Kevin Rudd steps down as FM, will possibly make run for PM.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Kevin Rudd steps down as FM, will possibly make run for PM.

Post by Alkaloid »

Link
Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd has announced his resignation at a press conference in Washington DC at 1.20am local time, 5.20pm AEDT.

He said he no longer had the support of the Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, and had no option but to resign.

When it comes to expressing our anger, Kevin Rudd's leaked tape highlights the glaring gender divide.

After midnight ... Kevin Rudd.

"I cannot continue to serve as foreign minister if I do not have the Prime Minister’s support and so I have decided to do the honourable thing and the honourable thing is to resign."

He said the reign of "faceless men" and their iron grip on the control of the Labor leadership must end.

He called the leadership brawl a "soap opera" and said he would not have "anything to do with it".

Mr Rudd said the "ongoing saga" was damaging the business community and "my good friend Anna Bligh" who is contesting the Queensland election.

"I feel very uncomfortable doing this from Washington rather than in Australia but I don’t feel I have a choice," Mr Rudd said.

He said he would return to Brisbane tomorrow and will consult his family and electorate before deciding what his political future is before Parliament returns on Monday.

No 'stealth attack'

"There is no way I will ever be party to a stealth attack on a sitting prime minister who was elected by the people."

He said the Prime Minister's failure to repudiate Simon Crean and other cabinet ministers' attacks on him throughout the week had been central to his decision to resign as Foreign Minister.

Mr Rudd took aim at Ms Gillard’s poor standing in the polls.

Mr Rudd said there had been some "similar factors at play" in June 2010 when he lost the prime ministership.

"It's time for some plain speaking on this," he said.

"The truth is I can only serve as foreign minister if I have the confidence of Prime Minister Gillard and her senior ministers.

'Faceless men'

"In recent days Mr [Simon] Crean and a number of other faceless men have publicly attacked my integrity and therefore my fitness to serve as a minister in the government.

"When challenged today on these attacks Prime Minister Gillard chose not to repudiate them.

"I can only reluctantly conclude that she therefore shares these views."

"There is one overriding question for my colleagues and that is who is best placed to defeat Tony Abbott," he said.

"Tony Abbott is on track to win and has been for a long time."

Sad to leave

Mr Rudd said he was sad to leave the office. It was the second time he had resigned from high office - the first as Prime Minister after the 2010 leadership coup - and that the two events shared similarities.

"The simple truth is I cannot continue to serve as foreign minister if I do not have Prime Minister Gillard's support," he said.

"I therefore believe the only honourable thing, and the only honourable course of action, is for me to resign."

Australia must be governed by the people, not party factions, Mr Rudd said.

"I promise you this - there is no way, no way, that I will ever be part of a stealth attack on a sitting prime minister elected by the people," he said.

"We all know that what happened then was wrong and it must never happen again."

Mr Rudd said he had few options in announcing his resignation overseas.

"The truth is I feel very uncomfortable doing this from Washington and not in Australia," Mr Rudd said.

"But I don't feel like I have a choice given the responsibilities over the days ahead."

Mr Rudd said the ongoing leadership speculation about the federal party was hurting Labor's prospects in the coming Queensland election.

He said the saga was bad for his friend, Queensland premier Anna Bligh.

"I believe the good people of Queensland deserve some clear space over the coming month as they make up their minds on a very important decision on the future of Queensland, my home state," he said.

Mr Rudd's daughter Jessica tweeted:

Jessica Rudd @Jess_Rudd

Effing proud of you, Dad. xxxx
22 Feb 12

Retweet
Favorite

His wife Therese Rein responded: "Me too, Kevin xxxx".

Mr Rudd said he would fly out of Washington tomorrow morning and he is due to arrive home in Brisbane on Friday morning.

"Under no circumstances do I want Australia’s international reputation brought into disrepute because of this ongoing saga,’’ he said.

‘‘Therefore, Ambassador (Kim) Beazley will discharge my functions here on my behalf in Washington tomorrow and the permanent secretary of my department, Dennis Richardson, will represent me in London and in Tunis.’’

He ended the extraordinary press conference without taking questions, saying there was "much, much to do".

