate with Russia) and still desire close relationships with Russia, which is a real thing in Ukraine, and obviously so given the very close economic ties.
Finally mass draft evasion? Has there ever been a country in the history of the world where that hasn't happened? I wasn't aware that unless you are willing to die for it you don't really want something.
To the extent that its happening in Ukraine? I highly doubt it.
Sure, but the fact that US economy is almost 10 times larger than Russian economy means that Russia will be exhausted before US even breaks a sweat.
I don't see what that has to do with anything that is actually going on right now.
I wasn't aware that USSR injected hundreds of billions of dollars into North Vietnamese economy to fix it before being able to prop it up against US. I also wasn't aware US poured hundreds of billions of dollars into Afghan economy before arming the rebels to fight against USSR. And Ukraine is United Federation of Planets compared to either North Vietnam or Afghanistan.
This is what you said: "US can maintain sanctions on Russia and at the same time gradually increase financial and military support for Ukraine that Russia can't hope to match."

I responded by saying there's no chance of this happening, and pointing out Ukraine needed assistance to fix its entire country. You've now come back by pointing to other countries that have nothing to do with Ukraine, in nowhere near equivalent situations. You haven't actually refuted my point.

(I shouldn't even have to point out how utterly ridiculous it is to liken Ukraine's regime to Afghan rebels or North Vietnam. They're the South, not the North - to the extent these kinds of analogies are remotely useful)
What is comical is the idea that Russia, under whose patronage Ukraine turned into what it is, will fix Ukraine. Subsidied gas that distorts the economy in return for political deference is not the way into the future. Even when Russia could afford to do so.
I never said Russia would fix Ukraine. I said Russia's consent was required to do so, because it plainly is. Ukraine can't reform itself if money from its economic ties with Russia is cut off, because it can't afford to. Is equivalent cash coming from the West? No. Ukraine can't reform itself if the war in the east continues, because the war is eating up their economy. Is the West going to pay for Ukraine to keep the war going? No.

Since this began in February 2014, various commentators incensed at Russia's aggression have been telling themselves stories to reassure themselves that a comeuppance for Russia is in the offing - and by that I mean a comeuppance to their satisfaction, as opposed to the largely self-inflicted economic pain Russia is currently enduring. Every single one of those stories is based on the West riding to Ukraine's rescue. After a year in which nothing of the sort has happened, this sort of stuff should've stopped. The only way peace in Ukraine is going to be achieved is if it makes painful concessions that it won't want to make, sorry. There's not going to be some triumphant influx of financial / military largesses to turn back the rebel tide. The most is a trickle of aid to keep the ship afloat, economically speaking. Ukraine is already on the brink of default.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Ukraine's problem is the nonexistence of its own economy, which blows a huge hole in any rearmament plans.

Assalti Frontali
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Vympel wrote:A corrupt, ineffectual and dysfunctional government with an ineffective military fighting a civil war with a segment of its population that has outside support, obviously. Wars for independence against foreign powers are not even remotely applicable to Ukraine's situation. Ukraine has been a nation state in its own right for 23 years.
North Vietnam was 5%-10% of the population of South Vietnam? Where is the support for pro Russian movement throughout villages in Ukraine that are not controlled by pro Russian rebels? Who faced total collapse a few months ago if there were not for magical opening on the Mariupol front and sudden magical increase in fighting capability?
Ukraine might have been an independent nation for 23 years but Ukrainian people had a sense of their own identity long before that.
Vympel wrote:Depends upon what you mean by 'ally'. If you mean 'country we have to defend' then it is clearly a very bad idea for a whole host of reasons. Does Ukraine enhance American security? Not at all. America never cared who ruled Ukraine for the past 60 years, and there's certainly no reason to start now. Its an equally bad idea in terms of 'country we have to throw money at to fix'.
I'm having trouble imagining when the word ally wouldn't mean a country one has to defend. Having Ukraine as an ally means US would stop Russian influence right on its borders. It would mean Ukrainian resources won't be combined with Russian and potentially turned against US. Instead Ukrainian resources will be combined with US resources to be turned against Russia since it is both in Ukrainian and US interest to contain aggressive Russian behaviour. Can Russia decide to outright invade Ukraine? Sure but this is a risk you make every time you ally yourself with someone.

