Castellan

Re: Can Federation destroy Death Stars

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

No, I don't think I'm going to miss him that much
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

General Schatten wrote:
fallendragon wrote:I think part of me is going to miss Picard. He was entertaining if nothing else.
Then you should join spacebattles, he just signed up there.
Can we see a link to anything he's spewing?
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Srelex wrote:
General Schatten wrote:
fallendragon wrote:I think part of me is going to miss Picard. He was entertaining if nothing else.
Then you should join spacebattles, he just signed up there.
Can we see a link to anything he's spewing?
If you're interested you'll have to go to SB yourself, it should be easy enough to find their VS forum and then look for a ST v SW thread. Otherwise I'll PM it.

His first post ever on Trek V Wars at SB was to deny that Acclamators have guns at all.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Does it really matter?
With it's size, mass and shields it should be sufficient to just ram each ST ship until all are dead.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

Purple wrote:Does it really matter?
With it's size, mass and shields it should be sufficient to just ram each ST ship until all are dead.
Wait... ram each ship? The Death Star doing the ramming? I want you to sit back for a moment, take a few deep breaths, and then slap the stupid out of yourself.

The Death Star has a mass several orders of magnitude larger than even an SSD. In the movies, everyone simply thinks that velocity matters, but in actuality, it's acceleration that's critical in space. The faster you can accelerate, the better you can open the distance between your ship and another one. Or close it, depending on what the case may be. In physics, the most simple equation is simply Force = Mass * Acceleration, in which the force is the amount of thrust you can achieve from your engines.

So let's say we have two ships, one weighing 1 metric ton, and the other two metric tons. Both have the same size engine, so their force is equal. We'll put the amount of force equal to say... 1*106 Newtons.

For the first ship, 1*106 Newtons/1*103 Kg=1*103 meter/sec2
For the second, 1*106 Newtons/2*103 Kg=500 meter/sec2

The point being made is that the Death Star has so much mass that even if a fleet of ISDs got out and pushed, it still would be one of the slowest accelerating ships in the entire galaxy. So no, the Death Star can't accelerate and just 'ram' everyone.
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

Maybe you should have read the few posts before his to get an idea of the context, Baffalo. Picard over on SB said that the Acclamator doesn't have any guns at all. Purple was, presumably jokingly, saying that even if the Acclamator doesn't have guns it would still be more than capable of ramming into Fed ships and smashing them apart with little damage to itself.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:Maybe you should have read the few posts before his to get an idea of the context, Baffalo. Picard over on SB said that the Acclamator doesn't have any guns at all. Purple was, presumably jokingly, saying that even if the Acclamator doesn't have guns it would still be more than capable of ramming into Fed ships and smashing them apart with little damage to itself.
Oh. In which case I apologize. Sometimes my hatred of stupidity can be my own undoing. *pats Purple on the head* Carry on lad.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Presumably he was using his "I ONLY USE THE MOVIEZ AND WE DONT SEE NO GUNZZZ!" argument, ignoring the cannon status of the ICS and the sheer stupiditiy of the idea

Sometimes I honestly wonder how people can live while being THAT retarded

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

It was exactly what SilverWingedSeraph said.
No problems about anything.

This said does anyone else feels that this thread should become the official "Mock that retard Picard thread?"
Or that we should at least make one in testing or some other place where we can post quotes from him on the other forum and bash them for our poetic entertainment?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Sounds like fun. Do you want to set it up or shall I?

Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Eh, that may be more attention than he warrants.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Yeah maybe. I suppose we can always remember him not very fondly and laugh at him endlessly.

What did he get banned for in the end anyway?

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Yeah maybe. I suppose we can always remember him not very fondly and laugh at him endlessly.

What did he get banned for in the end anyway?
Vandalising the wiki.
fallendragon
Youngling

Post by fallendragon »

Geting back to the original topic, we have:
A) very lucky photon torpedo shot
B) possible phase-cloak useage

is there any other way for the Federation to destroy the first Death Star?
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

Take a red shirt, stuff him in a space suit, and drop him down the shaft strapped with explosives.

Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

fallendragon wrote:Geting back to the original topic, we have:

In both cases we conveniently ignore the questions:

* How does the Federation get within range of the Death Star?
* How does the Federation know the Death Star's weakness(es)?
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

SancheztheWhaler wrote:
fallendragon wrote:Geting back to the original topic, we have:

In both cases we conveniently ignore the questions:

* How does the Federation get within range of the Death Star?
* How does the Federation know the Death Star's weakness(es)?
A number of different ways, if we choose to pull a Berman and pull reasons out of our ass.

