Marriage Equality in New Jersey?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Marriage Equality in New Jersey?

Post by Dalton »

Not if Chris Christie has his say. He pledged to veto any marriage equality legislation that made it to his desk. Looks like that may happen pretty soon after the State Assembly passes the bill.
TRENTON, N.J. — New Jersey lawmakers gave their blessing to legalizing gay marriage for the first time Monday as the state Senate passed a bill that would allow nuptials for same-sex couples, despite Gov. Chris Christie's insistence that he will veto such legislation.

The Senate's 24-16 vote sends the bill to the Assembly, which is expected to pass it on Thursday.

Monday's vote contrasts with the only other gay-marriage vote taken in the Legislature. In January 2010, gay marriage supporters thought they had built a narrow majority in the Senate, but senators began to defect, and the measure was defeated 20-14. Since then, Senate President Stephen Sweeney, a Democrat from West Deptford, has changed his position. He says he regrets abstaining two years ago and has made gay marriage recognition a top priority.

"It means the world isn't changing, it means the world has already changed," said Steven Goldstein, chariman of Garden State Equality, the state's largest gay rights organization. "So wake up and smell the equality."

Two Democrats and two Republicans went against their party lines in the vote. Sen. Jennifer Beck, a Republican from Red Bank, voted for allowing gay marriage. "It is my opinion that our republic was established to guarantee liberty to all people," she said. "It is our role to protect all of the people who live in our state."

Six states and Washington, D.C., allow gay marriage, and Washington state will be added to that list when Gov. Christine Gregoire signs legislation legalizing same-sex marriage Monday.

Christie, a Republican, announced his veto intentions last month. He has said he does not believe marriage laws should be changed but does support New Jersey's civil union law, which grants gay couples the legal protections of marriage.

His veto vow loomed over Monday's proceedings as gay-rights activists tried to explain why the vote wasn't moot.

Len Deo, president of New Jersey Family Policy Council, which opposes gay marriage, called the vote "an exercise in futility." "It's something we have to go through," he said.

Christie said he wants to put a change in the definition of marriage to a public vote.

But gay rights groups oppose a referendum. They see gay marriage as a civil rights matter and argue that it should not be up to the masses to protect the rights of a minority group. They also believe that a nasty campaign from social conservatives could erode the narrow majority of support that public polls show gay marriage has in New Jersey.

Gay rights groups are looking at two other avenues to make gay marriage reality in New Jersey. If Christie vetoes the measure, the Legislature would have until January 2014 to override it by getting two-thirds of the votes in each chamber. Advocates hope that with nearly two years, they can change enough votes to get the legislation passed.

State Sen. Raymond Lesniak, a Democrat from Union, said that if all lawmakers voted their conscience and didn't gave to political pressure, there would be enough Senate votes now to override a veto.

The other route is through the courts. Five years ago, New Jersey's state Supreme Court ruled that gay couples should have the same rights as married heterosexual couples. In response, the Legislature created civil unions.

Gay rights advocates say that because the designation is hard to understand and still treats committed gays differently from married couples, the courts should eliminate civil unions and recognize gay marriage. A lawsuit seeking to do that is in the state court system.
It's great to know that civil rights equality in New Jersey can be denied by a Sopranos reject.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Re: Marriage Equality in New Jersey?

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

My understanding is that the NJ legislature has quite some time to try to shore up three more votes in the senate for a veto override. So the bill won't exactly be dead right after the veto. It seems the hard work will be finding those three votes after the governor vetoes the bill.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

The compromise should have been accepted. The more states voting on gay marriage at the same time the more diluted NOM's efforts will be and the greater chance that they'll all collectively pass, I think.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I'm guessing that Tons O' Fun has presidential aspirations and doesn't want him signing this bill into law to come back and bite him in his enormous ass in 4 or 8 years.

