Why do people assume that the Empire has better tech?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Helmet
Transphobic Ignoramus

Re: Why do people assume that the Empire has better tech?

Post by Lord Helmet »

Destructionator XIII wrote:I'm pretty sure Serafina is indeed a female. Though, there's really no need to worry about gender pronouns anyway. This is the internet, we're all just blobs of text. It seems silly to emphasize it back to someone when you could just run with what everyone else does.
I have no interest in discussing the issue anywhere due to how it almost always ends up in a pissing contest and especially not on here where people seem to always be looking for a reason to brand people with a hate crime of one kind or another (although the mental handicaps ect seem to be ok for being referenced as insult material it seems).
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

Lord Helmet wrote:Actually i was foolish enough to think they would continue reading past the first 15 or so word introduction and see that he claims (or at least his calcs do) that the shields were up (they were not as they were raised later) that they did not get hit by the eruption (when the fact that they were flying into one is the reason they later raised them).
Nice try. If the figure of 150,000km wasn't relevant, you wouldn't have brought it up. You should just admit when you fuck up like that.
As for your other objections...

Picard questions Worf about the shields, which Worf reports are up, at 23% (exactly what Mike wrote).
The episode in question wrote:PICARD (to Worf): Shields?

WORF: Shields are up... but only at twenty-three percent.
The main page wrote:The star is said to be releasing a lot of prominences, but we never see the ship actually get engulfed in one of these prominences so they aren't really relevant.
Mike said we don't see the ship get hit by any of the solar flares, and we don't. In fact, the solar flare observed by the bridge crew of was viewed obliquely- it wasn't even heading in their general direction. At one point we see the ship being shaken around somewhat, but it is clearly not by a sloar flare- we get an exterior shot of the ship which confirms it. It is general proximity to the star in a time of increased stellar activity, and thus increased radiation that was causing the issue.
Note also that Data staes they are inside the photosphere of the star- inconsistant with his statement that they were orbiting the star at 150,00km, which would place them in the corona). This is entirly consistant with Mike's calculations based on observations of the events in Descent, Part II.
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Lord Helmet wrote:
Destructionator XIII wrote:I'm pretty sure Serafina is indeed a female. Though, there's really no need to worry about gender pronouns anyway. This is the internet, we're all just blobs of text. It seems silly to emphasize it back to someone when you could just run with what everyone else does.
I have no interest in discussing the issue anywhere due to how it almost always ends up in a pissing contest and especially not on here where people seem to always be looking for a reason to brand people with a hate crime of one kind or another (although the mental handicaps ect seem to be ok for being referenced as insult material it seems).
So you're just a garden-variety transphobic then. Serafina is a female, and you will refer to her as such. If you refuse, you will be banned immediately.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Lord Helmet
Transphobic Ignoramus

Post by Lord Helmet »

Darth Tedious wrote:Nice try. If the figure of 150,000km wasn't relevant, you wouldn't have brought it up. You should just admit when you fuck up like that.
As for your other objections...
You really need to comprehend a bit better retard.

The episode in question wrote: Picard questions Worf about the shields, which Worf reports are up, at 23% (exactly what Mike wrote).

PICARD (to Worf): Shields?

WORF: Shields are up... but only at twenty-three percent.
Wrong.

Picard turns to Worf after he sees the eruption they are heading into and gives the order "SHIELDS!" we then see Worf raising the shields using the tactical station (clearly having trouble doing so due to the damage) and then he reports "Shields are up... but only at twenty-three percent".

It is one of the most well known dishonest uses of twisting events on this board actually.

