The Die is Cast, ICS, and a retrospective on vs. debates.

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Die is Cast, ICS, and a retrospective on vs. debates

Post by Simon_Jester »

Does anyone actually "gain points" on this board anymore by trashing Star Wars or rehashing ten year old versus debates? It seems like a lame thing to do, really. Kind of like having some random 30-year-old wander into a bar grousing about 'Nam.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I wasn't aware we were ever awarded points for it to begin with, what with the debate essentially having died years before this board was ever created.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

One of the other parts of being thirty is not having any patience for people who wander into a thread and post outsized pictures while making comments which show they didn't read the OP.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

So, how old would I have to be to be allowed to comment on the fact that your picture was essentially just as outsized?
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Batman wrote:So, how old would I have to be to be allowed to comment on the fact that your picture was essentially just as outsized?
They wanted a picture thread, they got one.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I forgot the freaking smiley again didn't I.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Batman wrote:I forgot the freaking smiley again didn't I.
Yeah.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Batman wrote:I wasn't aware we were ever awarded points for it to begin with, what with the debate essentially having died years before this board was ever created.
Well, in 2002 it was at least a form of in-group validation.

Nowadays it's just bizarre; most of the people involved in the debate have totally moved on and no longer remotely give a shit. Only a few are even still in the versus 'business' at all.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:For the same reason I crossposted the Eclipse thread to SB.com from ASVS... To reach a wider audience. The wording was slightly tailored to a more pro-trek audience, boo-hoo, the content was exactly the same and so was the intent. This is like translating a document into French when posting it to a French language forum.

Are you some kind of bizarre sniveling little dipshit, jwl? Do you, like, actually know anything about the topic at hand, or the history behind it? Or are you doing this to just look cool and win points on the board?
I was just curious lol. It just seemed a bit odd to me, that's all. Personally, I would only put up the same thread on another board if the first board had no satisfactory replies, and both threads seem still active. Because once one thread receives a satisfactory answer the other just feels like a waste of time.

As I've said, I've conceded any arguments I may have had on this subject. I know hardly anything about trek and I guess I'll have to lurk more to untangle what the reply to my wars argument is trying to say. I'll leave this for more experienced people to debate.

Anyway, sorry if I appeared rude or whatever.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Simon_Jester wrote:Does anyone actually "gain points" on this board anymore by trashing Star Wars or rehashing ten year old versus debates? It seems like a lame thing to do, really. Kind of like having some random 30-year-old wander into a bar grousing about 'Nam.
Old habits die hard, especially if you've been doing them for years and nothing counter to that way of doing things is presented. This is actually why I've come to believe exposure to different viewpoints is a good thing, because otherwise its easy to become complacent or even arrogant.

In the case of the SW vs ST debate, there is literally a ton of mental/emotional inertia that can be built up amongst some people, and that makes change from the 'old ways of thinking' difficult. Especially since, when you think about it, the SW vs ST (or many long term, deeply invested debates.) is more about whose interpretation of the facts is 'right' than it is about the facts themselves. Which is why there is so much well-poisoning, polarization, and general adherence to dogma, and predictability in the discussion.

The irony is is that its perfectly possible to throw out some of the traditional 'interpretations' based on Website (eg SDN or STWC and BDZ) or ICS evidence (EG 200 gigatons = ship to ship victory) simply by modifying those interpretations, but its been going on so long I don't think many realize this or even want to realize it. I certainly spent years without thinking about it and it was ludicrously obvious once I did.