So the Senate needs 3 more Senators to flip for a veto override. Anyone know how the Assembly vote is projected to go? I wonder if they're close to a veto override, as well.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

He's been waffling on the whole veepstakes thing. If he signs it into law, he can kiss that goodbye.
To Absent Friends

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Assembly passes the bill, as expected.
TRENTON— Even as Gov. Chris Christie’s threat of a "swift" veto looms, gay rights activists basked today after the state Assembly took final action on a bill to legalize same-sex marriage in New Jersey.

With supporters imploring lawmakers to make history, the lower house passed the bill after hours of debate on a day that began with protests and prayer vigils under gloomy skies outside the Statehouse.

"Without question, this is a historic day in the state of New Jersey," said Assembly Speaker Sheila Oliver (D-Essex), who, along with Senate President Steve Sweeney (D-Gloucester), made the measure a top priority.

The Senate, which failed to pass a gay marriage bill two years ago, easily approved it Monday. The governor’s office last night would not say when Christie would respond.
Today’s 42-33 tally did not include a single Republican vote, and two Democrats from Cape May County — Nelson Albano and Matthew Milam — voted no.

Gay rights activists were joyous after the vote, vowing they’d fight to overturn Christie’s expected veto — and saying it bolsters a gay marriage court challenge in its early stages.

"We can always say for the rest of our lives we passed a marriage equality bill in New Jersey," said Steven Goldstein, chairman of the gay rights advocacy group Garden State Equality. "This shows legislative intent to the court. After today, no one can doubt that the Legislature of the state of New Jersey wants marriage equality."

It will be tough, however, to overturn Christie’s expected veto. Assemblyman Reed Gusciora (D-Mercer), a sponsor of the bill (A-1) and one of two openly gay lawmakers, said supporters have until the legislative session ends in January 2014 to garner the nearly dozen more votes needed to override. He said it had won nearly ten Assembly votes in recent weeks.

In today’s debate, several lawmakers, including Oliver, said they initially opposed gay marriage or struggled with the decision because of their religious beliefs.
Video: Gov. Christie says legislature doesn't trust people of New Jersey to be fair Video: Gov. Christie says legislature doesn't trust people of New Jersey to be fair While campaigning for state Senator Joe Kyrillos, Governor Chris Christie said the state legislature's voting on the marriage equality bill is an exercise in theater and that the legislature's unwillingness to put the issue on the ballot shows a lack of trust in the people of New Jersey. (Video by Adya Beasley / The Star-Ledger) Watch video

Assemblyman Charles Mainor (D-Hudson) said he had believed voting yes would emotionally harm children and force them into therapy. "I felt this way because I was ignorant,’’ he said. "And I was ignorant because I didn’t educate myself."

Assemblyman Troy Singleton (D-Burlington), a sponsor, said that as a former altar boy at an urban Catholic parish, "this road wasn’t very easy to get to."

Assemblywoman Cleopatra Tucker (D-Essex), a deaconness in her church, said she also struggled over her decision.

"In my final hours, I came to the conclusion that the people sent me from my district here to vote for what was right and to protect all the people ... regardless of their gender, race, religion or sexual preference," she said. "This bill today is not a religious issue. It’s a civil rights issue."

Republicans opposing the bill said the vote on gay marriage belongs to New Jersey residents — as Christie has urged — rather than 120 lawmakers and the governor.

"Who should be the ultimate judge on deciding this issue? Should it be the 121 of us in Trenton? Or should we let the people of New Jersey decide?’’ said Assemblywoman Nancy Munoz (R-Union) "I trust the people of New Jersey and believe that they should be allowed to voice their opinion for a vote."
Supporters and opponents flood Assembly chamber for gay marriage bill vote Supporters and opponents flood Assembly chamber for gay marriage bill vote The New Jersey Assembly is expected to pass the marriage equality bill. The Senate had passed the bill for the first time ever in a bipartisan 24-16 vote earlier this week. Governor Chris Christie vowed to veto the bill if it reaches his desk. The Governor wants the Democratic-controlled legislature to send marriage equality for voters' consideration in a referendum this fall. (Video by Andre Malok / The Star-Ledger) Watch video

Assemblywoman Alison Littell McHose (R-Sussex) questioned Democrats’ priorities in making this bill their first of the new session when New Jerseyans are complaining about high unemployment, property taxes and big government.