Mike said we don't see the ship get hit by any of the solar flares, and we don't. In fact, the solar flare observed by the bridge crew of was viewed obliquely- it wasn't even heading in their general direction. At one point we see the ship being shaken around somewhat, but it is clearly not by a sloar flare- we get an exterior shot of the ship which confirms it. It is general proximity to the star in a time of increased stellar activity, and thus increased radiation that was causing the issue.
Bull fucking shit we clearly see the shield bubble getting hit after they are raised but images of the ship prior to that show the ship without the shield bubble at all and not getting hit.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Lord Helmet wrote:
Batman wrote: I note a distinct refusal to actually show that. If Serafina was wrong then showing that she was shouldn't be all that hard.
It is quite easy really as the depth they were drilling to was mentioned and shown during the episode so claiming other wise is denying direct canon material visual and dialog.
You will now show me the visuals that showed they were 3000km deep, because the ones I saw were totally incompatible with that. The only bit of canon that supports a drilling depth of 3000km is one line of dialogue. Tough luck. The visuals say otherwise.
What he (i read some of the argument on the other site as well) seems to have done is nitpick a few details regarding the temperature and pressure in order to try and deny those facts.
What she did was point out that the visuals were totally incompatible with that one line of dialogue that constitutes your 'facts'.
No it's not, the point is why should Mike do so in the first place.(kindly note that I'm in no position whatsoever to allow anybody to do anything on this forum, because I'm just another poster). This is his private property and you're not entitled to anything when it comes down to it. Furthermore, this is something that has been done to death before numerous times. The game isn't just over, it's heading for the territory were paleontologists might become interested.
Us Newbies can enjoy ourselves any way we want, I just fail to see why Mike is required to allow us to do so here (a lot of which is still going on, I might add). This forum is private property.
I do not know if mike does so or not personally i was referring to assholes who charge in with insults and one liners and ruin the fun of others.
Sucks to be you then. Show me the board rule that says you're entitled to rehash debates that a goodly number of people are hartily sick of.
Whatever for? So far you haven't provided anything in the way of evidence for your point.
The evidence has been provided literaly hundreds of times over the years pal do not kid yourself.
I notice a continuing lack of you showing it :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Luke Skywalker
Padawan Learner

Post by Luke Skywalker »

An assumption implies that it is a premise. The Empire having superior tech is the conclusion (or a major corollary to the conclusion of SW winning), and much of SDN is dedicated to it. It's not an assumption.

Gah...that sounded weird.
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Liberals opposed slavery, supported labor protection laws, supported civil rights, supported Womens' right, opposed the spoils system, supported Scientific advancement and research and support gay marriage. Conservatives did the opposite. Guess which side has the intellectual, forward thinking progressives, and which side has rich fundamentalist anti-gay white slave owners?
Lord Helmet
Transphobic Ignoramus

Post by Lord Helmet »

Batman wrote: You will now show me the visuals that showed they were 3000km deep, because the ones I saw were totally incompatible with that. The only bit of canon that supports a drilling depth of 3000km is one line of dialogue. Tough luck. The visuals say otherwise.
They had a diagram of the planet with the drilling path being pointed out retard.

Plus even without that visual material you do not get to deny canon material about the depth by nitpicking a few minor details that can be easily explained by trek tech dealing with them using cooling and forcefields.
Apart from the fact i did above you mean, fuck me its a few posts up on the same page and you still deny its existence talk about making my point.... thanks a lot dipshit :D
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Lord Helmet wrote:
Batman wrote: You will now show me the visuals that showed they were 3000km deep, because the ones I saw were totally incompatible with that. The only bit of canon that supports a drilling depth of 3000km is one line of dialogue. Tough luck. The visuals say otherwise.
They had a diagram of the planet with the drilling path being pointed out retard.

Plus even without that visual material you do not get to deny canon material about the depth by nitpicking a few minor details that can be easily explained by trek tech dealing with them using cooling and forcefields.
Oh, when did they mention setting up force fields. Also, while I'm at it... Why does light from the shaft reach them? Why does the caver their in look nothing like what we would expect? Why do we see no devices for maintaining a force field when they have needed them before? Why is any of this simpler than the diagram and dialogue being at fault?
Apart from the fact i did above you mean, fuck me its a few posts up on the same page and you still deny its existence talk about making my point.... thanks a lot dipshit :D
You haven't actually proved shit. You keep making claims, not even close to the hundreds you've also claimed, and then bitching when called to task on that.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
The Wookiee
Lex Wookos