Abbott responds

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott was quick to respond to the unprecendented move by the Foreign Minister.

"Kevin Rudd has confirmed two things – that the faceless men are running the Labor Party and that the instability at the top of this government is damaging our country," he said.

"Kevin Rudd’s statement tonight confirms that this government is unworthy to continue in office."

Emerson to act as Foreign Minister

Craig Emerson will act as Australia's Foreign Minister.

Mr Emerson, presently the Trade Minister, will take on Foreign Affairs responsibility immediately.

But a senior Labor source said decision on a permanent replacement for Mr Rudd was not expected for some time.

The Prime Minister now must decide whether to reshuffle her front bench as anticipation builds that Mr Rudd will challenge for the top job.

This will bring matters to a head: Bligh

Premier Anna Bligh said from her campaign bus: "Well I said earlier this week that this needed to be resolved. I presume that this decision will actually bring this matter to a head. I think for the sake of the country it has to be resolved, certainly for Queensland and for this campaign it’s important.

“I note that Kevin says he understands that this whole issue has not been good for this campaign. He’s right about that. I share his views and I’m glad to see it being brought to a head."

“Kevin Rudd and I have been friends for a very long time. He’s my local federal member. He’s a great member of Parliament. I guess we’re in for some pretty interesting times ahead."

Earlier coverage: A move against Kevin Rudd next week is almost certain with Prime Minister Julia Gillard determined to resolve the leadership crisis when parliament resumes.

With the backing of her senior cabinet ministers, Ms Gillard is poised either to sack Mr Rudd from the ministry or hold a leadership ballot to expose his lack of support.

Senior sources stressed that no decision had been made but, said one: "There's movement at the station."

One backer of a ballot said there was a growing feeling that Ms Gillard would take on Mr Rudd in a leadership spill next week and "not only win, but win bloody decisively".

The Sydney Morning Herald revealed today that Ms Gillard was reserving the option of calling a leadership ballot next week but that she will bring it on only from a position of strength to resolve the crisis consuming her government.

A senior source reported that "it is still very much an option to bring it on ... No decision has been made. It's a discussion that needs to be had."

Industry and Climate Change Minister Greg Combet fuelled speculation that the leadership battle needed to come to a head.

Mr Combet told the National Press Club in Canberra that he was "frustrated" that the speculation over a leadership bid by Mr Rudd was continuing.

"Enough is enough. It is time this matter is resolved," he said.

"It is a distraction to the work of government."

He said he was a "strong supporter" of Ms Gillard.

"This issue needs to be resolved and it needs to be resolved in the near future," Mr Combet said.

The way in which it was resolved was "a judgment for the Prime Minister to make".

Another senior Gillard backer said Ms Gillard and Mr Rudd could no longer work together "in any capacity".

"The facts are that Kevin can't stay in cabinet and Julia needs to take him on in front of the caucus," the source said. "If he doesn't throw his hat in, then he will be dumped anyway."

The Gillard camp is confident that it retains the numbers to win convincingly over Mr Rudd in a ballot, with the Foreign Minister thought to have about 30 votes in the 103-strong caucus.

Mr Rudd - who is to deliver a speech in Washington, DC, on Wednesday - said that he was not challenging for the leadership and expected to remain Foreign Minister.

"Can I just say, as I've said many times before, that we have a Prime Minister; I support the Prime Minister; and I intend to remain as Foreign Minister," Mr Rudd said in response to questions about a leadership spill.

- with AAP, Daniel Flitton and Danielle Cronin
This could get hairy fast. As I see it there are three possibilities.

1. Rudd has done this because he is aware the speculation is killing the party and is attempting to defuse it, and he will retire to the backbench and not make a run for PM. (Unlikely)

2. Rudd challenges Gillard, and she beats him. If by a small margin, the leadership crisis in the Labor party will worsen and probably end the government, if by a large margin, Rudd will be pushed to the backbench and told to shut up. Best would be to have him retire from the party, but they can't because they lose government without him. If only there was an independent they could have kept onside to give them some breathing room. Oh, wait.