"Send a message about your priorities and reject this legislation and let’s get back to the real issues facing struggling families,’’ she said. "Vote no today and let’s move forward."

"Amen!" shouted a bill opponent who was asked to leave after both sides were warned to remain quiet.

Five of the 80 lawmakers didn’t cast votes on the controversial measure. Declan O’Scanlon and Mary Pat Angelini (both R-Monmouth), who were expected to vote yes, were absent. Assemblywoman-elect Gabriela Mosquera, a Camden County Democrat expected to support it, was not seated because of a legal challenge to her candidacy. Assemblyman Wayne DeAngelo (D-Mercer) who was undecided, was on vacation. Freshman Assemblywoman Holly Schepisi (R-Bergen) did not vote.

Before the vote, more than 50 gay marriage opponents — most dressed in red — marched outside the Statehouse, holding signs that said "Let the people decide." Several pastors led them in prayer. Supporters of the bill, many dressed in blue T-shirts bearing the word "Equality," packed the Assembly gallery and later held a victory rally at a hotel near the Statehouse.

Gay marriage is legal in six states and the District of Columbia. A new Washington state law will take effect in June.
42-33 is apparently 12 votes short of a veto override, but a lot can happen in 2 years. I find myself wondering, though, if it comes down a public vote, as the Republicans want, doesn't that stand a good chance of blowing up in their faces? Maybe it's just because I'm a dazzling urbanite, but I honestly feel like the hillbilly parts of this state are just not populous enough to vote something like this down.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Chris Christie to NJ Gays: Fuck Freedom and Fuck You

(somewhat paraphrased)

Surprised? No. What surprises me is Dick Cheney lobbying in FAVOR of marriage equality.
To Absent Friends

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

But that drug addled cunt Houston gets flags at half staff. Priorities!
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Dalton wrote:Chris Christie to NJ Gays: Fuck Freedom and Fuck You

(somewhat paraphrased)

Surprised? No. What surprises me is Dick Cheney lobbying in FAVOR of marriage equality.
Well last I checked, his daughter IS a lesbian. He may be more machine now than man (not to mention fully rechargeable), but if Star Wars taught us anything, it is that even a cyborg can love their children. :mrgreen:
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Dalton wrote:

Why? His daughter's a lesbian, and he's a corporatocratic militaristic borderline-sociopath, not a Christ crazy. I imagine the phrase "useful idiots" describes how he and people like him feel about the religious right.
Truth fears no trial.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Because it's out of left-field based on my expectations.
To Absent Friends

Vejut
Padawan Learner

Post by Vejut »

On the plus side:

Maryland passed theirs. O'Malley campaigned in favor of it, so it's pretty likely to go through as soon as the senate clears it, which they have before.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Dalton wrote:Because it's out of left-field based on my expectations.
Cheney's a textbook neoconservative, and the neocon movement collectively doesn't give a damn one way or the other on social issues. His only dog in this fight is his daughter, which probably dictates his response, since he doesn't have an ideological reason to oppose gay marriage.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Vejut wrote:On the plus side:

Maryland passed theirs. O'Malley campaigned in favor of it, so it's pretty likely to go through as soon as the senate clears it, which they have before.
I'm surprised it was so close.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Maryland is a consistently blue state, but not an especially liberal one. Five years from now, the vote would probably have been less close... but then, gay marriage tends to pass in any state as soon as it becomes politically possible to do so, because there's a lot of muscle pushing the issue and it never goes away.

