Iraq Stops U.S. Rice Buys; Farmers Angry

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Korvan
Jedi Master

Iraq Stops U.S. Rice Buys; Farmers Angry

Post by Korvan »

Story:
(DAYTON, Texas) — The talk of the day among Ray Stoesser and other rice farmers is Iraq's decision not to buy U.S. rice, a stinging move that adds to a stressful year punctuated by everything from drought to unusual heat.

Stoesser and other farmers know Iraqis struggled during the U.S. invasion and subsequent occupation. They know most countries — and people — buy based on price.

But at the moment, with production costs rising, export markets shrinking and rice prices dropping, it's difficult to be rational and suppress emotions so intimately intertwined with their land and livelihood.

"That's just not right," the 63-year-old Stoesser fumed. "If we've got some rice to sell, they ought to pay a premium for it just because this is the country that freed them."

Iraq imports most of its rice, about 1 million metric tons per year, making it a significant player in the global market. In the past decade, about 10 percent to 15 percent of that total came from the United States. But Iraq hasn't bought any U.S. rice since late 2010.

"You would think with all that we've done over there, there would be a way to get them to do business with us," said Ronald Gertson, who grows rice in Lissie, Texas.

Iraq has been buying instead from Asia and South America, and it recently lowered its quality standards so it would be able to buy rice from India, something that was impossible under the Iraqi Grain Board's old rules, said Andy Aaronson, chairman of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Rice Interagency Commodity Estimate Committee. It also recently bought rice from Uruguay, which grows a variety similar to the American one but sold for less.

"Iraq seems to be buying on price, and the lowest offered price is coming now from India," Aaronson said.

In Iraq, officials said the decision to forego American rice largely came down to a matter of taste. A Trade Ministry official said Iraq has decided to import only long-grain basmati rice from India due to its wide acceptance nationwide and cheap price.

"We have no problem with the U.S. rice specifically, which was widely acceptable by Iraqis, but we are seeing a demand for the Indian rice rather than others, which is also bought in good prices," he added.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to make a statement on government policies. He would not comment on U.S. farmers' anger or their argument that Iraq should buy U.S. rice because thousands of Americans died in the war there.

Iraq had accounted for about 2 percent to 5 percent of U.S. sales each year. It stopped buying American rice during the Gulf War in the early 1990s and in 2003, when the most recent war started, Aaronson said. Every other year, though, during the war, insurgency and U.S. occupation, the Iraqi Grain Board bought American rice.

Iraq's abandonment of U.S. rice comes as Haiti, once an exclusively American market, and Central America, another major buyer, also seek cheaper options elsewhere.

The lost sales sting because the U.S., unlike China and other major rice-growing nations, exports nearly half of its crop. With less demand from overseas, prices have dropped while production costs, including for fuel, have risen. The combination is squeezing farmers, Aaronson said. Rice acres in the United States decreased last year and will likely drop again as farmers switch to crops that will make them more money.

About half of the 3 million acres of rice typically planted in the U.S. each year are in Arkansas. The remainder comes from Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri and California.

When Iraq sought bids on rice a few months ago, word on the street was the U.S. would have a piece of the action, said Mike Wagner, who grew up on a rice farm in Sumner, Miss. When that didn't happen, Wagner and other rice farmers say they were shocked.

"We invested so much in that country, and we feel like it's something of a slap in the face," said Wagner, who's considering planting more soybeans or a new crop on his 4,000-acre Mississippi Delta farm.

John Alter, 64, also is considering alternatives. Usually, about one-third of his 1,500-acre farm in DeWitt, Ark., is devoted to rice. This year, it would be risky to dedicate too much land to the crop, he said. The loss of imports is disappointing, Alter said, noting the price difference between U.S. rice and Uruguayan grain was small.

"We spent billions and billions, if not trillions over there, and lots of people died," Alter said. "There should be some reciprocation ... Last time I checked, there wasn't any Uruguayan soldiers that lost their lives in Iraq."

Associated Press Writer Sinan Salaheddin contributed from Baghdad.
It's not so much the news itself I found interesting, but rather the quotes from the farmers. Given their conservative leanings, you'd think they'd be a little more for the free market.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Iraq Stops U.S. Rice Buys; Farmers Angry

Post by Thanas »

Indeed. They should celebrate that Iraq is now a free nation, to do what it so very much wants and should trust that the invisible hand of the market will fix everything by pushing them into bankruptcy. Oh wait, free market is actually a codeword for "I got mine and want even more, screw you, you undeserving commie".

More seriously, these people are most likely desperate and desperate people lash out at things.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

How obnoxiously arrogant.
"We spent billions and billions, if not trillions over there, and lots of people died," Alter said. "There should be some reciprocation ... Last time I checked, there wasn't any Uruguayan soldiers that lost their lives in Iraq."
Lots of Iraqis died. Because of us. They don't owe us anything but hatred.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

It is not the free market that is at fault here - Iraq should be free to buy rice from whoever it likes. The problem is with pro-protectionism idiots like Mr. Stoesser. It would be just as bad if he was arguing directly from right of conquest without the doublethink.
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

this is the country that freed them.
But who will free them from Halliburton?
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Calling an American farmer capitalist/free market is like calling a welfare queen John Galt.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

This is really a stunning example of honesty. 'You owe us' is a lot more honest than 'they hate us for our freedoms'. They invaded Iraq for money; everyone knew that. They're just finally owning up - and turning their back on the free market (and arguably globalisation) at the same time.

