Laughable "response" videos to this website on YouTube

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

jwl
Jedi Master

Re: Laughable "response" videos to this website on YouTube

Post by jwl »

Metahive wrote:
jwl wrote: Is the 2D clone wars cartoon canon currently?
Why does it matter? If you take everything but the movies away you still have only Vader doing the blaster-block.
My reason for asking was just curiosity, but thinking about it I think there has been at least one instance of blaster-blocking without lightsabers in the 2D clone wars.
EDIT: here, at 3:20.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Wow, that's actually legit. Makes me even more wonder why it isn't used more often.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthPooky »

So, just out of idle curiosity, if they blew up Tantive IV (ignoring for the moment that never actually happened), how exactly does he explain Leia being a captive later in the movie?

Awesome point batman how did I not think of that. I mean in this guys debates he accuses peoples good arguments as lies as is the case for Darth Timon. he then goes and makes these completely dishonest videos. he's not just an idiot he's a hypocrite.
darth_timon
Padawan Learner

Post by darth_timon »

Idazmi7 appears to be pointedly not replying to me directly. Guess he's happen to dish it out but can't take it. Reminds me of quite a few anti-SDnet folks.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I guess it's easier to say 'They say Trek loses! They're biased!' than actually look at what goes on on the board, which would result in them finding out that-a lot of us are pretty serious Trek fans, even the ones that agree that Wars would beat Trek like nobody's business disagree about what 'nobody's business' actually means, happily agree that Trek has useful technologies Wars does not, and so on.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Could be due to the name of the site too...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The site name makes it pro-Wars, not anti-Trek.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Optimus Metallus
Redshirt

Post by Optimus Metallus »

Batman wrote:I guess it's easier to say 'They say Trek loses! They're biased!' than actually look at what goes on on the board, which would result in them finding out that-a lot of us are pretty serious Trek fans, even the ones that agree that Wars would beat Trek like nobody's business disagree about what 'nobody's business' actually means, happily agree that Trek has useful technologies Wars does not, and so on.
Yeah, my level of fandom is generally somewhere like so:

1) Star Trek
2) Warhammer 40,000
3) Babylon 5
4) Star Wars

And I'll readily admit that the Galactic Empire can beat them all bloody. I find it odd, though, that some fans apparently feel threatened when their favorite universe isn't also the most destructively powerful fictional universe depicted ever. What made them a fan, their enjoyment of the stories they were presented with, or their belief that the Federation was the biggest, baddest space empire ever created in sci-fi? I doubt it was the latter, and yet they feel the need to believe that's the case.

For instance, in my opinion Babylon 5 is better written and better conceived than any Star Trek show, but the Federation would thrash the Earth Alliance if they were thrown together into a fight. But so what? It doesn't detract from my enjoyment of Babylon 5 in the slightest. It doesn't diminish JMS's achievements in that series in any way, any more than the Galactic Empire's ability to trounce the Federation within days takes away my enjoyment of TNG's "Tapestry", DS9's "In the Pale Moonlight", or TOS's "The City on the Edge of Forever." I'm principally a Star Trek fan* because of episodes like those I just listed, not because I'm engaged in some kind of fan d*** measuring contest and I need to believe that Star Trek, 40k, Babylon 5, Star Wars, or whatever has the biggest swinging shaft of them all.

*BTW: I'm posting under a 40k ID, but I base internet usernames on my mood at the time that I registered that name more than anything else. I think I'm on a Star Trek site elsewhere with a D&D name and a Star Wars site with a Star Trek name, a Twitter account under the name of a Marvel Universe character, while I used to have a YouTube account under a Star Wars name.
Brother-Captain Optimus Metallus
Ultramarines 3rd Battle Company
darth_timon
Padawan Learner

Post by darth_timon »

