A Star Destroyer vs. YOU

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

mutanthamster
Redshirt

Re: A Star Destroyer vs. YOU

Post by mutanthamster »

This would be a more fair fight for the Star Fleet ships (depending on who is in command) but it is hardly 'game over' for the SD. It just has too much of an edge in firepower.
I would have to dispute the ISD having the edge in firepower. Starfleet phasers are capable of annihilating targets completely. I do not recall anything in Star Wars having that capability.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

mutanthamster wrote:
This would be a more fair fight for the Star Fleet ships (depending on who is in command) but it is hardly 'game over' for the SD. It just has too much of an edge in firepower.
I would have to dispute the ISD having the edge in firepower. Starfleet phasers are capable of annihilating targets completely. I do not recall anything in Star Wars having that capability.
By weird technobabble rays that are entirely dependent on what they're shooting. Sure, they make organic matter disappear but then there's the infamous uselessness against packing crates. Furthermore, disruptor rifles.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Wow I really started a discussion here. 8) That being said...even if we assumed that ST/SW had the exact same firepower, the shear numbers of guns on an ISD/SSD would carry the day. Say a turbolaser has the same firepower as a Sovereign/War Galaxy phaser array...that is what 60 equivalent Phaser arrays? I could be wrong on the numbers though. Still, my point stands, even with the same firepower, the ISD still has the advantage from number of guns (though it would be a more fair fight).
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Cesario
Subhuman Pedophilia Advocate

Post by Cesario »

Panzersharkcat wrote:
mutanthamster wrote:
By weird technobabble rays that are entirely dependent on what they're shooting. Sure, they make organic matter disappear but then there's the infamous uselessness against packing crates. Furthermore, disruptor rifles.
Consider the following:

Star Trek has replicators in common use for manufacturing, on demand, virtually any good desired. The only things that people would ship in a universe with that technology are the rare few things that can't be replicated, or those items for which there is a prevailing belief in the superiority of the non-replciated version.

Now, among the things that we know there is a demand for is non-replicated foodstuffs. Real steak, fresh fruit, etc. Now one thing these foodstuffs have in common is this: they spoil over time.

But what if you had a piece of technology that made time pass more slowly? You could ship farm fresh eggs, perfectly ripe peaches, and it will arrive at your destination as fresh and tasty as the day it was packaged. Now imagine if the technology to build such a wonder could fit inside a small device the size of an armband. You'd have to be insane not to use that in your packing crates, now wouldn't you?

Now, if time is effectively stopped inside these packing crates, what do you think that means for their reaction to weapons fire? It means the weapons won't do their thing until the stasis field is shut off, making them perfect for cover.

This also handily explains why the don't use the material in those packing crates for armor. Putting your soldiers in temporal stasis for the duration of a battle isn't particularly helpful.

In short, don't underestimate the packing crates.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

As fascinating (and pretty good and funny) as that theory is, I seem to remember phasers not doing so well against dense metals. (Fuck, I need to continue watching Trek past the first season of TOS.)
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Phasers also have multiple settings, including stun and the light kill settings (i.e. you get shot by it and you die but you don't disappear or 'vapourise'). Any time a phaser hits a packing crate and gets blocked by it, I always wonder if its because they simply haven't set them to the highest levels. And we've seen what a phaser on level 16 can do.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

We see hand phasers disappearing things all the time, but do we ever see ship-mounted weapons doing that? As far as I can remember we don't.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Yeah, the Enterprise-D has done drilling with its main phasers before. The visual effect shows the beam strike the surface and 'disappear' the dirt and whatever's beneath. I just can't remember the episode/s.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Ah, fair enough. I was thinking ship-to-ship.

Maybe the "Dissapearing" thing only works in an atmosphere for some reason?

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I seem to remember it happening in some of the DS9 space battles, too, but don't ask me for specific episodes leave alone scenes.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

IIRC we see some Cardassian beams blow holes in saucers sections,but I don't think hat counts as "disappearing" stuff.

For reference, I'm thinking of Third battle of Bajor in "Sacrifice of Angels" and First Chintoka in "Tears of the Prophets."

the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

It happened a lot actually. Cardassian beams often tended to make chunks of the ship go poof, but only in the general area of incidence. Not that it really matters, because if they manage to drop an ISD's shields, then the next big hit will likely be a PT going flying through the bridge window.
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Oh well, geuss I was wrong.

Shit happens.

Generalissimo
Redshirt

Post by Generalissimo »

Only one StarDestroyer?
I have a fleet of 2 Sovereigns, 3 Defiants, 2 Akiras and 2 Mirandas.
I can do this.
I’m outgunned and significantly disadvantaged, going by typical stardestroyer.net calculations, but I could do this.
I can do this . . . at least that’s what I would tell myself – a survival mantra.

Remember that the Federation’s greatest weakness is tactical dumbassery.
I’m not Sun-Tzu, but that’s not stopping me from producing a better showing than vanilla StarFleet.
Screw sub light combat, it’s suicide, the imperial wedge can (and will) tear my taskforce apart.
My only advantage is that Federation ships require less time to reach (their inferior) FTL.
Tactical warp jumps, multiple vectors, fire focused to a single point of the ISD.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Have them chase me in to an asteroid belt. They'd be crazy to follow.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Generalissimo
Redshirt

Post by Generalissimo »

Prometheus Unbound wrote:Have them chase me in to an asteroid belt. They'd be crazy to follow.
Asteroids fields are something the Federation might have access to that is quantifiably known to hinder a Star Destroyer!