Neil Armstrong has died

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Alerik the Fortunate
Jedi Knight

Re: Neil Armstrong has died

Post by Alerik the Fortunate »

A better memorial would be to make spaceflight cost effective enough to make it reasonable to raise the first stage and mount it on the moon for display. I feel sad that he died just in time to see the effective end of the American manned space program, though perhaps Rutan and others gave him some hope for continued development.
Every day is victory.
No victory is forever.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:If I had a flag it would be at half-mast. Armstrong most definitely deserves for flags to be at half-mast in his honor. I mean, we did it for Whitney Houston for God's sake...why not Neil Armstrong? :banghead:

That being said...I'm sure Armstrong wouldn't want any special treatment. The sign of a true hero is modesty, and Armstrong had that in droves.
Agreed. I feel it telling though who the American people choose to really memorialize.

As far as conspiracy theorists - I think more of them should try and confront Buzz Aldrin. :lol: Armstrong's last interview I think gives a sufficient middle finger to conspiracy theorists (some excerpts of which are here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/ ... -interview):
"People love conspiracy theories," he replied. "I mean, they are very attractive. But it was never a concern to me because I know one day, somebody is going to go fly back up there and pick up that camera I left."
We can only hope.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

White House Press Office wrote:As a mark of respect for the memory of Neil Armstrong, I hereby order, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, that on the day of his interment, the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset on such day. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this
twenty-seventh day of August, in the year of our Lord two thousand twelve, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-seventh.
BARACK OBAMA
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

About time the flags are to be at half mast.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Yeah, about darn time.

Godspeed Neil Armstrong...godspeed.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

:( my deepest thanks and admiration to him, as well as the thousands of scientists, engineers, pilots, technicians that worked and dreamed so hard as to reach the moon. My I only hope is that we manage to follow his and their example.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Nixon Speech that would have been said if the landing failed

I figured this was worth posting...a very interesting speech, and moving in its simplicity (at least the part relating to Armstrong and Aldrin's sacrifice). Actually quite beautiful in parts.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Forget the conspiracy crazies, forget the negativity. They aren't worth a moment's thought. Have look at the photos Armstrong and Aldrin took on the moon.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

The following gallery gives a pretty good overview of Armstrong's NASA career: http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-082712a.html
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Apparently Neil Armstrong used to tell really unfunny moon jokes, then pause and say, "I guess you had to be there."

Goodbye, Neil. You inspired me.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Well on my way to work today I noticed that the High School and Middle school's flags weren't at half mast. I contacted the school district and told they'd better get it done.

Thankfully Weber State's Flags have been displayed correctly since Monday.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

The flags at my college are all at half-mast, so good on them.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Isolder74 wrote:Well on my way to work today I noticed that the High School and Middle school's flags weren't at half mast. I contacted the school district and told they'd better get it done.

Most public schools are not in session yet, so give 'em some slack.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Dalton wrote:
Isolder74 wrote:Well on my way to work today I noticed that the High School and Middle school's flags weren't at half mast. I contacted the school district and told they'd better get it done.

Most public schools are not in session yet, so give 'em some slack.
Actually, if he's in Ogden, Utah (from googling Weber state, is where his uni is), then schools there started this past Monday.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

...Jesus. I was so busy today I didn't even think to notice if the flag was at half mast where I work.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

wow. I actually heard about this on the radio, and had to beg my mom and sis to keep the channel on. Farewell Lance Armstrong, you truly were the greatest man
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Darth Yan wrote:wow. I actually heard about this on the radio, and had to beg my mom and sis to keep the channel on. Farewell Lance Armstrong, you truly were the greatest man
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Was in a bit of a rush. A more concise thing is. Wow that was awful. It actually took a few seconds to sink in when I heard it.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Darth Yan wrote:Sorry if I wasn't clear. Was in a bit of a rush. A more concise thing is. Wow that was awful. It actually took a few seconds to sink in when I heard it.
No, the problem was that you said "Lance Armstrong," who is quite alive. The astronaut who walked on the moon, Neil Armstrong, is the one who passed away.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Sorry. Farewell Neil Armstrong. You truly were one of the greatest men alive
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Just shut the fuck up, please.
XXXI
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Phantasee wrote:Just shut the fuck up, please.
That's a rude thing to say. The guy made a mistake, a dumb one. But you don't have to use that as excuse to act like an ass you know.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Sarevok wrote:
Phantasee wrote:Just shut the fuck up, please.
That's a rude thing to say. The guy made a mistake, a dumb one. But you don't have to use that as excuse to act like an ass you know.
Thank you Hall Monitor Sarevok. Back on track please.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Armstrong is set to be buried at sea.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/sp ... 57647560/1
-A.L.