Post by The Wookiee »

Dalton wrote:
Lord Helmet wrote:
So you're just a garden-variety transphobic then. Serafina is a female, and you will refer to her as such. If you refuse, you will be banned immediately.
Lord Helmet has been banned for the following:

• Deliberately referring to Serafina as "he" several times despite being corrected
• Ignoring the Administrator
• Ignoring an Administrative Warning
"I suggest a new strategy, Artoo: Let The Wookiee win."
SDnet BBS Administrator: Service With A Roar (And A Hydrospanner)
Knight of the Order of the Galactic Empire

Do not taunt The Wookiee.
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

That's fair, though I would rather have seen them get banned for their debating...

Nice title they copped.
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Who's "they" and "them"? Was anyone but Lord Helmet banned?
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Thanks for the update. I'm surprised this wasn't in parting shots already.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Metahive wrote:Who's "they" and "them"? Was anyone but Lord Helmet banned?
Perhaps Tedious can't believe that any single person could be as stupid and intolerant as Helmet and therefore assumed there were several of it?
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Batman wrote:
Perhaps Tedious can't believe that any single person could be as stupid and intolerant as Helmet and therefore assumed there were several of it?
So a hive mind of stupidity then?
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

Norade wrote:
Batman wrote:
So a hive mind of stupidity then?
As in the Borg Collective?
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Err-do you remember in which context Mike mentioned that? Because I very much suspect it was about interplanetary/interstellar traffic to and from Coruscant, not surface-to-surface hops on Coruscant or surface-to-orbit stuff which in Trek absolutely would be handled by transporter a lot of the time (which, before anybody brings up the plethora of transporter accidents over the series', seem to function just fine under everyday working conditions).
Top Cap
Redshirt

Post by Top Cap »

The Wookiee wrote:
Dalton wrote: So you're just a garden-variety transphobic then. Serafina is a female, and you will refer to her as such. If you refuse, you will be banned immediately.
Lord Helmet has been banned for the following:

• Deliberately referring to Serafina as "he" several times despite being corrected
• Ignoring the Administrator
• Ignoring an Administrative Warning
I am hardly surprised that the bullshit extends to the fucking moderators but i am shocked that you are this obvious about it.

Yes i got the warning you mention above and NO i did not ignore it but by all means look at my posts between the warning and now and post where i refer to Serafina at all let alone as a male as they are all on this page.

I suppose pointing out the bullshit regarding relics on the front pages was more than your delusions were willing to accept huh and you needed to remove the nasty truth teller at any cost?.

Norade wrote:

Oh, when did they mention setting up force fields.
They are mentioned all the time in many episodes.

Also, while I'm at it... Why does light from the shaft reach them?
Because the light source in the shaft is within reach obviously moron.

Why does the cave their in look nothing like what we would expect?
What would you expect from a geological anomaly hit by the phasers, chilled by the cooling system and supported by forcefields to look like?.

Why do we see no devices for maintaining a force field when they have needed them before?
Why do we never see them in other episodes they are used?.
Why is any of this simpler than the diagram and dialogue being at fault?
Because the diagram and dialog is canon and not open to dispute, however minor oddities and details can be explained away by known and available tech.

Lets face it if we take your argument to its logical conclusion we can say that the ships we see are not flying through space or the crew and objects on-board are capable of withstanding tremendous heat as plasma conduits are supposedly running through the entire ship.

As such without a rather fantastic cooling system that works in space of all places the crew would bake but is this cooling system ever seen or mentioned in any episode?. NO it is not and it is never even referred to so by the same logic you are using to dismiss the canon depth of those caves we can say that all the ships ever seen in the Startrek galaxy were not flying through space (or the crew and object can ignore tremendous heat) because no mention of cooling ect means the insides of the ships must have been literally on fire.