Vympel wrote:I have no idea what you mean. We're talking about warfare, are we not? The US has never fought a war with Cuba. Ukraine is embroiled in a civil war with Russian connivance. What's the controversy about this point?
I mean that you haven't demonstrated how Cuba is not a good example. Cuba was considered by US to be its back yard, USSR butted in, US threatened and tried covert invasions and it even got USSR to back down regarding nuclear missiles but at the end of the day Cuba remained USSR's ally. Ukraine cannot be strangled by Russian navy the way Cuba could've been by US navy therefore US plan to move Ukraine into its camp has at least as much chance of succeeding as USSR move in Cube and probably a much greater chance.
Vympel wrote:Define 'successfully'. What did the USSR get out of Cuba, exactly? Anything of consequence? Of course not.
USSR tried to take on a country whose economy was never less than 2 times larger than its own. The outcome of that battle was arguably preordained so in the final analysis sure one can say it didn't get anything out of it. But during the Cold War having Cuba as an ally did mean a share of insecurity was introduced into the Carribean and free access of Texan and Louisiana ports to open ocean was threatened in a way redirecting US energy and attention from Eurasia.
Vympel wrote:No, they're irrelevant to what is going on now. Independence referendums over two decades ago have less than nothing to do with Ukraine's current relationship with Russia and Europe. There's literally no connection between these two concepts. It is perfectly possible to desire independence from the Soviet Union (which you conflate with Russia) and still desire close relationships with Russia, which is a real thing in Ukraine, and obviously so given the very close economic ties.
If the referendum is irrelevant why does yes vote correspond perfectly to percentage of non-Russians in Ukraine? Pro Russian rebellion went off without a hitch in Crimea where both the "yes" vote and proportion of ethnic non Russians is below 50%. The rebellion caught ground in Donetsk and Luhansk where "yes" vote was around 2/3 of the population and ethnic Ukrainians are less than 60% of the population. And the rebellion fizzled out in Odessa and Kharkiv in which the "yes" vote was also around 2/3 of the population but ethnic Ukrainians are over 60% of the population. And further in Dnipropetrovsk and Zaporizhzhia where ethnic Ukrainians are over 70% of the population it never went beyond a few anti Maidan protests which is not even the same thing as being pro Russian.
Anyway can you link to the polls you are referring to?
For example a poll reported on CNN in May 2014 states:
More than half (56%) said they felt a stronger sense of loyalty to Europe than to Russia, while 19% said they felt more loyal to Russia and 22% said neither. Three percent said they didn't know.
So 19% feel more loyal to Russia than to Europe and what is the percentage of ethnic Russians according to 2001 census? 17.3% And this was before the war in the east heated up. I wonder what those 22% think about Russia now.
Vympel wrote:To the extent that its happening in Ukraine? I highly doubt it.
Are there any numbers regarding the evasion? In either case what does being afraid to die have to do with wanting or not wanting something? Again I ask: does one have to be willing to die for something before you'd concede that they do,in fact, really want it?
Vympel wrote:I don't see what that has to do with anything that is actually going on right now.
Not right now. Right now Russia has a tactical advantage. US economy gives it a long term strategic advantage far beyond what happened in Cold War.
Vympel wrote:This is what you said: "US can maintain sanctions on Russia and at the same time gradually increase financial and military support for Ukraine that Russia can't hope to match."

I responded by saying there's no chance of this happening, and pointing out Ukraine needed assistance to fix its entire country. You've now come back by pointing to other countries that have nothing to do with Ukraine, in nowhere near equivalent situations. You haven't actually refuted my point.

(I shouldn't even have to point out how utterly ridiculous it is to liken Ukraine's regime to Afghan rebels or North Vietnam. They're the South, not the North - to the extent these kinds of analogies are remotely useful)
No chance of happening? Do you have a crystal ball? How much money US and Germany will end up spending on Ukraine is not something you can know unless you are a member of goverment of either country. My point was that US doesn't need to fix everything about Ukraine in other to help it or prop it up.
How exactly did you get the impression that I was likening Ukraine's regime to either Afghanistan or North Vietnam? Those countries were examples of extremely weak and chaotic entities that were successfully propped up in a proxy war. And I'm still baffled by your insistence that Ukraine is the South Vietnam even though it is the rebel held areas that need "Russification" of the conflict and would collapse instantly if not for heavy Russian support.
Stas Bush wrote:Ukraine's problem is the nonexistence of its own economy, which blows a huge hole in any rearmament plans.
Ukraine is an industrial and technological juggernaut compared to countries both US and USSR successfully propped up in the past.
Call me. -Batman
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Well, compared to Cuba or Afghanistan. Which cannot rearm on their own and are totally dependent on whoever is supplying them with weapons now. Sorry, but the case is clear: weak poor small countries fail at rearming themselves if they do not have a stable flow of foreign weapons.

