India polio-free, declares WHO

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

The World Health Organisation has removed India’s name from the list of the polio-ridden countries of the world. Union Health Minister, Ghulam Nabi Azad informed this on Saturday while addressing the Polio Summit, 2012, inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in New Delhi. On January 12, this year, India officially marked the first year in history to record no new cases of polio.Meanwhile, Prime Minister Singh, at the summit, said that apart from achieving full immunisation against polio, the government’s main aim is to provide nutrition, hygiene and safe drinking water for all.
Link to video

Excellent news.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
kc8tbe
Padawan Learner

Re: India polio-free, declares WHO

Post by kc8tbe »

This is good news. Unfortunately, India's neighbor Pakistan is not polio-free. Even though polio may no longer be endemic, I forsee additional cases in India's future :-(
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

If they can get it down to zero per billion for one year, I doubt there will be more than a very few more. If I were in their shoes, I think one of the first things I'd have done to fight polio would be to build up a 'firebreak' of vaccinated regions wherever travellers from neighboring, not-polio-free countries were likely to come.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

If there will be an external source, it won't be the travellers, it will be the illegal immigrants. The Pakistani border is protected, yes, but still has gaps; the Bangladeshi border is porous as hell.

Glad to hear this news. Hope it stays at zero.
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

next step - bangaldesh!
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee