At least one dead in central Philippines earthquake

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

At least one dead in central Philippines earthquake

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Earthquake hits my goddamn island
A 6.7 magnitude earthquake shook the central Philippines, killing at least one and causing panic in nearby cities.

The quake hit 70 km north of the city of Dumaguete on Negros Island at 11:49 am (0349 GMT) at a depth of 20 km, the US Geological Survey said.

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology issued a tsunami alert for a metre high wave along the east coast and west of Cebu City.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said a regional tsunami was not expected.

However, it said on its website that earthquakes of this intensity can sometimes trigger destructive local tsunami.

The late morning quake in the Negros and Cebu region caused panic in nearby cities, with people rushing out of schools, malls and offices. Officials in some areas suspended work and cancelled classes.

A child was crushed to death by a collapsed wall in Tayasan town in Negros, Benito Ramos, chief of the Office of Civil Defence told reporters.

Buildings in the cities of Cebu and San Carlos shook violently and sustained damages such as broken windows and cracks on the walls, he added.

Two aftershocks measuring 4.8 and 5.6 magnitude on the USGS scale followed within half an hour of the earthquake.
Well, we're preparing for the worst.

Over at downtown, there was a panic cause some guys said the sea was rising, but some say that that was BS and the folks are panicking over nothing. There are no super ohfuck warnings on the TV or the radio yet. Sitting tight and readying our gear.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Re: At least one dead in central Philippines earthquake

Post by Questor »

Good luck Shroom!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Thanks. Lots of people are panicking even though the tsunami warning has rescinded or something, due to miscommunication.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Hang in there Mang. A piddly little earthquake isn't nearly crazy enough to get you.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Yeah. Someone cried wolf (or tsunami, more accurately) and half the city freaked the fuck out.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

To be fair, If I were living on an island, and someone cried Tsunami, I'd probably freak the fuck out too.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Good luck, man.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Man, that's bad news. Did you notice the quake when it was happening? I'm guessing you must've, if "buildings shook violently" as the article said... And how's the situation on the rest of the island(s)?
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

There's physical damage and broken shit in Negros Island, the one near the circle thing in the map. I'm in Cebu City, in that pink-highlighted bit there near the box with the sarcastic U-TURN TSUNAMI? thing pointed at by an arrow, so over here the material damage was not that much but apparently there was hysteria in the streets as people ran for their lives to the hills. I got a bit paranoid, but I was in my house in the suburbs, and when we heard that folks in the streets were panicking, I got worried about looting and stuff, but so far things haven't gone that crazy in my city.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Yahooid wrote:(UPDATE 3) At least seven people were killed in the 6.9-magnitude quake that struck parts of the Visayas, authorities said.

Bernadette Raidan, 8, and Anafe Estrabella, 11, were among the seven fatalities of the quake in Negros Oriental. Both were pinned down by a collapsed concrete, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said in its update.

NDRRMC said northern parts of the Negros Oriental registered severe damages in structures. A barangay hall also collapsed and cracks were also found in government and commercial buildings, roads and bridges in Guihulngan City.

There were some"surface cracks" as well in RSB Building, Abellana National School, and in St. Vincent Gen. Hospital in Cebu City, NDRRMC said.

President Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino already ordered the NDRRMC to "assess and collate the extent of damage and casualties, and to provide the necessary interventions."

Earlier, a tsunami alert has been issued but eventually lifted but vigilance should remain.

Phivolcs Director Renato Solidum said the tsunami alert level 2 had been canceled as of 2:30 pm.

"The alert was for the eastern side of Negros and western coast of Cebu. But we will continue to monitor," said Solidum in a phone interview with Yahoo! Southeast Asia.

Panic and worry gripped several PH areas while netizens called for calm and prayers as Phivolcs issued the bulletin warning to alert the public for unusual waves.

Phivolcs reported a strong local earthquake with a depth of 10 km occurred offshore Negros Oriental at 11:49 a.m.

“People are advised to stay away from the shoreline. People should not go to the coast to watch the tsunami. People whose houses are very near coastal areas of Negros and Cebu islands are strongly advised to be watchful,” Phivolcs earlier warned.

Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said Coast Guard Chief Edmund Tan has been instructed to prevent fishermen from going out to sea for the duration of the alert, while Department of Social Welfare and Development personnel are already on standby to lend support and relief to affected citizens.

“While there are no forced evacuations being ordered, we implore the people in affected areas to remain vigilant and take the necessary safety precautions. Let us cooperate with government agencies, allow them to do their work, and remain calm and watchful,” he said.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Death toll in strong quake rises to 40 wrote:DUMAGUETE CITY, Philippines – At least 40 persons, including a nine-year-old girl, died in Negros Oriental during the 6.9-magnitude earthquake that hit the province and other areas shortly before noon Monday, local authorities here said.

The quake hit 70 kilometers (44 miles) north of the city of Dumaguete on Negros Island at 11:49 am (0349 GMT) at a depth of 46 kilometers, the US Geological Survey said.

The Philippine Institute for Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) measured it as 6.9 at a relatively shallow depth of 10 kilometers, centered off the heavily populated central island province of Negros and Cebu.

Meanwhile, the US Geological Survey website placed the epicenter of the earthquake at 46.6 kilometers deep, some 72 kilometers north of Dumaguete City, 74 km west, northwest of Tagbilaran, Bohol and 80 km west, southwest of Cebu City.

The earthquake was the strongest to be ever felt in Negros Oriental, according to several residents here.

Of the latest death count, 29 died in the mountain barangay (village) of Planas during a landslide triggered by the earthquake, Mayor Ernesto Reyes of Guihulngan City said in a phone interview.

