"Sullust To Endor" Now Online!

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

wjs7744
Padawan Learner

Post by wjs7744 »

Aratech wrote:I calced that once, though I have since lost the calculations. It works out to be over 1,000,000,000 times lightspeed, provided my calculations were correct.
Interesting, given that the highest estimate of warp speed I can think of is around 20,000c. They honestly don't realise that they are fucked by five whole orders of magnitude?
Aratech
Jedi Knight

Post by Aratech »

wjs7744 wrote:
Aratech wrote:I calced that once, though I have since lost the calculations. It works out to be over 1,000,000,000 times lightspeed, provided my calculations were correct.
Interesting, given that the highest estimate of warp speed I can think of is around 20,000c. They honestly don't realise that they are fucked by five whole orders of magnitude?
You are talking about people who must have Trek win, no matter the cost.

These groups of people who believe that the United Federation of Planets can destroy the Culture without effort, that the Time War era Dalek Empire (read, were able to assemble 10,000,000 ships for a single battle and fought a empire of transcendent beings that made reality and time itself their plaything and technically win (originally believed that they forced the Time Lords into a MAD scenario. However, a number of Daleks survived... less than could be said of the Time Lords)) and will be crushed like a tin can.

That Worf will effortlessly take on a Space Marine and quote "kick his ass" (Space Marines being genetically/cybernetically enhanced mega-warriors with centuries of combat experience in a universe where human survival time on the battlefield is measured in minutes, and are know for their inhuman strength, incredible speed (able to, in at least one case, cross a room in the time that it took a man to pull a trigger on a gun) and rediculous durability (Marines have survived being shot dozens of times by weapons that are like Star Wars blasters on steroids, being stepped on by 140 foot tall kill-bots, and in at least one instance survived taking a bolter (17.5mm adamantium coated, hypersonic, explosive round) shot to the face and just gotten pissed off).

And that the Borg will effortlessly anniliate the Halo-verse Forerunners, who in addition to having ships that could induce brute force supernovas and mass scatter planets (though I'm not sure of their defensive properties) issue an armor skin believed to be some seven times more potent that something that enabled its wearer to survive a terminal velocity impact while being open to partial atmospheric re-entry and eats 50mm penetrator rounds with no discernible effects to its civilian non-combat population and whose ultimate feat was the creation of a series of combat ring worlds that wiped the entire Milky Way clean of life.

Do not, I repeat, do not expect rational arguments.

EDIT: Fixed for paragraphness. Vym.
"Impossible! Lasers can't even harm out deflector dish! Clearly these foes are masters of illusion!' 'But sir, my console says we-' 'MASTERS OF ILLUSION! - General Schatten
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

wjs7744 wrote:
Aratech's large block of text post is pretty accurate but like many have said, these aren't just the last bits but the irrational who believe they are THE LAST BASTIONS OF TRUTH!!!!

Now with the gross use of both language and capitalization looks asinine, it succiently states their mentality. They are not by any means ever going to concede because of this. What started at the beginning as moderates Trekkies and hardcore has now descended into only the rabid fanatic Trektards. At this point the best thing is mock and fuck with them because they are pretty much on the low end of the internet retards or not touch because it's akin to talking with a wall.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Aratech
Jedi Knight

Post by Aratech »

Hmmm, in hindsight, I probably should have busted that up into many smaller paragraphs. Sorry. :oops:
"Impossible! Lasers can't even harm out deflector dish! Clearly these foes are masters of illusion!' 'But sir, my console says we-' 'MASTERS OF ILLUSION! - General Schatten
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Paragraphs or no, that is a hilarious and accurate summary.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Paragraphs inserted.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Thanatos
Padawan Learner

Post by Thanatos »

They say that the Ewok traps couldnt have been there before the Rebels came, since the Empire has scouts in that area.
I love how they have this weird sliding scale of SW Competency. They're competent for the duration of a claim that relies on it.
Marine Corps Tankers Proud and True, Band of Brothers known by Few.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Well they're as usual wrong since the RotJ radio drama has Han and Leia noting the Ewoks have catapults before they've even gone to the bunker. If they have catapults, why wouldn't they have other equipment and traps? It's laughably naive to think that the Ewoks were hippies with no experience in warfare before the Rebels encited them to it, their tribes probably fought each other regularly (hence the knowledge to build catapults in the first place), and do I need to even bring up the Gorax? :lol:

Further there's obviously no contradiction between the Imperials being aware of the Ewoks' primitive war machines and deciding they were "harmless non-belligerents". The Ewoks were quite happy to leave the Imperials well enough alone until the Rebels riled them up.