Assalti Frontali
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Kane Starkiller wrote: North Vietnam was 5%-10% of the population of South Vietnam?
I'm not talking about North Vietnam, I'm talking about the internal situation South Vietnam faced. Its American propaganda that the Vietnam War was a war against purely the North, with America on the side of the South.
Where is the support for pro Russian movement throughout villages in Ukraine that are not controlled by pro Russian rebels? Who faced total collapse a few months ago if there were not for magical opening on the Mariupol front and sudden magical increase in fighting capability?
How would you even know that support existed, since the support takes the form of the mere existence of rebels? You can tell yourself all day that the only reason the rebellion exists is because they're all Russians from outside Ukraine, but its plainly bullshit, as the article posted above indicates. Even NATO now is saying that the vast majority of rebels are Ukrainians, with Russian troops in an advisory role. Doesnt' stop Kiev telling bullshit fairy tales about "15,000" and "9,000" troops, but then they were never big on facts since the beginning. Furthermore, the fact that Russia intervened to prevent their military defeat has nothing at all to do with establishing the bona fides of their rebellion. Rebellions are suppressed all the time.
Ukraine might have been an independent nation for 23 years but Ukrainian people had a sense of their own identity long before that.
Some Ukrainians did, some Ukrainians didn't. In any event, you're speaking in purely ideological terms. Ask a Ukrainian if they're willing to endure mass economic havoc by having millions of their citizens barred from working in Russia, the response will be a bit less idealistic than "oh, I love Europe".
I'm having trouble imagining when the word ally wouldn't mean a country one has to defend.
America has plenty of allies it is plainly not willing to defend militarily. Different treaties say different things.
Having Ukraine as an ally means US would stop Russian influence right on its borders. It would mean Ukrainian resources won't be combined with Russian and potentially turned against US. Instead Ukrainian resources will be combined with US resources to be turned against Russia since it is both in Ukrainian and US interest to contain aggressive Russian behaviour. Can Russia decide to outright invade Ukraine? Sure but this is a risk you make every time you ally yourself with someone.
America's not willing to take that risk. No serious foreign policy commentator thinks otherwise. America's trying to pull Ukraine out of Russia's orbit on the cheap. Problem: its not cheap.
I mean that you haven't demonstrated how Cuba is not a good example. Cuba was considered by US to be its back yard, USSR butted in, US threatened and tried covert invasions and it even got USSR to back down regarding nuclear missiles but at the end of the day Cuba remained USSR's ally. Ukraine cannot be strangled by Russian navy the way Cuba could've been by US navy therefore US plan to move Ukraine into its camp has at least as much chance of succeeding as USSR move in Cube and probably a much greater chance.
Its not a good example because unlike Cuba's relationship with the US, Ukraine has massive economic dependency on Russia and an economy in such incredibly poor shape that it needs hundreds of billions of dollars in aid plus painful reforms to allow it to continue as a viable state.
USSR tried to take on a country whose economy was never less than 2 times larger than its own. The outcome of that battle was arguably preordained so in the final analysis sure one can say it didn't get anything out of it. But during the Cold War having Cuba as an ally did mean a share of insecurity was introduced into the Carribean and free access of Texan and Louisiana ports to open ocean was threatened in a way redirecting US energy and attention from Eurasia.
That's a highly dubious argument. The Soviet Navy never had any significant presence in that area and Cuba was no credible threat to it on its own.
If the referendum is irrelevant why does yes vote correspond perfectly to percentage of non-Russians in Ukraine?
Because whether you're Russian or not has nothing to do with your attitudes to the EU, NATO, Europe and Russia.
Pro Russian rebellion went off without a hitch in Crimea where both the "yes" vote and proportion of ethnic non Russians is below 50%. The rebellion caught ground in Donetsk and Luhansk where "yes" vote was around 2/3 of the population and ethnic Ukrainians are less than 60% of the population. And the rebellion fizzled out in Odessa and Kharkiv in which the "yes" vote was also around 2/3 of the population but ethnic Ukrainians are over 60% of the population. And further in Dnipropetrovsk and Zaporizhzhia where ethnic Ukrainians are over 70% of the population it never went beyond a few anti Maidan protests which is not even the same thing as being pro Russian.
Rebellions have as much to do with the successful strangling of said rebellion in the crib by the authorities - or the enabling of that rebellion with direct armed support (Russian troops on the streets assuring that Ukraine could do nothing to stop it) as it does with sentiment.
Anyway can you link to the polls you are referring to?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markadomani ... y-divided/