Optimus Metallus wrote:
Batman wrote:I guess it's easier to say 'They say Trek loses! They're biased!' than actually look at what goes on on the board, which would result in them finding out that-a lot of us are pretty serious Trek fans, even the ones that agree that Wars would beat Trek like nobody's business disagree about what 'nobody's business' actually means, happily agree that Trek has useful technologies Wars does not, and so on.
Yeah, my level of fandom is generally somewhere like so:

1) Star Trek
2) Warhammer 40,000
3) Babylon 5
4) Star Wars

And I'll readily admit that the Galactic Empire can beat them all bloody. I find it odd, though, that some fans apparently feel threatened when their favorite universe isn't also the most destructively powerful fictional universe depicted ever. What made them a fan, their enjoyment of the stories they were presented with, or their belief that the Federation was the biggest, baddest space empire ever created in sci-fi? I doubt it was the latter, and yet they feel the need to believe that's the case.

For instance, in my opinion Babylon 5 is better written and better conceived than any Star Trek show, but the Federation would thrash the Earth Alliance if they were thrown together into a fight. But so what? It doesn't detract from my enjoyment of Babylon 5 in the slightest. It doesn't diminish JMS's achievements in that series in any way, any more than the Galactic Empire's ability to trounce the Federation within days takes away my enjoyment of TNG's "Tapestry", DS9's "In the Pale Moonlight", or TOS's "The City on the Edge of Forever." I'm principally a Star Trek fan* because of episodes like those I just listed, not because I'm engaged in some kind of fan d*** measuring contest and I need to believe that Star Trek, 40k, Babylon 5, Star Wars, or whatever has the biggest swinging shaft of them all.

*BTW: I'm posting under a 40k ID, but I base internet usernames on my mood at the time that I registered that name more than anything else. I think I'm on a Star Trek site elsewhere with a D&D name and a Star Wars site with a Star Trek name, a Twitter account under the name of a Marvel Universe character, while I used to have a YouTube account under a Star Wars name.
Unfortunately I think some fans (of anything, be it a sci-fi context or otherwise) need to shore up their appreciation of something by bashing a rival. On a Formula 1 board I visit I got into a few arguments with someone who is a passionate Ferrari fan, but he felt the need to take this passion and extend it to hating not just rival teams but the nationalities of other teams and drivers. I found it sad that he had to shore up his national identity by engaging in regular jingoistic chest-thumping exercises.

In respect of this thread and its content, I am reluctant to say too much. I have already been involved in a dispute earlier in the year and desire a repeat.
darth_timon
Padawan Learner

Post by darth_timon »

At the risk of thread necromancy, there is a lively (if not especially intelligent) surge in discussions of Idazmi7's YouTube vids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edqZK6Qitco

I talk a little about it on my site: http://meerkatmusings.co.uk/sci-fi-anal ... 7-sort-of/
Battlegrinder
Redshirt

Post by Battlegrinder »

I've just now issued a challenge for him to engage in a formal debate over the matter. I'm interested in seeing if he's gusty enough to stop hiding on his heavily control comments page and actually engage in a reasoned debate.
darth_timon
Padawan Learner

Post by darth_timon »

Battlegrinder wrote:I've just now issued a challenge for him to engage in a formal debate over the matter. I'm interested in seeing if he's gusty enough to stop hiding on his heavily control comments page and actually engage in a reasoned debate.
I'm not sure you'll make a dent in his Wall of Ignorance. I have it on authority that he's a homophobe and a creationist to boot - says a lot about his mentality for this sort of thing.
Battlegrinder
Redshirt

Post by Battlegrinder »

darth_timon wrote:
Battlegrinder wrote:I've just now issued a challenge for him to engage in a formal debate over the matter. I'm interested in seeing if he's gusty enough to stop hiding on his heavily control comments page and actually engage in a reasoned debate.
I'm not sure you'll make a dent in his Wall of Ignorance. I have it on authority that he's a homophobe and a creationist to boot - says a lot about his mentality for this sort of thing.

It's worth a shot. And besides, all my classes this semester are pathetically easy so its not like I have much ease to do with my free time.