Q might provide the answer, though I doubt he'd tell them directly. Remember, Q wants to challenge humanity and make them grow, so he might make them work to achieve the destruction of the DSI. That's the easiest way.

A second would be a rebellious element, either defecting Imperial troops or already existing Rebel soldiers, who provide the information hoping to get Starfleet to send ships that would, at best, pose a distraction while the Rebels drop the bomb.

And finally, Starfleet uses technobabble to get a probe close enough to detect the massive infared signature and decides that the best way would be to fly in and fire enough torpedoes that only through the magic of statistics and bullshit that one of the torpedoes gets through and hits the core.

Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

It's actually surprisingly easy and simple, it'll go like this:

1.Ent-D/Ent-nil/Voyager/NX-Ent happen upon Death Star. Death Star fires on ST ships, but character shields hold at 100% since only Writers Fiat Torpedos and Executive Order Beamcannons can penetrate them and the SW ones have already all been fired to destroy the insidious Karendo Tra'viss

2.Geordi/Scotty/B'ellana/Trip reverse the quantum polarity of the phase variance on the third, fourth and nth quark ring, causing nadion bluepoint cascade effects in the subraum level three field that triaxilate the pre and non-existing baryon paricles in combobulatrous matrices. Data/Spock/Tuvok/T'Pol then activate the resonance field emitter deuterium navigator shield device which transmutes subatomic hyper tachyons into protonic transphasic thingamagic something. Picard/Kirk/Janeway/Archer says "Earl Grey/Lucy in the sky with Diamonds/Katharine Hepburn/Armor at 50%"!

3.Bullshit bullshit QUANTUM! bullshit Death Star explodes bullshit

4.Federation win!

Don't think that'll work? Then you haven't watched enough Star Trek.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
fallendragon
Youngling

Post by fallendragon »

I said possible, I did not say probable. Star Trek has hit a 2 meter target at range (once at least), and IF the phase cloak works it bypasses a lot of Star Treks short range problems. Even if everything lines up and the turbolasers are offline for some reason, these have major problems, but with enough luck they might just work, thus POSSIBLE.
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Couldn't they just use small warp jumps to evade it then, assuming it actually has superior manueverability with conventional engines (I don't remember how the two settings stack up in terms of spacecraft manueverability)?
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Junghalli wrote:
Couldn't they just use small warp jumps to evade it then, assuming it actually has superior manueverability with conventional engines (I don't remember how the two settings stack up in terms of spacecraft manueverability)?
The Acclamator according to the ICS has a 3500G acceleration, I've heard someone say the Trek Manuals have been canonized again and if so that pegs the Galaxy-class at 1000G.

Though Warp jumping to avoid it seems reasonable enough to us, it doesn't seem to happen that often in Trek.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Than again, nether do star stations the size of small moons that fire death rays capable of blowing planets into bite size chunks.
But somehow I sincerely doubt that the DS would ever fire the super laser in a fleet on fleet engagement. There is simply no reason to do so. Turbolasers are just fine and they don't need to recharge or waste a huge amount of energy.

And to avoid all those guns, the trek ships might as well not exit warp in the first place when you see how many jumps they will make.

Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

Baffalo wrote:
A number of different ways, if we choose to pull a Berman and pull reasons out of our ass.

Q might provide the answer, though I doubt he'd tell them directly. Remember, Q wants to challenge humanity and make them grow, so he might make them work to achieve the destruction of the DSI. That's the easiest way.

A second would be a rebellious element, either defecting Imperial troops or already existing Rebel soldiers, who provide the information hoping to get Starfleet to send ships that would, at best, pose a distraction while the Rebels drop the bomb.

And finally, Starfleet uses technobabble to get a probe close enough to detect the massive infared signature and decides that the best way would be to fly in and fire enough torpedoes that only through the magic of statistics and bullshit that one of the torpedoes gets through and hits the core.
Well, if we're going to throw reason out of our ass, why not just accept the standard Trektard argument that Trek shuttles can shrug off Death Star superlaser blasts, and then have them beam a photon torpedo into the main reactor (ignoring shields, armor, and other things that block transport)?
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

SancheztheWhaler wrote:Well, if we're going to throw reason out of our ass, why not just accept the standard Trektard argument that Trek shuttles can shrug off Death Star superlaser blasts, and then have them beam a photon torpedo into the main reactor (ignoring shields, armor, and other things that block transport)?
I didn't say we were throwing reason out the window like a doll that's supposed to be filled with water but instead with red jello and thrown out to hit a passing car's windshield *screeech crash* I said we were going to pull them out our ass like butt floss. There's a subtle difference, as one is legal but creepy, and the other will get you 3 to 5 years.