(As already noted, the whole traps argument relies on the idiotic idea that the traps were set up mere metres from the bunker :roll:)
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Thanatos wrote:
They say that the Ewok traps couldnt have been there before the Rebels came, since the Empire has scouts in that area.
I love how they have this weird sliding scale of SW Competency. They're competent for the duration of a claim that relies on it.
No, they never think the SW side will act in a competant manner and this is no exception. The intelligent assumption is that there was an INCREASE in scouting after the rebels landed, not before. The bunker is perfectly safe before Han and company are on the ground. No scouting needed. You do more scouting when there is a known enemy presence in the area, not when there are a bunch of primitive non-combatants in the area.

Of course these tards (following Darktard) assume the traps were explicitly built just for the AT-STs. No where in canon that I'm aware of does it say anything of the sort. Of course the canon never says the Death Star is always "in the same time zone" as Darkstar and company assume either. Those are the three primary (and utterly ridiculous) assumptions they use to generate their insane time figures; that and the shadow angle which Darkstar actually admits isn't reliable.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Thanatos
Padawan Learner

Post by Thanatos »

Those are the three primary (and utterly ridiculous) assumptions they use to generate their insane time figures; that and the shadow angle which Darkstar actually admits isn't reliable.
I need to take some screencaps of movies with gigantic scene to scene continuity problems to piss on their parade. It won't accomplish anything because they won't give up this insane angle but it will be fun.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Darth Servo wrote:
Thanatos wrote:
No, they never think the SW side will act in a competant manner and this is no exception. The intelligent assumption is that there was an INCREASE in scouting after the rebels landed, not before. The bunker is perfectly safe before Han and company are on the ground. No scouting needed. You do more scouting when there is a known enemy presence in the area, not when there are a bunch of primitive non-combatants in the area.

Of course these tards (following Darktard) assume the traps were explicitly built just for the AT-STs. No where in canon that I'm aware of does it say anything of the sort. Of course the canon never says the Death Star is always "in the same time zone" as Darkstar and company assume either. Those are the three primary (and utterly ridiculous) assumptions they use to generate their insane time figures; that and the shadow angle which Darkstar actually admits isn't reliable.
The Problem with that is we see the areas that the Imperials are scouting and they are around the Front door of the Base. There is no need for the Imperials to scout around the back door which the Rebels haven't been told about and isn't on the map the Emperor LEAKED to the rebels. Also the rebels were suppose to walk right into a trap so keeping things low key is important. The traps being there months or longer, which it is implied that they are as some have growth on them, means that if they were noticed the Imperials did not find them a threat. The Ewoks were seen by them as an annoyance nothing more. Many of the traps, Speeder Bike ones in particular, only have a lead time needed of minutes to set up. Tie vines between trees or onto trees, instant trap. Others require that they be in place many days in advance in order for forest growth to obscure them, such as the smacking trees and the log dropper.

We see in the movie the Ewoks attack cause confusion then immediately head back into the forest. Their attack was long enough for the Rebels captures to escape and run into the forest with them. The Ewoks then proceeded to head off into the forest leading the Imperials towards the traps. We are never shown the distance that the AT-ST's had to travel to reach the traps at all. It easily could have been MILES away from the bunker before they came to them in the first place.