Reyes said 10 other persons were also reported to have died due to a landslide at the Guihulngan national road. Earlier, Reyes said that as many as 30 houses were also buried in the landslide.

According to the mayor, about 100 persons were injured and brought for treatment to the Guihulngan District Hospital and neighboring district hospitals.

He expressed fear that there might be more fatalities and injured in other villages. Reyes said their communication with the villages has been cut off.

Negros Oriental Governor Roel Degamo earlier said 9-year-old girl identified as Bernadette Raidan died when a wall collapsed in Tayasan town, Negros Oriental. The Office of Civil Defense administrator Benito Ramos earlier said that Raidan was the first confirmed casualty due to the quake. He added that classes in the girl’s school were reportedly suspended due to aftershocks.

Meanwhile, aside from Raidan, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), in its 5 pm situation report, have confirmed the death toll to still be at seven, including Raidan. The NDRRMC identified other casualties as Anafe Estrabella, a Grade 6 pupil, of Barangay Mompong in Jimalalud, Negros Oriental, who was pinned to death by a collapsed wall of a chapel and Betty Yap Manzano, 62, of Guihulngan, Negros Oriental. Meanwhile, four other casualties remain unidentified, the NDRRMC said

The quake also triggered another landslide in the mountain village of Solongon in La Libertad town, also in Negros Oriental. An unknown number of people were trapped, said La Libertad police chief inspector Eric Arrol Besario.

“We’re now getting shovels and chain saws to start a rescue because there were people trapped inside. Some of them were yelling for help earlier,” Besario told The Associated Press by phone. Three key bridges in the town suffered cracks and were no longer passable, he said.

A three-story office building also collapsed in La Libertad, but occupants managed to run out.

The quake was felt at Intensity 7 in Dumaguete City, Villahermoso, Negros Oriental; Intensity 6 in La Carlota City and La Castellana, Negros Occidental and Argao, Cebu.

Intensity 5 was felt in: Iloilo City; Roxas City; Dao and Ivisan in Capiz; Ayungon, Negros Oriental; Kanlaon City; Lapu-lapu City; Guimaras; Cebu City; Bacolod City; Sagay City; Tagbilaran City; and Candoni Banalbagan, Negros Occidental.

Intensity 4 was recorded in: Kalibo, Aklan; San Jose de Buenavista, Pandan, Anini-y and Patnungon all in Antique; Sipalay, Negros Occidental, Sta. Barbara, Iloilo; Ormoc City and Dipolog, Phivolcs said.

Intensity 3 was felt in Butuan City, Agusan del Norte; Legaspi City, Albay; Carmen, Cagayan de Oro; Tacloban City; Catbalogan, Samar, St. Bernard, Southern Leyte, Masbate, Masbate; and Cagayan de Oro City.

Intensity 2 was recorded in: Cabid-an, Sorsogon; Boronga, Eastern Samar; and Mambajao, Camuigin. Meanwhile, intensity 1 was felt in Pagadian City, Phivolcs said.

At Intensity 5, the shaking is strong enough to be felt by almost everyone and to awaken a sleeping person and make doors swing open. At Intensity 4, the shaking is strong enough to be felt by most people indoors and rattle dishes, windows and doors.

Ramos said the violent shaking of buildings in the cities of Cebu and San Carlos led to broken windows and cracks on the walls, but no high rises were believed to have sustained major damage.

Ramos said earlier they were still getting damage reports from other affected areas.

While no immediate damage was reported, Silliman University announced the suspension of all classes and offices for Monday afternoon.

Mark Raygan Garcia, director of the Office of Information and Publication, said class suspensions were a precautionary measure that would give university personnel time to inspect all buildings and facilities.

“This puts premium on the safety and welfare of our students and personnel,” Garcia said.

In Cebu, people and students left the buildings, shopping malls and schools. Classes were suspended in some schools in Cebu City.

Negros Oriental police chief Edward Carranza said the temblor damaged many houses in Guihulngan and he ordered his men to help displaced residents find shelter.

Officials in some areas suspended work and canceled classes. Power and telecommunications were knocked out in several places.

Carranza said police rushed out of his building when the quake struck. “All my personnel ran out fearing our building would collapse,” he said.

“Now it’s shaking again,” he said as an aftershock hit. “My keychain is dancing.”

Philippine seismologists and local residents said there was panic but no immediate reports of casualties or major damage.

Philippine seismologists briefly issued a tsunami alert for the central islands. Five bamboo and wooden cottages were washed out from a beach resort in La Libertad by huge waves, but there were no reports of injuries, said police Superintendent Ernesto Tagle. Elsewhere along the coast, people rushed out of schools, malls and offices.

The Hawaii-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said there was no danger of a widespread destructive tsunami.

But Phivolcs raised its tsunami warning to the second of a three-stop alert level for coastal areas in Negros, meaning the public is asked to stay away from beaches and “be watchful” for any signs of rising tides.

However, level two does not warrant any evacuation.

Ramos said the chances of a tsunami or a tidal wave were very slim because the quake’s epicenter was located on a narrow strait between two islands.

The Philippines sits on the Pacific “Ring of Fire” — a belt around the Pacific Ocean where friction between shifting tectonic plates causes frequent earthquakes and volcanic activity. Dona Pazzibugan, Leila Salaverria, Philippine Daily Inquirer; Inquirer.net
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
ChaserGrey
Jedi Knight

Post by ChaserGrey »

Glad you're OK Shroom.
Lt. Brown, Mr. Grey, and Comrade Syeriy on Let's Play BARIS