Create an Iraq forum?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Create a Iraq forum for the war?

Poll ended at 2003-03-23 01:16pm

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes: 34

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Create an Iraq forum?

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Should a forum be added for the duration of the war in Iraq, seeing how off topic is being swamped and the war has barely begun?
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Nah, I think OT is adequate.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

Yes.
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Yea

Post by MKSheppard »

I also nominate myself to be moderator of such a forum
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

I say yes, but in respect to creating a political forum where this would reside. A place where we can argue about potentially heated topics and leave this place for more important things like "what toothpaste do you like?"
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Yes, if ST:Nemesis deserved a temp forum then a major war should definately earn a right to have a temp forum. Right now over 50% of teh posts are about this and basically most of teh big boys are hanging around those particular threads so why not?
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Sea Skimmer

Re: Yea

Post by Sea Skimmer »

MKSheppard wrote:I also nominate myself to be moderator of such a forum
I nominate myself, since such an action wouldn't result in a impulsion of the universe.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Re: Yea

Post by Stravo »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
MKSheppard wrote:I also nominate myself to be moderator of such a forum
I nominate myself, since such an action wouldn't result in a impulsion of the universe.
The thought of Shep as a mod brings a twisted and cruel smile to my face....but no, we cannot be that cruel.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

To be honest, I was thinking that Shep would be a good mod for the Politics forum.

Yes, I have lost my mind. It's stress, I tell ya. STRESS BECAUSE I CAN'T WATCH/LISTEN TO MY BASKETBALL!!!!
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

*shrugs*

Either or, but if it was in its own forum, it would make scanning through the various war threads easier. So I'll vote yes.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Since I posted my thoughts of this about an hour ago I think it's clear that I'm a yes.

Oh and I think Shep should be the mod, but I am an evil sadistic bastard so my judgement may be off.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Yes, I think that's a fabulous idea.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Zaia wrote:Yes, I think that's a fabulous idea.
Me as a mod of the Iraqi forum, or the idea of the forum? :twisted:
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Where will the posts go once the war is over with?

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee
Location: 6 hr 45 min R.A. and -16 degrees 43 minutes declination

Post by Sir Sirius »

Yes, to a temporary Iraq forum, and make Sheppard the mod of that place, he's evil enough for the task.

Oh, and if Shep becomes a mod he will need a custom title, I suggest 'Generalfeldmarschall'. Goes well with the Rommel avatar I think.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

MKSheppard wrote:
Zaia wrote:Yes, I think that's a fabulous idea.
Me as a mod of the Iraqi forum, or the idea of the forum? :twisted:
Both are fine by me. :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

I don't think we need a forum. I'd recommend a couple of Iraq war stickies, on which we could post updates.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Yes to temporary forum, but we don't need additional mods.
Supermod
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I dislike the stickies idea. A temp forum is better
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

I'm all in for the idea!

Shep as a mod? That could be intresting... ;)
"Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

make it a permenant political forum. we'll be talking about something, always.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

MKS would make a decent mod for a Gulf War forum provided the topic was restricted to factual discussions on what is happening rather than ethical/political discussions on the wisdom of going to war in the first place. He knows his stuff well enough to keep the first kind of discussions in order but it wouldn't be a good idea to trust him to act impartially when dealing with the latter kind of arguments.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

I'd volunteer, though I'd probably be too lenient :?
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Enforcer Talen wrote:make it a permenant political forum. we'll be talking about something, always.
We already had a thread on that. It didn't happen. Anyway a temp forum can always become permenant later.
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Actually, it seems to still be being debated. No mod has locked the thread yet.