So I expect all successful passages of gay marriage bills and amendments to be pretty close, because the gay rights movement will always strive to get it passed as soon as it stands a chance of success.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I wonder how many states will pass Marriage equality before someone makes a serious challenge against the DOMA. If a majority of the states allow gay marriage, there's really no reason not to recognize marriages from other states (Not that there was a good reason in the first place.)
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Simon_Jester wrote:Maryland is a consistently blue state, but not an especially liberal one. Five years from now, the vote would probably have been less close... but then, gay marriage tends to pass in any state as soon as it becomes politically possible to do so, because there's a lot of muscle pushing the issue and it never goes away.

So I expect all successful passages of gay marriage bills and amendments to be pretty close, because the gay rights movement will always strive to get it passed as soon as it stands a chance of success.
Maryland is a very liberal state with the exception of the lightly populated eastern shore and western counties. The majority of the population is on the I-95 corridor and is about as liberal as it gets on the east coast.
edit: Unless it's shifted significantly in the 4 years I've been away.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Darksider wrote:I wonder how many states will pass Marriage equality before someone makes a serious challenge against the DOMA. If a majority of the states allow gay marriage, there's really no reason not to recognize marriages from other states (Not that there was a good reason in the first place.)
It is already making its way through the courts.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

Block wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Maryland is a consistently blue state, but not an especially liberal one. Five years from now, the vote would probably have been less close... but then, gay marriage tends to pass in any state as soon as it becomes politically possible to do so, because there's a lot of muscle pushing the issue and it never goes away.

Maryland is a very liberal state with the exception of the lightly populated eastern shore and western counties. The majority of the population is on the I-95 corridor and is about as liberal as it gets on the east coast.

And Southern Maryland. I'm about as liberal as it comes down here... a lot of Southern Maryland is very reminiscent of the South in general.
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Darksider wrote:I wonder how many states will pass Marriage equality before someone makes a serious challenge against the DOMA. If a majority of the states allow gay marriage, there's really no reason not to recognize marriages from other states (Not that there was a good reason in the first place.)
The argument in reserve against DOMA is, and has always been, that it violates the "full faith and credit" clause. It really shouldn't have anything to do with the number of states that accept it- that challenge is just as valid now as it was in 1996. Though popular acceptance of gay marriage changes the odds of it succeeding, at least indirectly.
Block wrote:

I'm sorry, I was unclear.

I was thinking in terms of policy, what the state government actually does- and I was comparing Maryland to other blue states. While Maryland is quite far to the left compared to the nation, it isn't as far over as Washington state or Massachusetts.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Omega18
Jedi Knight

Post by Omega18 »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
It is already making its way through the courts.
This is inaccurate.

The current challenges making their way through the court challenging the Defense of Marriage Act are all deliberately narrowly targeted to to challenge only Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act. This is the section of the act which specifically prevents the US Federal Government from recognizing gay marriages which are considered legal and valid by individual states. These legal challenges also look to have a quite good chance of being successful when ruled upon by the Supreme Court. (Even if Justice Kennedy is unwilling to go further right now in term of gay rights rulings, he is likely go far as far as to at least overturn this section. If Maryland or other states also legalize gay marriage, this likely further increases the odds of the court overturning this section of the law since it increases the number of states and people that are rather arbitrarily discriminated against by the federal government regarding this issue.)

For the moment, no general challenges are pending to the Defense of Marriage Act, this appears to be a deliberate strategy of gay rights advocates in case the Supreme Court ends up ruling on the California case in a way that brings into question the constitutionality of gay marriage bans nationwide and rules such bans are constitutional. Under the circumstances, overturning the DOMA on the "full faith and credit" clause would be a way for the court in the future to defacto pretty much legalize gay marriage in the US without outright overturning a previous court precedent. In general, I would expect a general challenge to gay marriage bans to be brought to the US Supreme Court first, and a challenge to DOMA in general to held in reserve to be brought to the court system in the future since its the messier of the two solutions. (I.E. gay couples would still have to travel to a state which allows gay marriage.)