3. Rudd challenges and wins. The Labor caucus proves itself terminally stupid and Rudd stays in government till the next election, avoiding every difficult policy and being mauled by Abbott without landing a single retort, then loses comprehensively.

I wish I could say that Labor couldn't have seen this coming, couldn't have taken steps to avoid it or that this wasn't their fault, but I can't. The only reason they survived the last election is that no one in Labor was Tony Abbott. That won't save them again.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Re: Kevin Rudd steps down as FM, will possibly make run for

Post by Alkaloid »

And apparently the party no longer feel the need to play nice with Rudd either. Statement from the Treasurer
The Treasurer, Wayne Swan, has torn Kevin Rudd in half.

In a statement released at 8.30pm, Mr Swan says Mr Rudd lacks Labor values, has been undermining the government, treats people like dirt and was behind the leaks that destroyed the party’s 2010 campaign.

‘‘For the sake of the labour movement, the Government and the Australians which it represents, we have refrained from criticism to date,’’ he said.
Advertisement: Story continues below

‘‘However for too long, Kevin Rudd has been putting his own self-interest ahead of the interests of the broader labour movement and the country as a whole, and that needs to stop.

‘‘The Party has given Kevin Rudd all the opportunities in the world and he wasted them with his dysfunctional decision making and his deeply demeaning attitude towards other people including our caucus colleagues. He sought to tear down the 2010 campaign, deliberately risking an Abbott Prime Ministership, and now he undermines the Government at every turn.’’

Mr Swan says Mr Rudd was the party’s biggest beneficiary and it now its greatest critic ‘‘but never a loyal or selfless example of its values and objectives’’.

‘‘For the interests of the labour movement and of working people, there is too much at stake in our economy and in the political debate for the interests of the labour movement and working people to be damaged by somebody who does not hold any Labor values,’’’ he said.

Mr Swan said colleagues ‘‘are sick of Kevin Rudd driving the vote down by sabotaging policy announcements and undermining our substantial economic successes’’.

‘‘The Labor Party is not about a person, it’s about a purpose. That’s something Prime Minister Gillard has always known in her heart but something Kevin Rudd has never understood.’’

"She is tough, determined, forward-looking, and has a good Labor heart. She has a consultative, respectful relationship with caucus while Kevin Rudd demeaned them.

"She’s cleaned up a lot of the mess he left her and has established a good, Labor agenda.

"She’s delivering major reforms, and getting things done that her predecessor could not.

"Colleagues are sick of Kevin Rudd driving the vote down by sabotaging policy announcements and undermining our substantial economic successes.

"The Labor Party is not about a person, it’s about a purpose. That’s something Prime Minister Gillard has always known in her heart but something Kevin Rudd has never understood."
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Gillard has called a spill:
Prime Minister Julia Gillard will today announce that she is calling a ballot to resolve the Labor leadership stoush with her predecessor Kevin Rudd.

Ms Gillard will hold a morning press conference in Adelaide to call a caucus ballot for Monday, when Parliament resumes.

Overnight she criticised Mr Rudd over his sudden resignation as Foreign Minister, saying she was "disappointed" he did not speak to her before his announcement.

"I am disappointed that the concerns Mr Rudd has publicly expressed this evening were never personally raised with me, nor did he contact me to discuss his resignation prior to his decision," she said in a statement.

This morning Attorney-General Nicola Roxon told ABC News Breakfast that a leadership spill was inevitable, and predicted an easy win for Ms Gillard.
Could this finally be the end for the Labor leadership shenanigans? Very tempted to swan down to Parliament this morning and watch it all go down.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

If you do, I demand a (s)mugshot of Tony Abbot today.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

If only politics was about running the country instead of aggrandisement? If only Labor wasn't comically retarded?

These and more 'if onlys' will feature in the near future under prime minister Abbott. :V
Dendrobius
Mecha Fanboy

Post by Dendrobius »

It's sort of sad that our national politics has degenerated into a not much more than the plot from a soapie, but I have to say, this is way more entertaining than anything I've seen on TV lately.

Pass the popcorn, sit back, and get on with the blood sports already!

