Star Wars vs. Star Trek: The Book

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Star Wars vs. Star Trek: The Book

Post by Sidewinder »

I found this at a local bookstore, while looking up Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 novels. It's full of versus scenarios, e.g., the Millenium Falcon vs. the USS Voyager, Jean-Luc Picard vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi, Khan Noonien Singh vs. Darth Vader... It's amusing, but full of bullshit endings, such as having the Redshirts vs. Stormtroopers battle end in a draw (the author assumes that, because both sides have infinite numbers of expendable troops, the battle will drag on indefinitely), or having B'Elanna Torres kill Commander Cody with a phaser set on kill (the author assumes Cody's armor is no defense against the phaser). At least he doesn't adopt the lasers fallacy and assume Deep Space Nine will survive an encounter with the Death Star.

Anyone else seen the book?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Re: Star Wars vs. Star Trek: The Book

Post by Anguirus »

Hmm, anyone know this Forbeck character? I imagine that if he did so much as Google his title, this site would have popped up.

B'Elanna Torres vs. Commander Cody? Who the fuck would even think of that matchup?
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Does anyone expect rational analysis and quantification for something like this? Obviously it will just be the rule of cool and style over substance.

And, no, I have not read it. So if I am wrong, I apologise. But I do expect very little of such a book.
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

Darth Hoth wrote:Does anyone expect rational analysis and quantification for something like this? Obviously it will just be the rule of cool and style over substance.

And, no, I have not read it. So if I am wrong, I apologise. But I do expect very little of such a book.
See, this is what happens when you let people loose with the literary mindset of a twig in soggy underbrush. You get something so nonsensical, JasonB could replace Shakespeare.
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Anguirus wrote:B'Elanna Torres vs. Commander Cody? Who the fuck would even think of that matchup?
The author filed it under "Weapons- Pistols," because both characters seem to favor pistols. That doesn't even begin to deal with the absurdity of B'Elanna- who, unlike Worf, is NOT a warrior who fanatically spends every waking hour preparing for battle- defeating someone literally made for war, as Cody is.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Yet more dreck designed to sell to those fans who'll still buy anything...
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Sidewinder wrote:
Anguirus wrote:B'Elanna Torres vs. Commander Cody? Who the fuck would even think of that matchup?
The author filed it under "Weapons- Pistols," because both characters seem to favor pistols. That doesn't even begin to deal with the absurdity of B'Elanna- who, unlike Worf, is NOT a warrior who fanatically spends every waking hour preparing for battle- defeating someone literally made for war, as Cody is.
Torres was a Starfleet officer, and before that a Marquis. She is not some civilian.

Also, while Cody might be able to survive a phaser shot, I highly doubt he'd survive an overload.

Edit: Stormtroopers vs Redshirts would certainly not end in a draw though. Quality of the troops aside, I'm sure the Empire has more of them.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Torres was a Starfleet officer, and before that a Marquis. She is not some civilian.
She's an engineer, NOT infantry, ranger, or Special Forces. She likely has MINIMAL combat training, or she'd otherwise waste time she needs to do her REAL JOB: keeping the ship's power plant and propulsion units in working condition.
Also, while Cody might be able to survive a phaser shot, I highly doubt he'd survive an overload.
The book specifically states Torres won by shooting Cody, NOT by using an overloading phaser as an IED. It also claims Cody lost because he was a pacifist, or some bullshit like that.

Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

If someone asked me to think of all the Star Trek lead cast who are known for using "pistols," B'Elanna would be about thirtieth on the list. o_0

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Sidewinder wrote: She's an engineer, NOT infantry, ranger, or Special Forces. She likely has MINIMAL combat training, or she'd otherwise waste time she needs to do her REAL JOB: keeping the ship's power plant and propulsion units in working condition.
She's been in a lot of combat situations in canon.
The book specifically states Torres won by shooting Cody, NOT by using an overloading phaser as an IED. It also claims Cody lost because he was a pacifist, or some bullshit like that.
Ah, I'm not sure where I got "overload" from. My apologies.

As for Cody being a pacifist, yeah, tell that to Obi-wan Kenobi.
Luke Skywalker
Padawan Learner

Post by Luke Skywalker »

Does the author factor in calculations or even basic logic/military tactics, or is it a bullshit book lacking any thought out endings?
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Liberals opposed slavery, supported labor protection laws, supported civil rights, supported Womens' right, opposed the spoils system, supported Scientific advancement and research and support gay marriage. Conservatives did the opposite. Guess which side has the intellectual, forward thinking progressives, and which side has rich fundamentalist anti-gay white slave owners?
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Wait, Commander Cody the clone trooper who coldly obeys military orders? I'm astounded that anyone can call him a "pacifist." :lol:

Arguments based on science, military knowledge, math, and analysis of canon evidence is beyond the understanding and interest of most people not involved in the niche hobby that this site was originally founded on. This was likely written for the casual scifi fan, who just wants to read through fun "what if" scenarios that alternate between dumbed down but genuine arguments, and blatant acknowledgement of the subject's fiction ("because both sides have infinite numbers of expendable troops, the battle will drag on indefinitely").
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

A lot like some fucknut I was debating on ground combat who wanted to take away the Imperial's vehicles in order to make it a "fair fight".

I read though the online preview and saw the first quiz and saw two glaring errors- first, alternate universe Kirk was born on one of the rescue shuttles, not on the Kelvin itself, and the first captain of the E-Nil was Robert April, not Pike if you go by TAS. Fuck, he can't even get the spelling right, it's "Pike", not "Pyke" :banghead:

It goes on to claim that all the previous Enterprises before D were destroyed, just how much shitting all over canon is this guy trying to do?
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

Wait, Commander Cody the clone trooper who coldly obeys military orders? I'm astounded that anyone can call him a "pacifist." :lol:
Perhaps he wrote "I'm so very sorry...please forgive me" on the shell that killed Obi-Wan's lizard.

-Tanasinn
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Here is a chilling question. This thing mentions SW characters and becouse it has been published and sold that means it has to have some level of approval from Lucas. Even if that level of approval is simply a license that still technically makes it EU material.

Does that mean this book is cannon?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

^ I don't think the conclusion follows from the premises. Many official SW products are non-canon, and many non-official SW products mention SW characters. In fact I don't think this book is a narrative work at all.

-Tanasinn
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

The Deathstalker flipped through the book at Borders the other day. It's a comparison on how cool characters are, which franchise made more money, which has more name recognition and the culture differences like governments and religion. The author gives points to everything, and Spoiler alert! SW wins by point.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Purple wrote:Here is a chilling question. This thing mentions SW characters and becouse it has been published and sold that means it has to have some level of approval from Lucas. Even if that level of approval is simply a license that still technically makes it EU material.

Wookieepedia wrote:N is Non-Canon. What-if stories (such as stories published under the Infinities label) and anything else directly and irreconcilably contradicted by higher canon ends up here. N is the only level that is not considered canon by Lucasfilm. Information cut from canon, deleted scenes, or from canceled Star Wars works falls into this category as well, unless another canonical work references it and it is declared c
At the most, that is what this book is.
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Purple wrote:Here is a chilling question. This thing mentions SW characters and becouse it has been published and sold that means it has to have some level of approval from Lucas. Even if that level of approval is simply a license that still technically makes it EU material.

How the fuck is that 'chilling'.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:

How the fuck is that 'chilling'.
It would be to people who actually take the vs debate really seriously.

Though I think I read some of this, and the scenarios could be so silly that their having any canon validity would be bad for that reason alone.

Personally I'd love a canon Star Trek vs Star Wars story, but only if it was well-written and classified as an alternate universe story rather than part of the main continuity.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Destructionator XIII wrote:* note this doesn't actually exist. I just made it up for this post.
:(

Now I'm shattered.
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Destructionator giveth, and Destructionator taketh away.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

PS That channel is a fucking gold mine for hilarious TNG and Trek related re-edits/spoofs. :D
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

The Romulan Republic wrote: Though I think I read some of this, and the scenarios could be so silly that their having any canon validity would be bad for that reason alone.
Wait, wait, are there actual functioning grown adults somewhere who care about 'canon'.
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:Destructionator giveth, and Destructionator taketh away.
Yeah, but...
"Fire at will!" Picard wasn't playing games.

Worf pulled out his phaser and shot Riker.

"God dammit, Worf!"
It was all worth it for that bit! :mrgreen:
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy