Good news about: Enormous Tumors

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Good news about: Enormous Tumors

Post by madd0ct0r »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16446239
Vietnam man Nguyen Duy Hai has 90kg tumour removed
Nguyen Duy Hai with his 90-kg tumour next to his mother at FV Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City on Wednesday, before a 12-hour operation to remove it, in a photo released by the hospital A previous operation failed to stop the dramatic growth of the tumour
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Huge tumour removed from patient

A Vietnamese man is in a stable condition in hospital after doctors removed a giant tumour which weighed far more than the rest of his body.

Nguyen Duy Hai's 90kg (198lb) tumour, which was growing on his right leg, was removed in a complex 12-hour operation.

The lead doctor, an American, waived his fee and other costs were funded through donations, the hospital said.

Family members burst into tears of happiness when they discovered he had survived, reported VietNamNet.

Mr Hai, who is believed to be 31, has been living with the tumour - which is non-cancerous and linked to a rare genetic disorder - since he was four years old, reported AFP news agency.

Part of his leg was amputated when he was 17 in an attempt to stem the growth of the tumour, reports said, but without success.

The tumour prevented Mr Hai walking and also hampered sleep.

This latest operation was carried out on Thursday at the France-Vietnam (FV) hospital in Ho Chi Minh City and led by US Dr McKay McKinnon, who previously successfully removed an 80kg tumour from a Romanian woman, AFP reported.

Family members and friends left their home in the mountainous central area of Da Lat to go to Ho Chi Minh city, where they prayed for Mr Hai and wept tears of joy once they learned he had survived, VietNamNet said.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Re: Good news about: Enormous Tumors

Post by KhorneFlakes »

I saw this a week ago. Don't know about other people on the board.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

*Looks at the linked article and the picture within* JESUS FUCK.

That was a big fuckin' tumor.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Why does it feel like all of these big tumor stories are coming from vietnam for some reason?
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Kryten
Youngling

Post by Kryten »

Shinova wrote:Why does it feel like all of these big tumor stories are coming from vietnam for some reason?
It does say that it's genetic; Vietnam could simply be where most of the carriers are.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Some of the weapons used in the Vietnam war come to mind (i.e Agent Orange)
Or it could just be something about the genetics of the population.
Or a combination there of.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Or random chance. Counter to human intuition, one should not expect an even distribution.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Solauren wrote:Some of the weapons used in the Vietnam war come to mind (i.e Agent Orange)
No, it's a genetic disorder unconnected to Agent Orange, etc. I've heard of a case with a tumor this large from Romania and from California in the past 10 years. Probably we're hearing about a bunch in Viet Nam because a successful removal of one that gets publicized results in other sufferers coming forward in that part of the world.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Well, presumably also someone from a better-off country would be able (or at least, more likely) to get the tumor removed before the tumors got absolutely massively huge.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

A little from all the columns I think.

Agent Orange and friends is now mostly cleaned up (the remaining hotspot is 300m from my house. yay!) but genetic damage done to the previous generation is still coming out in the current 20 year olds now.

Likewise, general pollution and excess agro-chemicals don't help, and healthcare here is expensive, so people tend to wiat and see if things get better.

Possibly a cluster of carriers (possibly slight inbreeding in the villages too) and the country starting to reach the stage of development where these people can be helped.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee