Finland, land of uneducated, starving murderers

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Re: Finland, land of uneducated, starving murderers

Post by Winston Blake »

mr friendly guy wrote:
Spyder wrote: Underarm bowling.
You guys are still sore over that? :D

I will say this for you guys. You don't seem to have a perchance for military adventurism with the Americans that we seem to love.
You seem to have suffered from an acute gallipoli deficiency in your early school years.
Robert Gilruth to Max Faget on the Apollo program: “Max, we’re going to go back there one day, and when we do, they’re going to find out how tough it is.”
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Winston Blake wrote:
mr friendly guy wrote:
Spyder wrote: Underarm bowling.
You guys are still sore over that? :D

I will say this for you guys. You don't seem to have a perchance for military adventurism with the Americans that we seem to love.
You seem to have suffered from an acute gallipoli deficiency in your early school years.
I am pretty sure Gallipoli was planned by the British politician, later Prime Minister Winston Churchill, and the ANZACs attacked Gallipoli several years before America joined WWI. None of which was of course taught in my early school years, them being more concern about the gist of ANZAC day. Of course my main point still stands regardless, although I was referring to our more recent periods than WWI, such as the debacle in Iraq.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I think he means that if Australia better remembered Gallipoli, they wouldn't be so keen to go off and fight other people's wars today.
XXXI
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Considering my statement about our military adventurism was meant to be sarcastic, ie a bad thing, I don't see how the interpretation that his statement meant not being keen to fight wars if we remembered Gallipoli better could possibly apply to my statement. Although I concede he could have missed the sarcasm.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Thread about Scandanavia

Aus and NZ hijack

lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

Whoa whoa whoa, I was just saying that Australia has this big cultural thing about Gallipoli proving we were 'our own nation' or whatever. So regardless of how often we say we're not glorifying war, the basic idea of sending heroic soldiers off to join in with foreign wars (a 'penchant for military adventurism') is practically part of our national myth. I was assuming that New Zealand doesn't have this issue - am I wrong?
Robert Gilruth to Max Faget on the Apollo program: “Max, we’re going to go back there one day, and when we do, they’re going to find out how tough it is.”
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

You are aware there were New Zealanders at Gallipoli? And in Vietnam? And East Timor? And in Afghanistan? In fact, due to the sheer number of soldiers from both countries integrated into each other's armed forces you can pretty much state that if Australian soldiers were there, New Zealanders were too. So I'd say it's more or less the same but with less hating the Aboriginals thrown in.
Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

Alkaloid wrote:You are aware there were New Zealanders at Gallipoli? And in Vietnam? And East Timor? And in Afghanistan?
Yes :roll:. I was talking about culture.
It was an off the cuff remark. I failed to recognise that mr-friendly-guy was taking a shot at America and not military adventurism in general. I withdraw the comment.