(On a serious note though - how on earth does anybody in the ALP think this is a good idea at all? I thnk Gillard took too long to pull the trigger, and now one way or another, her and Federal Labor are screwed. Whoever wins, we lose.)
I know there is a method, but all I see is the madness.
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Why the fuck is Barry Cassidy not front and centre on the ABC right now? I like old mate from the 7.30 report but he's no Barry.

Rudd's stump speech was pretty funny though. He's going be the saviour of the nation by fixing the problems that affect the backbenchers in marginal seats he needs to get him over the line are weighing us down!
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

On a serious note though - how on earth does anybody in the ALP think this is a good idea at all? I thnk Gillard took too long to pull the trigger, and now one way or another, her and Federal Labor are screwed. Whoever wins, we lose.
No one actually thinks it's a good idea, it's just that it has to happen. Gillard and Rudd were both waiting the other out because Rudd has been making comments about how he would never depose a leader it's just bad form so he needed Gillard to move on him, and Gillard had to avoid looking like she was pushing Rudd out of the way out of spite so had to have Rudd move against her. Rudd just blinked first, which frankly doesn't surprise me.

Frankly it looks like Gillards camp have been ready for this for a long time, and they have come out swinging. Gillard seems to have most of the front bench, while Rudd has Cheeseman.
http://nowhiring.com.au/424936+job+Prim ... a+ACT.aspx You'll want to click on "Apply Now"
That was good.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Stark wrote:If only politics was about running the country instead of aggrandisement? If only Labor wasn't comically retarded?
Hilarously, Nicola Roxon pretty much said this in a radio interview about an hour after your post.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

If this leads to the Mad Monk winning the next election I am going to get pissed. In any event I might vote Green in the lower house and a minor party (maybe Greens or someone else) in the upper house as a protest vote. I think I went with the Australian sex party last time.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

It's astonishing. Less than two elections out from ditching Howard and the most likely result from the next election is... someone worse than Howard. How the fuck has that happened?
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Well basically Labor is fractious and dysfunctional and people are sick of it.

Also people voted for Krudd and hate the way he was axed. A lot of people are angry about it.
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

If only people understood how they didn't vote for krudd at all lol
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

JointStrikeFighter wrote:If only people understood how they didn't vote for krudd at all lol
That's not a good counter-argument. Sure, they weren't technically voting for Rudd, just like someone who voted for Obama wasn't technically voting for his campaign promises. That doesn't mean they can't be angry when they get the letter and not the spirit of what was offered.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

JointStrikeFighter wrote:If only people understood how they didn't vote for krudd at all lol
I voted directly for Kevin; he had my seat in Morningside.

Sadly, I only care he was removed insofar as it showed the Labor party is both structurally broken and politically retarded.

And really, people thinking in terms of Rudd's personal brand is EXACTLY what motivates this kind of internal party bullshit. Gotta have Ruddy in charge ... somehow. Howard responsible for Chinese resource boom ... somehow. The smiley face on the party is a focus for brand loyalty, so its not surprising people want to be that face (regardless of how much it hurts them or their party).

Hadn't Rudd already backed down on the mining tax after a series of laughable political failures when he was ousted?
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Well he's officially challenged now, and claims he will give up all leadership ambitions if defeated. We'll see. Monday, I think, will be the day we say Labor tanked or the day it started clawing it's way back to a second term as a minority government. Likely the day they tanked.
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

'The day they tanked' suggests they had a chance to win before now. They were already dead in the water; the only way is up, frankly.

Stark: no, he hadn't.

- Ron Wilson
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Well that's a shame. Since I worked with a lot of mining clients, all the scaremongering they paid to show on TV was complete bullshit and having them basically make public policy as our corporate overlords means Labor gets no sympathy from me.

Just a shame this means Abbott will win and the country will sink even further into the grip of actual retards.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Haha saw that yesterday Tim. It's so tragically true.

In other news votes are getting counted now - pretty clear Rudd doesn't have anywhere near the numbers so the interest has shifted from the contest to the margin. 30 is the magical number - if Rudd gets less than this it's a KO, gets more and a second tilt could be on at some point.

- Ron Wilson