News Ltd grossly misrepresenting dissenting opinions?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

News Ltd grossly misrepresenting dissenting opinions?

Post by weemadando »

SAY IT AIN'T SO!

PDFs in the article, so can't highlight and quote. But wow, just fucking wow. I know that they reserve the right to "print in whole or part", but I didn't think that included "right to manufacture entire letter from scratch.
Greens website wrote:
Can you spot the difference between the letter sent to The Australian and the letter they printed?

2012-02-27 Letter sent to The Australian

2012-03-03 Letter printed in The Australian
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Re: News Ltd grossly misrepresenting dissenting opinions?

Post by Alkaloid »

This is just moronic. It's not even like this was some random guy no one will listen to, it's Bob Fucking Brown, arguably the fourth or fifth most powerful politician in the country, ie someone who will notice and can make other people take notice. The Aus has been bad for a while, but this is just stupid.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

This is the same mob who are shrieking about regulatory oversight and forced retractions.

Seriously, doesn't this break some sort of law? They attributed something Bob Brown didn't say to him.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Tell me if I missed anything:

- It removed the leading "Tycoon" from the first sentence and added the full title of the article he was referring to. This one I don't have a problem with, since calling Adani a tycoon twice in five words as a consequence of the edit to follow The Australian's referencing standard would be redundant.
- Changed "cattle and koalas" to "cattle and native animals".
- Removed the "want to" from the first sentence of the third paragraph.
- Removed the last sentence, quoting Mahatma Gandhi.

Yeah, I'll go with "moronic".
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Grumman wrote:Tell me if I missed anything:

- It removed the leading "Tycoon" from the first sentence and added the full title of the article he was referring to. This one I don't have a problem with, since calling Adani a tycoon twice in five words as a consequence of the edit to follow The Australian's referencing standard would be redundant.
- Changed "cattle and koalas" to "cattle and native animals".
- Removed the "want to" from the first sentence of the third paragraph.
- Removed the last sentence, quoting Mahatma Gandhi.

Yeah, I'll go with "moronic".
They also changed "Carbon Package" to "Carbon Tax", which may not be much a difference to an outsider, but within Australia the distinction carries some political weight.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

In the 2nd paragraph they also replaced "which" with "that"; that which just seems petty.