"Sullust To Endor" Now Online!

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Zablorg wrote:Also, wouldn't having the entire universe of star wars being one inch across mean that the planets and such are like... Quarks? And the inhabitants are like quarky quarks? Even if it was bigger so that stuff wasn't subatomic, wouldn't that mean that gravity wouldn't work? The mind boggles.
You're talking about some who is (or at least claims to be) a lawyer. He isn't looking for what makes sense. He's looking for loopholes to make his preferred conclusion work. When he was posting here as AVOGARDO, he eloquently demonstrated he didn't know the first thing about science.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

Darth Servo wrote:
Zablorg wrote:Also, wouldn't having the entire universe of star wars being one inch across mean that the planets and such are like... Quarks? And the inhabitants are like quarky quarks? Even if it was bigger so that stuff wasn't subatomic, wouldn't that mean that gravity wouldn't work? The mind boggles.
You're talking about some who is (or at least claims to be) a lawyer. He isn't looking for what makes sense. He's looking for loopholes to make his preferred conclusion work. When he was posting here as AVOGARDO, he eloquently demonstrated he didn't know the first thing about science.
What?

Zablorg was responding to something I posted, not something on SFJ.
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Three guesses as to the only place where the 'the Star Wars universe is only several inches across' theory IS NOT dismissed outright and has its supporters buried in rotten tomatoes.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
BountyHunterSAx
Padawan Learner

Trektards.

Post by BountyHunterSAx »

So when I first came to SDN - the main website, not the forum, I was shocked to find out that somebody actually thought Star Wars would win against Star Trek. It's not that I was irrational, stupid, or fanboyish; simply that I hadn't thought about it too deeply, and on a cursory analysis Q-power, the Borg, and heck, the power of a federation ship, replicator and transport technology, these all seemed to be in favor of the Federation.

But I'm not irrational nor am I stupid, and so I read the arguments, read the analysis, and - though I frequently got pissed off at the denigrating way in which Star Trek fans were addressed - I soon found myself convinced of the obvious conclusion that militarily, the federation would not be able to resist the Empire. I still couldn't stand the 'mockery of star-trek fans' which seemed to be synonymous with 'mockery of stupid people.'

But then I joined these boards, read the Parting shots (some of them) and the hate mail (some of it) and ...wow. I can finally understand why you guys call them trektards. And for the first time I find myself saying that I can't think of a word harsh enough to describe their stupidity.

It's easy to make a mistake, not realize that you're making a burden-of-proof fallacy, to blur that line between "possible explanation" and "proven fact", but to not admit it when someone calls you on it? To make so blatant a claim with ZERO evidence...that flies in the face of reason and fact? I mean, if it weren't for the ability to humiliate and mock these fucking retards, then why in the world would anyone continue talking to them? You'd lose sanity. It's only worthwhile if it's like animals at the zoo, you poke fun at them because in the end they're just stupid things there for your entertainment.

Except you can't really poke animals in the zoo, they didn't do anything to deserve cruel and unusual humiliation...unlike these guys.

There we go, had to get it out of my system and say that I've found a new respect for all of you and hwat you do...it's fun as hell.

With regards to 'Sullust to Endor', definitely the best refutation of Darkstar's position, but for some reason it wasn't as laugh-out-loud hilarious as "A brief history of star trek vs star wars". Re-watching them, I think it's just the presence of the narrator that can make explicit the implicit joke. That, and the continuous transition into and out of the time-stamp screen breaks up the action a bit too much methinks. I feel like it'd have been better to have the time shown overlaying the characters/scene, rather than transitioning in and out, as the frequent transitions were more jarring and distracting than anything else.

Sorry to criticize; I mean, the message was great, and the clip
was funny; I enjoyed it and watched it twice and all, this is just my would-be constructive criticism.

-AHMAD
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Re: Trektards.

Post by lord Martiya »

BountyHunterSAx wrote:I still couldn't stand the 'mockery of star-trek fans' which seemed to be synonymous with 'mockery of stupid people.'
Mike don't mock Star Trek fans (I suppose that he used to be one himself, and a quite number of us on the board is yet a fan), only the stupid ones. Like Darkstar, TJHairball and the my favourite, Stewart Davies.