And your referenced poll:
For example a poll reported on CNN in May 2014 states:

"More than half (56%) said they felt a stronger sense of loyalty to Europe than to Russia, while 19% said they felt more loyal to Russia and 22% said neither. Three percent said they didn't know."

So 19% feel more loyal to Russia than to Europe and what is the percentage of ethnic Russians according to 2001 census? 17.3% And this was before the war in the east heated up. I wonder what those 22% think about Russia now."
I'd imagine they'd feel much the same. The idea that there's been an outbreak of mass patriotism is laughable, given what we've seen.

Ukraine is basically a Hollywood caricature of the Soviet Union at this point - they just passed a law to allow for shooting of deserters, for fuck's sake. Gotta love those European values

But how does this poll contradict what I said? 56% of the population feeling one way and 41% not feeling that way = divided, plainly. This isn't just about loyalty to Russia or Europe.
Are there any numbers regarding the evasion? In either case what does being afraid to die have to do with wanting or not wanting something? Again I ask: does one have to be willing to die for something before you'd concede that they do,in fact, really want it?
Like I said, "they" don't speak for all Ukrainians, and never have. The poll you reference above bears that out amply, and it was also borne out in election after election in Ukraine prior.
Not right now. Right now Russia has a tactical advantage. US economy gives it a long term strategic advantage far beyond what happened in Cold War.
Advantage in what? A new Cold War? Perhaps. That's got absolutely nothing to do with the fate of Ukraine.
No chance of happening? Do you have a crystal ball? How much money US and Germany will end up spending on Ukraine is not something you can know unless you are a member of goverment of either country. My point was that US doesn't need to fix everything about Ukraine in other to help it or prop it up.
I don't need a crystal ball. Past behavior, geopolitical facts, and politics are all I need to know. In a world where the notion of bailing out their own members' massive debts is massively controversial, the idea that Germany of all places is going to underwrite Ukraine in any significant fashion is simply laughable. And 'end up spending' doesn't even enter into it - Ukraine is at the point of economic collapse now. How much longer do you think the Chocolate King is going to be in power? The IMF's patience for Ukraine alone is already running out, since their aid is tied to institution of 'reforms' that simply aren't happening.
How exactly did you get the impression that I was likening Ukraine's regime to either Afghanistan or North Vietnam? Those countries were examples of extremely weak and chaotic entities that were successfully propped up in a proxy war.
Because you think their experience is equivalent to the current geopolitical situation in Ukraine, and it isn't.
And I'm still baffled by your insistence that Ukraine is the South Vietnam even though it is the rebel held areas that need "Russification" of the conflict and would collapse instantly if not for heavy Russian support.
Ukraine would've collapsed months ago if not for the paltry few billions they've gotten from the IMF etc. So what? They're South Vietnam because they're fighting an internal rebellion with a corrupt, useless government and an utterly ineffective military - just like South Vietnam. They lost their chance at victory months ago and their military was broken in the attempt, due to Russia's intervention. Now the rebels are firmly established, and advancing. Kiev's cries of the Russian military being responsible for their 2015 defeats are simply false, even according to NATO. Do you think Hollande and Merkel are rushing to Kiev and Moscow because Kiev isn't in dire straits?

EDIT: and its worth pointing out that this isn't a situation where Russia wants to take over Kiev. All it needs to achieve its objective is to continue to destabilise Ukraine until Ukraine comes to the bargaining table with enough of what Russia wants. Donetsk and Luhansk regions combined accounted, before the war, for 15% of Ukraine's population, 16% of its GDP, 25% of its industrial output, and 27% of its exports. Without them, Ukraine is even worse off economically than it otherwise would be. American support is not going to work. Ukraine has to bargain.

