Trek's family size and population growth

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Trek's family size and population growth

Post by Adam Reynolds »

A random observation I just noticed is that nearly every family we see only has a single child. I also can't think of many characters who mention siblings. Picard is the only exception that I can think of.

So this leads to a question. Is the population of the Federation in decline?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Trek's family size and population growth

Post by FaxModem1 »

Adam Reynolds wrote: 2020-02-25 04:51am A random observation I just noticed is that nearly every family we see only has a single child. I also can't think of many characters who mention siblings. Picard is the only exception that I can think of.

So this leads to a question. Is the population of the Federation in decline?
The O'Brien's had two kids, Molly and Yoshi. Ben was expecting a second child at the end of DS9.

Sisko has at least one sister, whom he mentions looking forward to visiting. Kirk has a nephew. Jadzia had a sister who gave her a set of really ugly glasses that she gave to Quark, and Ezri had two brothers. Janeway had a sister, as did Chakotay. Worf had an adopted brother.

I'd say that siblings were a tad more common than than you recall.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The episode where we meet Dr. Soong, had a set of brothers in it as a plot point.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

And honestly our sample size isn't really repesentive as 99% of the characters we see from the federation in any detail are "Career Starfleet" in the series before Picard and there's too few episodes shown of Picard for it say anything about the family sizes in the Federation.

I'd say Starfleet officers are less likely to have huge families
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Encouraging Starfleet officers to bring and have families was the point of the Galaxy class Design.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Solauren wrote: 2020-02-26 07:28pm Encouraging Starfleet officers to bring and have families was the point of the Galaxy class Design.
... Which, notably, seems to be an experiment that was not repeated-- we don't see any more super huge starships until like the Enterprise-J and well that's a far-future ship. I haven't seen Picard, so I can't say if they have anything in that size range in that period.

Galaxies are certainly used in the Dominion War, but they required improvement to be more efficient in combat, and the War itself was instrumental in shaping Starfleet ship design doctrine in rather the opposite direction.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.