Can Federation destroy Death Stars

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Re: Can Federation destroy Death Stars

Post by Panzersharkcat »

StarSword wrote:Seems to me such a vital system would be more intelligently located deep within the ship.
They should probably also bury the bridge inside the ship to avoid something embarrassing like that from happening at all.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Panzersharkcat wrote:
StarSword wrote:Seems to me such a vital system would be more intelligently located deep within the ship.
They should probably also bury the bridge inside the ship to avoid something embarrassing like that from happening at all.
In Zahn's Outbound Flight, then-Commander Thrawn gives a very good reason for not burying the bridge: what happens when battle damage and/or enemy ECM knocks out the sensors and cameras you're using to pass visual data to the bridge? If the bridge has windows, you can use the Mark I Eyeball® to see what's happening, since the overwhelming majority of combat in SW takes place inside visual range. If the bridge is buried, you're blind.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

StarSword wrote:
Panzersharkcat wrote:
In Zahn's Outbound Flight, then-Commander Thrawn gives a very good reason for not burying the bridge: what happens when battle damage and/or enemy ECM knocks out the sensors and cameras you're using to pass visual data to the bridge? If the bridge has windows, you can use the Mark I Eyeball® to see what's happening, since the overwhelming majority of combat in SW takes place inside visual range. If the bridge is buried, you're blind.
Alright. I suppose if the shields around the bridge get blown away, the ship's probably going to be dead soon, anyway.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

The best explanation I've seen for starfighter weapons breaking through capital ship deflector shields comes directly from the X-Wing novels. Forcing the shields to block multiple near-simultaneous impacts causes temporary local failure, possibly due to computer overload. First appearance of this tactic that I can think of comes from the Rogues' attack on the Interdictor-class cruiser Black Asp in Rogue Squadron. This is also why the Falcon's concussion missiles are launched in staggered pairs (the first missile disrupts shielding or penetrates armor, and the second does the real damage), and why the Falcon's turrets are fitted with beam splitters (forces the shields of a target to deal with two impacts simultaneously).

(WTF am I still doing up at nearly five in the morning?)

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Destructionator XIII wrote:
The difference is, the Star Trek dialogue contradicts the visuals within the exact same episode, frequently within a less than five-minute period.
No, they usually don't. Even if they did, that's no reason to throw out the evidence. Reinterpret it maybe, but not throw it out.
Who is throwing evidence out? All we're saying is the dialogue frequently contradicts what happens onscreen. 'Throwing out' evidence would mean ignoring the dialogue ever happened to begin with. Not done here. We just assume the dialogue is wrong when it apparently is. All the dialogue is evidence of is that the characters said what they said. That doesn't make what they said correct.
Star Trek's well-established track record of butchering science, math, and engineering doesn't help.
Well-exaggerated maybe.
Exaggerated my ass. Trek, especially TNG and up, is lousy with incidents of them doing so.
They have a bad habit of babbling [tech], but calling that unreliable that's different than simply ignoring evidence.
Since you apparently agree they're talking out of their ass a lot of the time I have to ask where, exactly, is anybody ignoring evidence?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

StarSword wrote:
Panzersharkcat wrote:
That was always what I felt was the reason for the bridges to have the windows like that. They use holographic imaging for long range stuff but the windows are still useful. In Abrams trek they use the view-screen as an overlay, which was an Idea I had back in '06/'07.

It's nice when that kind of stuff becomes at least SOME form of Canon.
Danny
Redshirt

Post by Danny »

May JJ Abrams burn in hell.
There are 3 types of people in this world: Winners, Losers, and Guys like me who make winners look like losers.
If stupidity was a crime, Earth would be 1 giant prison colony.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Azron_Stoma wrote:
StarSword wrote:In Zahn's Outbound Flight, then-Commander Thrawn gives a very good reason for not burying the bridge: what happens when battle damage and/or enemy ECM knocks out the sensors and cameras you're using to pass visual data to the bridge? If the bridge has windows, you can use the Mark I Eyeball® to see what's happening, since the overwhelming majority of combat in SW takes place inside visual range. If the bridge is buried, you're blind.
That was always what I felt was the reason for the bridges to have the windows like that. They use holographic imaging for long range stuff but the windows are still useful. In Abrams trek they use the view-screen as an overlay, which was an Idea I had back in '06/'07.

It's nice when that kind of stuff becomes at least SOME form of Canon.
J.J. Abrams was hardly the first to come up with that. They overlay comm signals on the viewscreen all the time in the main timeline.