November 2014 article, just as true now as it was then
Vice President Joe Biden traveled to Kiev last week for his third visit to Ukraine's capitalin the past seven months. He arrived bearing gifts: additional nonlethal military aid for the embattled Ukrainian government, including body armor, helmets, night-vision goggles, and countermortar radar. The first three of 20 promised countermortar radar systems were flown to Ukraine aboard a cargo plane accompanying Air Force Two the day the U.S. vice president arrived. Following the Nov. 3 separatist "elections"reports of Russian tanks rolling across the border, and with the Minsk cease-fire agreements in tatters and almost 1,000 dead in the past two and a half months, this quite literal "deliverable" for Biden's visit -- combined with some tough words in public for Russian President Vladimir Putin ("Do what you agreed to do, Mr. Putin") -- is certainly appropriate. But let's hope that the new kit and bravado gave Biden the public cover needed to make a far more important point to President Petro Poroshenko: Ukraine needs to make a deal with Russia if it wants to survive this crisis.

A political settlement would be far more important for Ukraine in the short to medium term than Western support -- even more important than the lethal aid that Sen. John McCain is demanding, let alone the helmets and body armor that Biden delivered. And while the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement might be critical for charting a reform path for Ukraine's future, the lack of a deal with Russia could easily render it irrelevant. That document was negotiated based on an assumption that economic ties with Russia would continue uninterrupted. Compensating Ukraine for the severing of those ties was not something Brussels ever contemplated.

Ukraine's economy is highly dependent on Russia across a range of sectors, a legacy of its key role in Soviet-era production chains. The most oft-discussed dependency is, of course, natural gas, the critical energy input for Ukrainian industry and the primary heating fuel for Ukrainians' homes. In 2013 alone, Ukraine imported 27 billion cubic meters of Russian gas and paid approximately $11 billion for it. And there is no feasible alternative to gas from Russia in the short to medium term -- both for heating Ukraine through the winter and for powering its major industrial enterprises in the metals and chemical industries. Even if all possible pipelines were operating at full capacity, reverse flow from Europe could provide at most 12 billion cubic meters. And the gas relationship with Moscow is also a key source of fiscal stability for Kiev. The Ukrainian coffers received approximately $3 billion to $3.1 billion from Gazprom in transit fees in 2013 -- a critical cash injection given the ballooning budget deficit and national debt.

But Ukraine's dependency on Russia is certainly not limited to gas imports: A third of its 2013 exports went to Russia (about the same as went to the European Union). That amount will certainly be lower in 2014, and the EU's share will certainly be higher as a result of Brussels's May 2014 decision to lower barriers to Ukrainian imports. However, the structure of Ukraine's exports to the two markets differs dramatically. Europe mostly buys metal ore, ferrous metals, grain, and other agricultural goods from Ukraine. Russia, by contrast, imports machinery, transport services, and industrial products -- i.e. value-added goods and services that tend to provide not only more jobs but also higher-paying ones.

Furthermore, millions of Ukrainians work in Russia and send money home to support their families. For 2013, the National Bank of Ukraine calculated remittances sent from Russia at $2.62 billion, but that number counts only formal bank transfers and money sent through international transfer services. Given the ease of crossing back and forth, presumably Ukrainians working in Russia bring home in cash or in goods at least as much if not more than what passes through the banking system. In other words, remittances from Russia were probably around 3 percent of GDP in 2013.

Putin has used the conflict in Ukraine's eastern Donetsk and Luhansk regions (aka the Donets Basin, or the Donbas) to put the screws on Kiev, and he could dial up the instability there at will. But the conflict in the Donbas also provides him with additional economic leverage. Before the conflict, the Donetsk and Luhansk regions combined accounted for 15 percent of Ukraine's population, 16 percent of its GDP, 25 percent of its industrial output, and 27 percent of its exports. In short, Ukraine without the Donbas would be in an even more unsustainable economic position than it already is today. And the only way for Ukraine to regain full control of it is through an agreement with Russia.

So, from an economic standpoint alone, a lasting political settlement between Moscow and Kiev is clearly necessary. So why isn't a process to make one happen even on the agenda?

On one level, the answer is straightforward:Key conditions needed for a productive conflict resolution process are utterly absent. These include some overlap in the parties' goals, allowing for a potential negotiated outcome that all sides can claim as a victory; a degree of flexibility in negotiating positions; an overriding shared interest in getting a deal; and domestic support for compromise.