Farmers? Complaining? Not 'news' to me. :V
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I wonder- what percentage of rice farmers are angry about this, versus the percentage who shrug and say "them's the breaks?"

That'd be an interesting set of figures to see.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Well, if I were a rice farmer, I would be angry at everyone who doesn't eat rice exclusively. ;)

Korvan wrote:[...] "we feel like it's something of a slap in the face," [...]
This phrase has been abused so much, by now every time I read or hear it I go :roll: and dismiss out of hand whatever message the person using the phrase wanted to push. No, the person who is not bowing to your every whim is not physically assaulting you.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Korvan wrote:It's not so much the news itself I found interesting, but rather the quotes from the farmers. Given their conservative leanings, you'd think they'd be a little more for the free market.
I was about to say 'you haven't met a lot of farmers lol', but then I realised I actually know plenty of farmers who play the market and play it very, very well.

That said, hardly unusual for a farmer who is facing ruin to blame anyone and anything other than the nature of his profession.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

So, country ruined by 20 years of warfare, blockades, sanctions, bombings and stealing from neighbours wants to buy the cheapest rice? How dare they! :roll:

You know, I would be very interested in reading how many billions of $ Iraq pumped into US economy over the years as the result of the switched policies, maybe the occupation wasn't as inefficient financially as everyone thought?
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

"You would think with all that we've done over there, there would be a way to get them to do business with us," said Ronald Gertson, who grows rice in Lissie, Texas.
Yeah, all you have done. How many Iraqis died after your botched invasion? Fuck you arsehole and the high horse you rode in on.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

That's so delicious. But what would you expect from rural dickhead idiots who probably voted Bush twice and ardently supported a blatant war of agression which turned into a massacre? Nothing more, nothing less. "Peasants of the Vendee" strike again.

Nothing is worse than the smug attitude of rural assholes feeling the whole world is entitled to their Great Nation (TM) for dropping another ton of bombs on 'r heads.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Ultonius
Padawan Learner

Post by Ultonius »

mr friendly guy wrote:
Yeah, all you have done. How many Iraqis died after your botched invasion? Fuck you arsehole and the high horse you rode in on.
Is it really fair to blame one farmer in Texas for the Iraq War? I suspect that a lot of Americans, perhaps especially those in rural or conservative areas see the war as being similar to World War 2: overthrowing an aggressive dictator and liberating the people he oppressed, at the cost of American lives. Of course, looking closely at the lead-up to the war and the way it has been conducted shows that it is far less morally clear-cut than WW2, but people who like to see America as a straightforward hero, as most American conservatives do, look at the two conflicts and wonder why Iraqis are not as grateful as Europeans were after WW2. Additionally, as the article points out, it has been a difficult year for rice farmers. If farmers perceive that Iraq is causing their families hardship by not buying their rice, they will resent that, even if they acknowledge that Iraqis have suffered from the invasion.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Ultonius wrote:I suspect that a lot of Americans, perhaps especially those in rural or conservative areas see the war as being similar to World War 2: overthrowing an aggressive dictator and liberating the people he oppressed, at the cost of American lives. Of course, looking closely at the lead-up to the war and the way it has been conducted shows that it is far less morally clear-cut than WW2, but people who like to see America as a straightforward hero, as most American conservatives do, look at the two conflicts and wonder why Iraqis are not as grateful as Europeans were after WW2.
If that's really how people saw the Iraq War, they're fucking morons. How isolated from reality does one have to be to wonder why some Iraqis aren't particularly grateful for the war?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Ultonius wrote:Is it really fair to blame one farmer in Texas for the Iraq War?
It is fair to blame him for his screwed up ideas of moral debt. Even if the Iraq War was conducted in a manner that was to the Iraqis benefit (i.e. no torture, no killing of thousands of civilians, minimal destruction of infrastructure) it would still be unfair to expect compensation. Without at least an implicit agreement that you should be paid for your services, you have no claim to it.
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

Somebody should invade his farm, kill his children, turn a barn into a military camp and squat there for a decade. See how grateful he is then.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Guys? Iraq's decision not to buy rice is NOT a "free market" decision, quite the opposite. It's Iraqi government officials who decided which countries to import from. If Iraq were to decide not to buy US rice in a free market like manner, then the Iraqi government would have had to permit US imports, but no one on the street would have wanted to buy it.

