Examples of SW sensor superiority?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

GeneralPlankton
Redshirt

Examples of SW sensor superiority?

Post by GeneralPlankton »

Hey guys,

I'm having a discussion with some Trekkies on a message board, and one of them said thatST sensor tech is superior to that of SW. He even used some examples from one of the episodes about scanning over a light year away, and sector scanning with a ten LY radius. Now, I'm aware from the show that their sensors seem to have trouble scanning stuff in subspace (lots of quotes provided from the canon database on Mike's site), but I am wondering what are very good examples in the SW universe that trumps this? Anything specific from the novels? I'll assume that SW sensors are more advanced, being a galactic civilisation where the tech has been around for tens of thousands of years.
the atom
Padawan Learner

Re: Examples of SW sensor superiority?

Post by the atom »

If you're going into the situation looking for a desired result then you're doing it all wrong.
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."
Mask-999
Redshirt

Post by Mask-999 »

Well to be honest, most of the Star Wars books I read tend not to focus on sensors, but rather how big your gun is compared to the other guy's gun (not that it's a bad thing) but they do go into much less detail regarding sensors.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Depends on what type of sensors you're talking about and what makes them better? Range? Spectrum of stuff they can see? Power consumption? How detailed can they see stuff? What can block them?

10 / 20 light years is about the most they can do for an "instant" scan - but they won't be able to pick out individual atoms at that range, I don't think.

In orbit they can pick up a little bit of platinum on an entire planet (Angel One, TNG)

In a Voyager episode they've scanned DNA molecules and found a bar code encoded on an atom before and could zoom in and read it (can't remember what stupid episode that was).

Transporters can scan stuff on the quantum level.

Oh, no doubt, on page 89 of some book something means Star Wars is better in every way :p but Trek sensors are hardly "bad".
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I'd say Trek actually has a considerable edge in the short range 'let's look at what you're made of' department. Even tricorders, nevermind ship sensors can give you an incredibly detailed analysis on pretty much anything (except when the plot says they can't of course). Leia and Chewie were able to fool Imperial lifesign sensors by hiding next to a bakery in DFR.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Tricorders can even tell you what a species DNA looks like from a short scan (witness Insurrection when Crusher realises the Terrible Truth (TM) about the Son'a).
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Boeing 757
Padawan Learner
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.

Post by Boeing 757 »

Trek may have an advantage in the sensor ranges of their ships. In "Scorprion" Voyager scanned and found a planet suitable for life 40 lightyears away--without delay. To my knowledge I have never heard of a Wars ship being able to scan for a distance of more than several lighthours, as per the ROTS ICS. Though as far as greatest shown range is concerned, SW trumps in that field with the Ex-Gal-4 detecting an asteroid entering the SW Galaxy, over a distance of several thousand lightyears--in real time IIRC.
Omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium.

Kritisches Denken schützt vor Illusionen.

Παν μέτρον άριστον τῷ κρατίστῳ.
Sinon
Redshirt

Post by Sinon »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Tricorders can even tell you what a species DNA looks like from a short scan (witness Insurrection when Crusher realises the Terrible Truth (TM) about the Son'a).
Are you sure that is what is happening? The Tricorder could just be giving a probability based on Body Composition and Organ Placement.

As for the maximum range of a Star Treks Sensors 5% of 1 lightyear for a “instant scan”. (If I remember correctly it has been awhile since I did the math)
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

Boeing 757 wrote:Trek may have an advantage in the sensor ranges of their ships. In "Scorprion" Voyager scanned and found a planet suitable for life 40 lightyears away--without delay. To my knowledge I have never heard of a Wars ship being able to scan for a distance of more than several lighthours, as per the ROTS ICS. Though as far as greatest shown range is concerned, SW trumps in that field with the Ex-Gal-4 detecting an asteroid entering the SW Galaxy, over a distance of several thousand lightyears--in real time IIRC.
Wasn't the Ex-Gal-4 an extremely dedicated sensor array through? It wasn't moving, it was sitting calmly on a planet focused towards the edge of the galaxy. Not saying that's a bad thing, just that they might have trouble with broader scans than Trek, but that's just me.

I'm having trouble finding it but wasn't there an extremely long-range sensor array the Cardassians deployed? I'm curious about it given that it was used for intelligence gathering and whatnot. IIRC it had a vastly superior range even for the Federation.

Oh and of course, I almost forgot the Crystal Gravfield Trap which can detect the subtle changes in gravity caused by ships. Sure, the Federation can probably scan for gravitational (and temporal and quantum and bio-organic-quantum-gravi-electro-magneticized-techno-nano-atomic) distortion from 15 lightyears without trying too hard, but still I think it deserves a mention.

And yes, I totally made up that long word. Maybe I can get hired on to do a remake of Voyager!
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Sinon wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:Tricorders can even tell you what a species DNA looks like from a short scan (witness Insurrection when Crusher realises the Terrible Truth (TM) about the Son'a).
Are you sure that is what is happening? The Tricorder could just be giving a probability based on Body Composition and Organ Placement.
Crusher explicitly says to Picard when showing him the scan:
CRUSHER: "Captain, take a look at this med-scan. His DNa profile."
PICARD: "How can that be possible?"

Emphasis mine.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Crusher explicitly says to Picard when showing him the scan:
CRUSHER: "Captain, take a look at this med-scan. His DNa profile."
PICARD: "How can that be possible?"

Emphasis mine.
I'm not disputing your quote, Eternal Freedom, I'm just going to point to a few things in the show I found during my investigation.

In DS9: The Passenger, Julian Bashir states "Ah, yes, well... tricorders, very accurate with living people, not so accurate with dead ones. We learned that in first year medical school." So either the So'na was merely unconscious, or Dr. Crusher forgot that the tricorder isn't very accurate against dead tissue.

Now, even if you discount DS9 due to different writers, within TNG itself, it is stated in TNG: Genesis and TNG: All Good Things... that the medical tricorder is no substitute for specialized equipment found in sickbay. Sure, there might have been advancements in the tricorders since then, but if the tricorder can do detailed genetic scans and study the body, then there should be no need for advanced, specialized equipment within sickbay.

"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team