Emergency Backup FTL

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Re: Emergency Backup FTL

Post by Ghost Rider »

Starglider wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:(indeed, one must wonder why the backup hyperdrive should be inferior in any way to the regular one if the damned things are so small).
Cost. Hyperdrives seem to be really expensive.
Can't be that much is backwater areas have them for sale. This does relate though back to one thing Mike brought up when we had a hyperdrive discussion. Maybe it is not the hyperdrive that is expensive but that fuel is not as inexpensive as everyone figures. Thus just having a spare fueled up and ready is not something anyone can do.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

How about reliability? It does seem logical that a low-tech device (relatively speaking, of course) can be built more sturdy and is less prone to breakdowns than a high-tech one. After all, we regulary observe this in real life.

Furthermore, it might well be that the backup is designed to be slower delibaratley, to put less strain on a damaged ship - you don't want to drive with 100kp/h if your tire is broken.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Thoughts (not necessarily very well developed ones) on the expensive hyperdrive fuel issue.
Han was not at any point in ESB worried he might not have the FUEL to go places, it was just that the blasted hyperdrive was broken. When they were stuck in that giant space slug he DIDN'T try to reroute fuel to the backup hyperdrive, he worried about fixing the main one. So if we assume the Falcon HAS a backup hyperdrive that means that either 1) transferring fuel between the two requires retooling of the ship's machinery beyond the capabilities of Han and consorts (which, while definitely possible, seems rather odd-if anything you'd expect the backup to be quite deliberately designed to tap in the main stardrive's fuel supply), 2) the backup hyperdrive uses a different kind of fuel altogether (um-no, and EITHER way what's the POINT of having a backup hyperdrive if you DON'T keep it fueled?), or 3) fuel wasn't the problem to begin with.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'