Worst Star Trek vs Star Wars fanfiction you have read

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Luke Skywalker
Padawan Learner

Re: Worst Star Trek vs Star Wars fanfiction you have read

Post by Luke Skywalker »

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Liberals opposed slavery, supported labor protection laws, supported civil rights, supported Womens' right, opposed the spoils system, supported Scientific advancement and research and support gay marriage. Conservatives did the opposite. Guess which side has the intellectual, forward thinking progressives, and which side has rich fundamentalist anti-gay white slave owners?
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: I did notice that ST did at least offer some resistance to an Imperial attack
Yeah, if I'm not mistaken firepower was intentionally balanced out so the story could be interesting
(Though why Picard didn't transmit sensor logs of his battle with the Romulans to the Imperials when they reached earth was beyond me, it would have proved that he did his damnedest to stop them attacking the ring station).
There are a few quirks like that in the story

Why didn't Picard warn the Empire about the Romulans when the Enterprise first identified them? ("Um, Empire guys, there's this fleet of cloaked Romulan warbirds on their way to smash up your shit. They aren't affiliated with us, we don't know how they got here, but we'll do what we can to delay them, again they are not affiliated with the Federation in any shape or form, just making that clear.)

I have to say, I have read sections of that story many, many times :D
Conquest is simply epic

The story is how an "equitable" conflict between the two franchises should be portrayed. What makes it so good is the story, not so much the battles.
Spoiler
Though ISD's ramming the Death Star, the Fed's turning against the Rebels during battle and helping the Empire because it's the "moral" thing to do, and Picard making the Borg "...PAY FOR WHAT THEY'VE DONE!" Are all Awesome^100
The story is very well written, and I prefer it's handling of characters (SW backstory, and Trek-verse "current events") far more than 'Nemesis' and Star Wars EU ended up doing things.

The bad fanfics tend rely on the battles. The story is just a pretense to display the writer's personal bias and to frame those day dreams of either a lone Star Destroyer one shoting whole fleets and conquering the Milky Way by itself, or the Enterprise shrugging off a Superlaser with it's navigational deflector and destroying the Death Star with a single photon torpedo.

The Horrific fanfics have all the makings of a bad one and additionally are poorly composed, like using a screenplay format.
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

FedRebel wrote: Yeah, if I'm not mistaken firepower was intentionally balanced out so the story could be interesting
Actually I think that was explained a little in the story. Apparently the heavy turbolasers traversed too slowly to track most of the more agile Federation ships, and so the SDs had had to rely on their small guns to do most of their damage (I imagine their spectacularly terrible placement added to this problem somewhat). When we do see them used on Federation ships they annihilate two Miranda Classes in a single volley.
Last edited by the atom on 2011-09-20 11:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

*double post*
harbringer
Padawan Learner

Post by harbringer »

What was the name of the one with "Mary Jane" in it ... you know the one where she uses a phaser to engrave her name .... that melted my brain far worse than portal...
"Depending on who you talk to, a mercenary can be anything from a savior to the scum of the universe. On the Wolf's Dragoons world of Outreach, the Mercenary's Star, we know what a merc really is - a business man." - Wolf's Dragoons, Outreach (Merc World mag. 3056)
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

the atom wrote:
FedRebel wrote: Yeah, if I'm not mistaken firepower was intentionally balanced out so the story could be interesting
Actually I think that was explained a little in the story. Apparently the heavy turbolasers traversed too slowly to track most of the more agile Federation ships, and so the SDs had had to rely on their small guns to do most of their damage (I imagine their spectacularly terrible placement added to this problem somewhat). When we do see them used on Federation ships they annihilate two Miranda Classes in a single volley.
Somehow I doubt the Turbolasers being able to traverse 360 degrees in 3 seconds (such as the heavy guns of a Venator) is too slow to track even the most agile of federation ships (given their performances observed during the Dominion war battles). Then again how old is that fic?
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

Again, it would not be a problem.
harbringer
Padawan Learner

Post by harbringer »

I couldn't find the fanfic I was looking for but this one is pretty bad - for a start it has Janeway... then again never liked Janeway so that could be altering my opinion the reviews seem to like it.

http://www.reviewboy.com/janeway1.html
"Depending on who you talk to, a mercenary can be anything from a savior to the scum of the universe. On the Wolf's Dragoons world of Outreach, the Mercenary's Star, we know what a merc really is - a business man." - Wolf's Dragoons, Outreach (Merc World mag. 3056)
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

harbringer wrote:I couldn't find the fanfic I was looking for but this one is pretty bad - for a start it has Janeway... then again never liked Janeway so that could be altering my opinion the reviews seem to like it.
You know of course that X-number-of-stars reviews are next to worthless as an actual measure of quality. A lot of the time (I hesitate to say "most") only the people who liked a film or whatever actually rate it.

I had a source for this at some point (might've been an NPR story), but I can't remember what it was...
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

Azron_Stoma wrote: Somehow I doubt the Turbolasers being able to traverse 360 degrees in 3 seconds (such as the heavy guns of a Venator) is too slow to track even the most agile of federation ships (given their performances observed during the Dominion war battles). Then again how old is that fic?
360 degrees?

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/f/f0/ISD.jpg

Unless those big guns can telescope over the main superstructure that's not terribly likely. Considering their abysmal placement they really aren't well set up for much besides 17th century broadsides.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

I'm pretty sure the only HTLs we ever see traverse are the DS1's surface emplacements in ANH. They're able to swing around pretty darn quick as I recall.

@the atom: You'll have to point the HTLs in that picture out to me. I'm not sure what you're looking at.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

Weren't those LTLs? I'm pretty sure ICS mentioned that HTLs are too slow to track fighters.

But anyways the HTLs on the ISD are right at the base of the main superstructure just to the lower left.
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

those were HTLs, and they were too slow to track the X-wings, which is why they sent the TIE Fighters. The ICS states under the paragraph all about the HTL that in it's close-fighting, fast tracking mode the turret can rotate in under 3 seconds. Admitedly they wouldn't have much point in going full 360 due to the superstructure/bridge tower in the way. However the point stands that they would be fast enough to track federation ships given the ranges and engine performance levels displayed in the dominion war.
Ryag Han
Youngling

Post by Ryag Han »

95% of people laugh at other people because they are different. Copy this into your profile if you are a part of the 5% that laughs at the other 95% because they're all the same

RAT-FLAIR