That being said, the US rice farmers are full of shit, but if they're desperate, that's probably understandable.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Grumman wrote:
Ultonius wrote:Is it really fair to blame one farmer in Texas for the Iraq War?
It is fair to blame him for his screwed up ideas of moral debt. Even if the Iraq War was conducted in a manner that was to the Iraqis benefit (i.e. no torture, no killing of thousands of civilians, minimal destruction of infrastructure) it would still be unfair to expect compensation. Without at least an implicit agreement that you should be paid for your services, you have no claim to it.
Or without such a custom. It is too bad for the farmers that the old custom of "rape, steal and enslave" fell out of favour a few hundred years ago, eh?
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

I'm not surprised at the comments the US farmers made, considering all the stuff that has been quoted regarding China, chicken subsidies and Brazil.

I'm more surprised that the US media is honest enough to actually quote them.

Seriously, just look at the huge amount of hoohaa that has been raised over US farm exports over the last two decades. From GM food disputes with Europe in Africia and Asia, the linking of IMF loans to US crop sales for Indonesia during the 1998 finanicial crisis, US credits for farm sales as a form of military assistance to Iraq during the 1980s.......... The US has always linked its foreign policy to sales, including agricultural sales and distortion of the markets and its just surprisingly honest that its the AP or some other major news outlet reporting this as opposed to the BBC, Al Jazeera or a journalist writing some book about US foreign policy.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Ultonius
Padawan Learner

Post by Ultonius »

Gandalf wrote:If that's really how people saw the Iraq War, they're fucking morons. How isolated from reality does one have to be to wonder why some Iraqis aren't particularly grateful for the war?
I suppose that some of the people with this attitude dismiss and underestimate the human cost to Iraq compared to the net benefit of overthrowing Saddam, either because they haven't examined it closely or because it's easier to do that than admit that their country's actions are unsupportable. Others may believe that history will at least partially vindicate them, and that future Iraqis will see the war as necessary, just as most modern Germans would agree that the Nazi regime had to be defeated and replaced, even if they decry Allied actions such as the strategic bombing campaign and the bloody Soviet invasion, occupation and establishment of the repressive GDR regime.
Grumman wrote:It is fair to blame him for his screwed up ideas of moral debt. Even if the Iraq War was conducted in a manner that was to the Iraqis benefit (i.e. no torture, no killing of thousands of civilians, minimal destruction of infrastructure) it would still be unfair to expect compensation. Without at least an implicit agreement that you should be paid for your services, you have no claim to it.
Ronald Gerson wrote:You would think with all that we've done over there, there would be a way to get them to do business with us,
Can what he's asking for really be described as compensation? He wants them to buy American rice at a somewhat higher price than they would have to pay other countries, not give America money for saving them. Admittedly, I don't like that he says 'get them', which could be interpreted as supporting coercive measures to make a deal. Nevertheless, while I personally don't really agree with what he and the other farmers interviewed are saying, I still don't think it's helpful to demonize them as greedy hypocrites who want to profit from Iraqi suffering, and who deserve to share that suffering.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ultonius wrote:
Gandalf wrote:If that's really how people saw the Iraq War, they're fucking morons. How isolated from reality does one have to be to wonder why some Iraqis aren't particularly grateful for the war?
I suppose that some of the people with this attitude dismiss and underestimate the human cost to Iraq compared to the net benefit of overthrowing Saddam, either because they haven't examined it closely or because it's easier to do that than admit that their country's actions are unsupportable. Others may believe that history will at least partially vindicate them, and that future Iraqis will see the war as necessary, just as most modern Germans would agree that the Nazi regime had to be defeated and replaced, even if they decry Allied actions such as the strategic bombing campaign and the bloody Soviet invasion, occupation and establishment of the repressive GDR regime.
People who believe that Iraq and post 1945 Germany are in any way comparable are the very definition of "fucking morons".
------------
------------
My LPs
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Well the Bushites often compared the GWOT to World War II. You can't expect intellectual failures to actually understand the difference. Maybe he's right, we should not demonize them as evil, just admit they're fucking dumb and that's all.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Stas Bush wrote:Maybe he's right, we should not demonize them as evil, just admit they're fucking dumb and that's all.
This.

They are incredibly ignorant, to the point that it is deliberate. These aren't people that go onto Internet forums and news sites to find out what is going on in the world; likely they never read the newspaper or watch anything but the local news, and all of their attitudes towards world affairs are gathered from talking in the bar after work.

Not evil, really, or at least not aggressively so. Just really, really, really stupid.
Korvan
Jedi Master

Post by Korvan »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:
Stas Bush wrote:Maybe he's right, we should not demonize them as evil, just admit they're fucking dumb and that's all.
This.

They are incredibly ignorant, to the point that it is deliberate. These aren't people that go onto Internet forums and news sites to find out what is going on in the world; likely they never read the newspaper or watch anything but the local news, and all of their attitudes towards world affairs are gathered from talking in the bar after work.

Not evil, really, or at least not aggressively so. Just really, really, really stupid.
I have to agree with this. My folks (who are left leaning, even for Canadians) spend a fair bit of time in Arizona. While there they picked up the belief that every single illegal Mexican immigrant was involved with the drug trade. I was able to get through to them with a fair bit of effort that the vast majority of illegals were gardeners. farm laborers, construction workers, etc but it wasn't easy. Turns out that pretty much every local media source there is harping on the illegal immigrant = drug trade.