Using the traps as evidence of long time passing is a red herring.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Thanatos wrote:
Those are the three primary (and utterly ridiculous) assumptions they use to generate their insane time figures; that and the shadow angle which Darkstar actually admits isn't reliable.
I need to take some screencaps of movies with gigantic scene to scene continuity problems to piss on their parade. It won't accomplish anything because they won't give up this insane angle but it will be fun.
It doesn't work. They're a lot like Creationists; throw their shit back in their face and they ignore it. Check out one of my posts to AVOCADO:
Cock_Knocker wrote:
Who is like God arbour wrote:Your only argument in your whole video seems to be, that it would be boring (or unfitting), if the movie would have shown scenes as you have created them.
It's not surprising that you missed the entire point of the video, based on your obvious bias, and your myopic view in general. The point of the video is to highlight the utter absurdity of Robert's hilarious webpage on the subject. The video follows his timeline exactly, BTW.
Who is like God arbour wrote:Why could it be impossible, that the Emporer has decided (off screen), to let Luke be put in a cell until shortly before the Alliance arrives?
Show me any canon or official proof anywhere that Luke was not meant to stand before the Emperor until the fleet arrived. Not self-serving, fanon, cargo-cult silliness.
Why could it be impossible, that the task force on Endor has needed much more time (off screen) than a few minutes to find the shield control room without being detected by the enemy?
You're seriously subscribing to the notion it took 12 HOURS for Han and co. to get to the control room from the bunker entrance, that it would take 12 HOURS for the Imperials seen running in to the bunker to 12 MORE HOURS to reach the same control room to arrest Han and co., and Han set the charges and ran at full tilt for 12 MORE HOURS outside the bunker before the control room blew? If so, the question of your employment in anything higher than baggage boy at a supermarket seriously comes in to question. (I know Robert snuck in "different Imperials" that arrested them, without any proof whatsoever, which makes it even more hilarious.)
Why could it be impossible, that Leia, as she has said any moments and not, as you have falsified, any minutes, wasn't sure about the exact time, the Alliance will arrive?
I love how you try to invent a gigantic conspiracy issue with moment/minute. As the video clearly states, The strike team, (according to Robert's timeline) the Rebels would have blown the generator room FOUR FULL DAYS before the Rebel fleet arrived. I'm not familiar with the nuances of Germanic timekeeping, but does the word "moment" mean "days" in Germany? Let's use that in a sentence from a receptionist in an office: "Yes sir, I'll be with you in a moment." Now, does the customer stand there for four days, or be taken to a cell to wait out the four days?
Why could it be impossible, that, as it happens often in movies, the shown scenes aren't played back in the order they have happened?
That happened in TESB, and its quite obvious when it does. What scene are you referring to in ROTJ? (This should be good.) If you are referring to some scenes being shot weeks apart from another, you've just admitted that Robert's Endor timeline is ridiculous, especially when referring to shadows from one scene to the other.
It's a pity that you have not countered important arguments, which confirm the notion, that more time than a few minutes have passed.
Again, the entire point of the video wizzed by your head. The video itself was a counter to the entire ridiculous concept.
I think, the most important argument is, that it should be impossible for the Ewoks to build their traps as shown in the movie and described in the novel in a few hours without alerting the enemy.
As shown with the net trap, Ewoks already have traps laying around to deal with very large predators. The fact that they lured the stormtroopers to them also bears this out.
Maybe you should have shown, how the Ewoks could have done it.
Maybe the webpage the video was based on should have shown any proof whatsoever that the Ewoks actually did took four days to construct huge traps, undetected, around an area where Rebel activity has just been discovered.
And maybe you should have explained the changing shadows between the time, the Alliance Task Force enters the tunnel and the time, the Imperials are entering the tunnel.
What about your lament above where you plead for understanding on when scenes are shot? The entire "shadows" thing is ridiculous when you consider that those scenes weren't shot on the same day. Let's look at Star Trek for instance. When Scotty's pointy-nosed nephew leaves a blood-stain on Kirk's uniform, why does it suddenly change size and shape? Why when Kirk is next seen on the bridge, we see the stain not only changed shape, but moved UP from where it was previously?

Should I write a ridiculous webpage about Peter Preston's magical blood stain? Should we speculate that from the time we see him grab Kirk's uniform, Kirk went to his quarters, changed his tunic, then ran back to Sickbay to stand near Scotty just as some other dying crewmember left yet another stain on Kirk's new uniform?

Or how about this oddity in ST:TMP:

Spock smashes his console in one scene:

Yet, in the very next scene the console is undamaged:

Did Scotty run in there between scenes and fix the console?
No, these continuity issues are diffcult if not impossible to control, like outdoor settings. How about things you CAN control, such as FX shots:

Look at that! In one scene, Jupiter's moons aren't bathed in the sun's glow. Yet in another, they are! I wonder if I should write a webpage discussing how extremely long it too for the Enterprise to pass Jupiter?
These arguments are known to you. They won't vanish only because you ignore them. To be honest, your video is preposterous and doesn't show much sharpness.
It must be so comforting to hide behind nanny-speak. That's what real men do, after all.
Who is like God arbour wrote:And even if the video's purpose were only comedy, does that mean, that its stupidity schouldn't be brought up in a critique? If you see a cabaret or a satire, don't you expect, although it is funny, a minimum of profoundness? Is not the truth in a comedy show what it makes it so funny?
The webpages the video is based on automatically make it comedy.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Vympel wrote:Because they don't accept EU evidence as to distances between planets, so they pretend it means nothing if Palpatine got to Mustafar in a matter of what is literally less than an hour.
You don't need the EU to prove they're full of shit. Grievous says he's taking the leaders of the Separatists to the Outer Rim : Mustafar. In TPM, Qui-Gon Jinn refers to Coruscant as being the central system of the Galactic Republic.