Let's examine the parties' goals. There has been a lot of speculation about Russia's aims in Ukraine, ranging from accusations of new Anschluss to allegations of a manufactured war intended to boost domestic approval ratings. But actually, Moscow's objectives were made clear very early in the crisis: On March 15, the day before the so-called "referendum" in Crimea, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov handed U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry a draft text of a "Friends of Ukraine" international action plan. The Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs published the proposal online two days later. The key demands in the document are neutrality, nonexclusive geoeconomic arrangements, and decentralization of authority from Kiev to the regions.

What about the Ukrainian and Western goals? Nominally, the EU-U.S. strategic goal for Ukraine, shared by the current government in Kiev, is both straightforward and breathtakingly ambitious: to create a Western-oriented, Western-integrated, prosperous, territorially integral, secure, and democratic Ukraine.

This examination of the parties' goals paints a rather bleak picture. The goals of the parties to any future settlement to this crisis have only one thing in common: Achieving one side's goals necessarily entails undermining the other side's.

Meanwhile, Russian and Ukrainian leaders are preparing their publics for confrontation, not compromise. As Poroshenko recently tweeted, "We are prepared for a scenario of total war." Moreover, in Ukraine, compromise with Russia is nearly akin to treason. While talking to Kiev is not as taboo in Moscow, it would be politically impossible for any Russian government, and particularly Putin's government, to be seen to have "lost" in what is portrayed there as a battle for Ukraine.

If we imagine a negotiation between Putin and Poroshenko conducted in a political vacuum, without the historical legacy of the EU association process, the war, the Crimea annexation, etc., it is not inconceivable that they could reach a deal. The contours of the compromise would likely include: reaffirmation of the reality of Ukraine's nonalignment; mutually satisfactory trade arrangements among Russia, Ukraine, and the EU; implementation of a decentralization plan somewhat more ambitious than Poroshenko's June proposals, but significantly less far-reaching than Russia's March proposals; a return of full Ukrainian control over its border with Russia, perhaps with an international peacekeeping force on the ground in the Donbas; and so on.

The events of the past year, particularly Russia's brazen actions in Ukraine, make this scenario seem more like a fairy tale than a historical counterfactual. The problem for Ukraine and its Western partners is that the Kremlin does not need a deal to achieve its baseline objectives in this conflict. It could do so by bringing Ukraine to its knees economically or by continuing to sow instability in the east of the country, which effectively makes it impossible for the government in Kiev to pursue Putin's nightmare of a Ukraine in NATO and the EU. Moscow would prefer a negotiated settlement over these scenarios, if only because it would be far less costly. But it does not need one. The same cannot be said for Ukraine.

Notwithstanding Kiev's sometimes triumphalist rhetoric, Ukraine clearly needs a deal.

For Western policymakers, it is this factor -- Russia's strong bargaining position, relative to both Ukraine and the West -- that ultimately makes this crisis so different from others in the post-Cold War period. Never before have they faced a major nuclear power as an adversary in a regional dispute occurring in that power's backyard. In Kosovo, Russia was an opponent, but Kosovo barely registered in the hierarchy of Russian national security imperatives. Ukraine, by contrast, ranks just short of national survival. And eastern Ukraine is one of a few places beyond Russia's borders in which Moscow can deliver the assets required to sustain an insurgency. Even if it were to receive the much-ballyhooed lethal military assistance from the United States, Ukraine cannot defeat such an insurgency if Russia remains determined to prevent it from doing so.

In all the bad news about the breakdown of the Minsk agreements in recent weeks, it's easy to miss the silver lining. First, Putin and Poroshenko demonstrated that they could in fact negotiate a deal; apparently, they hammered out the parameters of what became the first Minsk agreement through direct talks. That two countries embroiled in a bitter conflict would have difficulty implementing their first attempt at a negotiated settlement should be no surprise; it would have been truly shocking if they had succeeded to go from war to partnership overnight. Second, despite all the public rancor, joint work on some Minsk-related activities continues: A Joint Center for Control and Coordination, manned by Russian and Ukrainian military officers, continues to demarcate the line of contact and facilitate the cease-fire.

The challenge for the West is to couple support for Ukraine with a diplomatic strategy to help Kiev build on the remnants of Minsk to achieve broader and better-functioning arrangements with Moscow in order to de-escalate this crisis. The United States should be encouraging and facilitating talks with just as much, if not more, gusto as it delivers military assistance. Constructive involvement and advice from senior U.S. diplomats might have led to a more robust first attempt than the Minsk agreements. But thus far Washington seems more interested in delivering body armor than deploying special envoys.

Showing up in Kiev with a public emphasis on encouraging Ukraine to make a new deal with Russia would have been politically impossible for the U.S. vice president. So let's hope that the radar airdrop gave Biden the leverage to be his usual blunt self during his closed-door meetings with Ukraine's leaders. For Ukraine to survive this crisis, it needs a settlement. There is no alternative.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/f ... ar-ukraine
In Brussels and other European capitals, the fear of Vladimir Putin is becoming palpable. The mood has changed in a matter of weeks from one of handwringing impotence over Ukraine to one of foreboding.

The anxiety is encapsulated in the sudden rush to Moscow by Angela Merkel and François Hollande. To senior figures closely involved in the diplomacy and policymaking over Ukraine, the Franco-German peace bid is less a hopeful sign of a breakthrough than an act of despair.

“There’s nothing new in their plan, just an attempt to stop a massacre,” said one senior official.

Carl Bildt, the former Swedish foreign minister, said a war between Russia and the west was now quite conceivable. A senior diplomat in Brussels, echoing the broad EU view, said arming the Ukrainians would mean war with Russia, a war that Putin would win.

Announcing the surprise mission to Kiev and Moscow, Hollande sounded grave and solemn. The Ukraine crisis, he said, started with differences, which became a conflict, which became a war, and which now risked becoming “total war”.

Anders Fogh Rasmussen, the former Danish prime minister and until recently the head of Nato, publicly voiced fears that Putin could expand what is seen as Soviet revisionism to countries now in Nato and the EU. In the Baltics, Putin might risk a little exercise in “hybrid warfare”, he said, just to test how the western alliance would react.

That Merkel has gone to Moscow is telling in itself and speaks to the sudden gravity of the situation. The Russian-speaking German chancellor has talked to the German-speaking Putin more than 40 times in the past year as the main western mediator on Ukraine. But until Friday she had never gone to Moscow. Only a few weeks ago she vetoed a summit in Kazakhstan with Putin because she believed there was no point negotiating with someone she no longer trusted.

Advertisement

Putin is demanding that a large tract of eastern Ukraine, taken by force by his separatist proxies in recent weeks, be granted internationally licensed autonomy and that a new frontline be recognised as a basis for a putative ceasefire.

The parallel might be 1991 in Croatia when the Serbs took a quarter of the country and then consolidated their grip behind lines patrolled by UN peacekeepers. It crippled and destabilised Croatia.

European policymakers say this is Putin’s aim in Ukraine. In Croatia the land-grab lasted four years until Zagreb, gradually armed by the Americans and Europeans, quickly routed the Serbs militarily.

The big difference then was that the Serbs were stretched by a bigger war next door in Bosnia where eventually Nato bombed them to the negotiating table. That will not happen with the Russians.

Arming the Ukrainians, meanwhile, will open up big divisions between the Americans and most Europeans. Putin is playing on those divisions as he plays on splits between the Europeans. He does not need to try very hard. The divisions are ever-present over sanctions.

On Monday the EU will impose more sanctions, extending a blacklist of pro-Russia separatists and Russians by 19 names. These penalties are minor. The broader economic sanctions in force against Russian banks and companies are more serious. They lapse in July unless extended by all EU governments.

Last year the biggest opponent was Matteo Renzi, the Italian prime minister, whose then foreign minister, Federica Mogherini, now coordinates EU foreign policy. The new leftwing pro-Russia Greek government may be this summer’s problem.

The sanctions policy has so far held up, but is showing acute strains. Senior diplomats from EU governments regularly say the sanctions are hurting but are not working because they have not changed Putin’s behaviour. The EU is split in two, with Britain leading the pro-sanctions side and a sizeable group complaining that the punishment has cost the EU an estimated 15% of exports to Russia. Germany is the pivot, the swing power.

Putin is increasingly seen as a reckless gambler who calls bluffs and takes risks, and is inscrutable, paranoid and unpredictable. Trying to work out what he wants is guesswork. The Europeans sound scared.

Ukraine is a huge problem for Europe, not least the dawning realisation that fixing it will cost tens of billions and will take a very long time. But for Europe it is becoming clear that the real nightmare is not Ukraine, but Putin’s Russia.
Well, this is the most terrifying article I've read in a while.

Anyone care to comment on the likelihood of nuclear war?