/waits for new bullshit justification for a ban likely to be for creating this account to point out the LIE justifying the prior ban or a hand-wave towards "bad debating" (meaning i highlighted bullshit on the front pages and moronic logic to justify ignoring canon material).
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Begone transphobic troll and sock puppet of Lord Helmet.
Top Cap
Redshirt

Post by Top Cap »

Norade wrote:Begone transphobic troll and sock puppet of Lord Helmet.
I do not give a flying crap about trans-genders one way or the other and i certainly have no phobia about them (i did not raise the issue initially by putting "ehe" in italics fyi some one else did and i just ran with ignoring it as their posts usually contained insults) but i suppose it is a good excuse to ban me from posting inconvenient truths.
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

The mods must be busy today...
Obvious Troll wrote:/waits for new bullshit justification for a ban likely to be for creating this account to point out the LIE justifying the prior ban or a hand-wave towards "bad debating" (meaning i highlighted bullshit on the front pages and moronic logic to justify ignoring canon material).
If you felt your previous ban was unfair, you should have contacted the mods, not open a sockpuppet account (which is, in itself a bannable offense) to :cry: :cry: :cry: about it.

While you're still here, I'll point out that not 1, but 2 different transcripts as well as the original script of Relics all note Picard as asking Worf if the shields were up, not barking an order at him as you claim.
Seriously, you said you came here to debate for fun- why lie about something that happened in an episode of Star Trek?

Some people take this shit too seriously...

I wouldn't be surprised if you deliberately talked shit about Serfina in order to get yourself banned so you'd have something to bitch about. Spoiler
It's all a big fucking Warsie conspiracy. :mrgreen:

Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

You do realize sock puppets violate board rules right you rancid sack of shit>
Top Cap
Redshirt

Post by Top Cap »

Darth Tedious wrote: If you felt your previous ban was unfair, you should have contacted the mods, not open a sockpuppet account (which is, in itself a bannable offense) to :cry: :cry: :cry: about it.
So i could be ignored?, no thanks id rather post the lies they used to justify it out in the open.
While you're still here, I'll point out that not 1, but 2 different transcripts as well as the original script of Relics all note Picard as asking Worf if the shields were up, not barking an order at him as you claim.
Seriously, you said you came here to debate for fun- why lie about something that happened in an episode of Star Trek?
You are pulling fucking worthless transcripts out (that do not support your point anyway) VS the actual event in the episode where we actually see Worf raise the fucking shields using tactical after picard gives him the order?.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA..

Some people take bullshit too seriously...
I wouldn't be surprised if you deliberately talked shit about Serfina in order to get yourself banned so you'd have something to bitch about.
Considering i did not talk shit about Serafina your entire fucking argument has about as much worth as all the other bullshit you have tried to dish out.

You do realize sock puppets violate board rules right you rancid sack of shit>
Considering that pointing out popular bullshit means that mods can make up lies about things i have done to ban me do you think i give a fuck about breaking a actual rule to point it out you retarded cunt?.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Thus the helmet cried out and shrank into a beanie. "Behold", shouted Vergil to Dante, "o how the mighty have fallen! Or how a bottom feeder ignored the first rule of holes, whatever".
Beanie wrote:Some people take bullshit too seriously...
So serious in fact they create sock-puppet accounts just to shout at people.

Seriously, what's the deal with you? Can't even try and leave with a modicum of dignity?
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Top Cap
Redshirt

Post by Top Cap »

Metahive wrote:
Seriously, what's the deal with you? Can't even try and leave with a modicum of dignity?
I will tell you what you show me the post between my warning and my ban where i refer to Serafina in a insulting way or in fact at all and i will leave without needing to be banned with a apology and never to return how about that?.
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

Metahive wrote:Seriously, what's the deal with you? Can't even try and leave with a modicum of dignity?
We are talking about an entity that is willing to lie about an episode of Star Trek...
Obvious Troll wrote:Picard turns to Worf after he sees the eruption they are heading into and gives the order "SHIELDS!"
Seriously, it was a question. Note the raised inflection at the end of the word...

"Shields?"