Anakin is winning the duel with Obi-Wan when Palpatine orders his men to get his ship ready for takeoff. A matter of at most an hour or so later, Palpatine finds Anakin's charred body. So according to Darktard, the duel took several days -weeks maybe!- between Palpatine calling for his ship, and Anakin's dismemberment and burning.

:lol:
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

That'll likely be the part where they claim the Star Wars galaxy is really tiny.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Batman wrote:That'll likely be the part where they claim the Star Wars galaxy is really tiny.
Indeed, and other absurd arguments like "we don't know where Coruscant is in relation to the Outer Rim, it might be only a few light years away".

Things like that.

EDIT: and that's a classic smack down Wayne :)
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Vympel wrote:
Batman wrote:That'll likely be the part where they claim the Star Wars galaxy is really tiny.
Indeed, and other absurd arguments like "we don't know where Coruscant is in relation to the Outer Rim, it might be only a few light years away".

Things like that.

EDIT: and that's a classic smack down Wayne :)
Reminds me of this idiot I argued with that said that since the Millenium Falcon apparently flew on sublight to Bespin that all the stars in the SW galaxy must be really close together.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
wjs7744
Padawan Learner

Post by wjs7744 »

Peptuck wrote:Reminds me of this idiot I argued with that said that since the Millenium Falcon apparently flew on sublight to Bespin that all the stars in the SW galaxy must be really close together.
That's one of the really dumb ones. For all we know, the Empire has got propulsion comparable to warp drive, they just hardly ever use it because it's so slow.
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

Peptuck wrote:
Reminds me of this idiot I argued with that said that since the Millenium Falcon apparently flew on sublight to Bespin that all the stars in the SW galaxy must be really close together.
I once heard that the SW galaxy is very tiny.

No, not like smaller than our galaxy by a few light years.

But TINY.

As in "who knows the SW galaxy could really be a few inches across, and everyone just LOOKS big from their perspective."
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
Thanatos
Padawan Learner

Post by Thanatos »

You think that's bad? I remember someone from years ago who tried to argue that the whole movie franchise took place in one star system
wjs7744
Padawan Learner

Post by wjs7744 »

Darth Ruinus wrote:I once heard that the SW galaxy is very tiny.

But TINY.

As in "who knows the SW galaxy could really be a few inches across, and everyone just LOOKS big from their perspective."
That's just really stupid. Not stupid as in "some people will say anything to discredit Star Wars", but stupid as in "that isn't possible in our universe and doesn't even make any sense"
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Thanatos wrote:
You think that's bad? I remember someone from years ago who tried to argue that the whole movie franchise took place in one star system
How the fuck can someone be that ignorant? They mention transit back and forth between different systems constantly.

Ah, well, I've actually seen worse. One moron on Youtube said that Star Wars ships didn't have deflector shields, and my response was to give him the exact second in the very video he was commenting to that an ISD captain orders shields to be raised.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Peptuck wrote:Ah, well, I've actually seen worse. One moron on Youtube said that Star Wars ships didn't have deflector shields, and my response was to give him the exact second in the very video he was commenting to that an ISD captain orders shields to be raised.
You need to understand the mind (what little there is) of the fanboy. If it isn't just like their favorite series, it doesn't exist at all.

In the case of rabid trektards, if shield isn't a big bubble around the ship, there isn't any shield. IIRC, Mike actually has an entry on his hate-mail page who makes the same claim--no shields in Star Wars.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

Darth Ruinus wrote: I once heard that the SW galaxy is very tiny.

But TINY.

What? What???
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Who is like God arbour wrote:
Why could it be impossible, that Leia, as she has said any moments and not, as you have falsified, any minutes, wasn't sure about the exact time, the Alliance will arrive?
Why can't, this motherfucker, use commas, properly? Sonovabitch, it gives my eyes PAIN.
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

Also, wouldn't having the entire universe of star wars being one inch across mean that the planets and such are like... Quarks? And the inhabitants are like quarky quarks? Even if it was bigger so that stuff wasn't subatomic, wouldn't that mean that gravity wouldn't work? The mind boggles.
Jupiter Oak Evolution!