Thrawn Trilogy vs Star Trek

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Oh, wait, we're talking about different WARS cloaks. My bad.
So do we assume general Wars but with TTT limits on numbers firepower etc or nothing NOT explicitly mentioned in TTT gets thrown?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Batman wrote:Oh, wait, we're talking about different WARS cloaks. My bad.
So do we assume general Wars but with TTT limits on numbers firepower etc or nothing NOT explicitly mentioned in TTT gets thrown?
*make that 'gets in'? My bad, again.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Batman wrote:Oh, wait, we're talking about different WARS cloaks. My bad.
The latter; the Star Wars universe, except for the Thrawn trilogy, has for all purposes ceased to exist as far as this thread is concerned.
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Thrawn Trilogy vs Star Trek

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I kind of recall a scene in Dark Force Rising where it takes some days to go less than a thousand light years (I'm sorry I don't recall the exact numbers). Wouldn't this lower cannon hyperdrive speeds? Does anyone else know what passage I'm talking about? I think its while Jade is being taken to Thrawn on a Victory SD.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I kind of recall a scene in Dark Force Rising where it takes some days to go less than a thousand light years (I'm sorry I don't recall the exact numbers). Wouldn't this lower cannon hyperdrive speeds? Does anyone else know what passage I'm talking about? I think its while Jade is being taken to Thrawn on a Victory SD.
The quote looked like this:
...from the labored sound of the engines, [Mara Jade] could guess they were pushing uncomfortably far past a Victory Star Destroyer's normal flank speed of Point Four Five. Possibly even as high as Point Five, which would mean they were covering a hundred twenty-seven light-years per hour.
So it's still much faster than Federation warp drives, but significantly slower than traditional upper limits of Imperial technology.

I'd also like to make the following points:

1) 200 Dreadnoughts was seen as a force that would tip the balance of power in the galaxy, and were given the equivalence of about 4-5 Dreadnoughts to face down an ISD.

2) The Nkllon piece on Mike's shields page is handwaving which he himself admits (by suggesting that the star had properties that aren't understood) that makes sense in the context of other shield examples from canon and quasi-canon sources, but if it is our only reference point it must be taken more seriously. I'm not equipped to do the upper/lower limit calculations here, but I want to point out that in the context of Zhan's work only, it suggests that an ISD does take significant damage from the star and that a Dreadnought would not have been able to make the trip without critical damage (this was mentioned in Last Command when Thrawn suggested that Dreadnoughts be used for the raid on Nkllon).

3) The largest strike force that was quantified in Zhan's books was the attack force which attacked the Sluis Van shipyards in Heir to the Empire. IIRC it was composed of six ISDs, ~20 strike and carrack cruisers and 30 squadrons of Tie Fighters. This is an impressive force on the Federation scale, but quite small by canon standards. And it was large enough that Pelleon claimed it was an impressive task force, one worthy of the old days.

4) Han Solo and Lando didn't believe that the Empire had 400,000 troops to easily crew the Katana fleet and it would take them quite a while to train this many troops. In addition, 20,000 Sparti cloning units that could churn out troops within 15-20 days was seen as a significant imbalance in the Empire's favor.

5) Typical strike forces we saw in the Thrawn trilogy included 2-3 ISDs and supporting ships, with some of the attacks (like the first attack of the Mount Tantis campaign) including 5-12 Dreadnoughts supported by a single ISD. Couruscant without its sector fleet was guarded purely by two Golan III platforms and a variety of smaller vessels (such as Dreadnoughts), but no larger capital ships were mentioned.
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Ender wrote: However, IIRC there is an incident where one of Karrde's ships gets very close to/gets caught in the exhaust stream of an ISD's engines. That does provide quantification.
IIRC, we had no evidence of how much engine power the ship was under at the time (or whether it was under any power at all aside from just enough to create a wake).
As for the TL/earthquake bit, estimate the distance and magnitude, use seismologist graphs to determine strength at epicenter. It would provide a low end way to do it.
We also have some other difficult to quantify statements. Pelleon claimed the ability to wipe a town off the face of Wayland and single TL shots from a Carrack cruiser during the fire-through-planetary-shields trick destroyed a large air base in a single shot (although we aren't given details on the destruction.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I kind of recall a scene in Dark Force Rising where it takes some days to go less than a thousand light years (I'm sorry I don't recall the exact numbers). Wouldn't this lower cannon hyperdrive speeds? Does anyone else know what passage I'm talking about? I think its while Jade is being taken to Thrawn on a Victory SD.
Thank you for one shot statement that does nothing except revive a half dead topic in a near dead forum to build up post count. Next time you do this shit, I'm start deleting.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

He's not as nice as I am. Thread locked, three month old topic.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton