Republican Attack Ads Dominating TV?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Republican Attack Ads Dominating TV?

Post by Jim Raynor »

Where I work, I can usually catch some of the big three cable news networks (CNN, MSNBC, FOX) throughout the day. One thing I've noticed over the last year or so is that GOP attack ads, whether they be against taxes or Obama, or just general fear mongering about the Chinese, seem to be on all the time. Now FOX is pretty much a given, but this stuff is commonly shown on MSNBC as well. One thing I can't recall seeing recently is an ad that takes such a hard stance in favor of the Left.

I've pretty much given up regular TV, so I don't know how common this is on other cable channels, or any of the big broadcast networks. Is anyone able to reassure me that the Democrats have had the brains or balls to match what the other side is doing? Because I'm wondering what good any of Obama's campaign donations are doing.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Re: Republican Attack Ads Dominating TV?

Post by RedImperator »

If Obama people entirely unaffiliated with Obama but nevertheless sympathetic to the cause of his reelection don't have a super-PAC sloshing with corporate cash, all of it earmarked for horseshit and innuendo about Mittens, I'll eat my shoes. Never fear, both campaigns are bought and paid for.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I would assume that the GOP ads are dominating TV because of their primaries. They need to convince their audience of their various anti-Obama sentiments.

I think Democratic ads will emerge later on, once the Republicans have picked their guy. There's not much point blowing your money and your PR nine months out from the election.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Yeah, it pays to wait, especially with the Republicans willing to do their work for them by digging up the best dirt before they even get started. This is one of the reasons the incumbent usually wins.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Atia
Youngling

Post by Atia »

The reason democrats and the Obama campaign are probably holding back from releasing any real attack ads and letting republicans have all the fun is because the he attacks a candidate specifically he makes it look as if that guys nomination is inevitable, and if eh attacks the republicans in general he gives them a common cause to stop clawing at each other to go after. So the Obama campaigns best option right now in my opinion is to not run attack ads but carry on business as usual and let the republicans continue eating there young. After Super Tuesday or the convention, whenever it looks like they have finally found their guy I’m sure there will be a ton of ads bombing media markets across the states from his campaign. Hell they could probably save money by not making their own original ads and just rerun some from the republican ads form the primaries.
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

The Democrats are right to wait. Some of the rich backers may blow their load trying to ensure Romney comes in ahead of Gingrich and Santorum; meanwhile they will let those two do the dirty work for them. Today's Obama v/s Romney tracker already has 6 points in favour of Obama. And I've read a few articles that suggest the more people see of Romney, the more they dislike him. So "never interrupt your enemy while he's making a mistake" stands.

The absurdist in me wonders if this is a brilliant ploy to stimulate America's economy. Wealthy people piling in seven or eight figures' worth of cash each, all of it being spent on ad execs, editors, fact checkers, historians... hosting events, hiring venues and vehicles and volunteers... Most of this money is being spent within the US and I'm sure it has a nice multiplier effect via food and transport sales. Heck, the number of flights each candidate's contingent makes might just be keeping the airlines in business :D

If so, long may the primaries continue. If some random dude in Colorado gets employed even on a temp basis for a month or two, he's going to put all his new money back into the system.

There should be a PhD on this...
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I