Edit: In practice the number of states recognizing gay marriage probably would have an impact even regarding a "full faith and credit" argument, because it impacts how many states are not having all their marriages recognized by other states. Especially in the case of Kennedy, it also may impact how comfortable he feels in "rocking the boat" by impacting how many states the Supreme Court is actually requiring to recognize gay marriages (who previously had not done so) due to the court ruling.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Not a huge surprise but Maryland sends Marriage Equality to the Govenor
Annapolis, Md. --

Gay marriage is all but legal in Maryland after the Legislature gave its final OK Thursday to the law that's being sent to Gov. Martin O'Malley, who said he expects to sign it this week.

The state Senate voted 25-22 for the law. The vote comes less than a week after the House of Delegates barely passed the measure.

Maryland will become the eighth state to allow gay marriage when O'Malley - who sponsored the bill - signs the legislation. The Democrat made the measure a priority this session after it stalled last year.

"This issue has taken a lot of energy, as well it should, and I'm very proud of the House of Delegates and also the Senate for resolving this issue on the side of human dignity, and I look forward to signing the bill," O'Malley said in a brief interview after the Senate vote.

Opponents, though, have vowed to bring the measure to referendum in November. They will need to gather at least 55,726 valid signatures of Maryland voters to put it on the ballot and can begin collecting names now that the bill has passed both chambers.

Some churches and clergy members have spoken out against the bill, saying it threatens religious freedoms and violates their tradition of defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

"The enormous public outcry that this legislation has generated - voiced by Marylanders that span political, racial, social and religious backgrounds - demonstrates a clear need to take this issue to a vote of the people," Maryland Catholic Conference spokeswoman Kathy Dempsey said in a statement. "Every time this issue has been brought to a statewide vote, the people have upheld traditional marriage."

Leaders at the Human Rights Campaign, a group that joined a coalition of organizations to campaign for the bill, said they expect opponents will gather the required number of signatures.

"There remains a lot of work to do between now and November to make marriage equality a reality in Maryland," Joe Solmonese, the group's president, said in a statement Thursday. "Along with coalition partners, we look forward to educating and engaging voters about what this bill does: It strengthens all Maryland families and protects religious liberty."

Senators rejected some amendments to the legislation Thursday. Proponents warned that amending the bill could kill it because gathering enough support for altered legislation in the House would be difficult.

Last year, senators passed a similar measure by 25-21, but the bill died in the House after delegates rescinded their initial support citing concerns that it could violate religious liberties of churches and business owners who do not support same-sex unions.

Sen. Allan Kittleman, the only Senate Republican to vote in favor of the legislation, said he is proud of his decision and not concerned about political consequences down the road.

"You don't worry about politics when you're dealing with the civil rights issue of your generation," said Kittleman, a Republican who is the son of the late Sen. Robert Kittleman, who was known for civil rights advocacy.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z1nImYDwVu
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

You should have seen Governor Fatass on 'Morning Joe' yesterday morning arguing with (I believe) Jonathan Capeheart about Obama's stance on gay Marriage (Fatass was claiming that their stance is identical despite Obama not defending DOMA and never having the opportunity to veto legislation allowing for marriage equality). Guy is a fat lying piece of shit.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Yeah, it was Capehart. I'm still boggled by this insane devotion to anti-equality legislation.
To Absent Friends

Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Flagg wrote:You should have seen Governor Fatass on 'Morning Joe' yesterday morning arguing with (I believe) Jonathan Capeheart about Obama's stance on gay Marriage (Fatass was claiming that their stance is identical despite Obama not defending DOMA and never having the opportunity to veto legislation allowing for marriage equality). Guy is a fat lying piece of shit.
And Governor Sandwiches (with all due respects to sandwiches and Sandwiches everywhere) is somehow the most popular 'white horse' potential GOP POTUS candidate. :banghead:

Is this some kind of miserable cosmic prank?

Honestly, what's with his appeal? That he's somehow relatable to Joe Six Pack?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.