Some STO related questions

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Some STO related questions

Post by Lord Revan »

First of I'm not sure if this forum or fanfic is the better one for this, if a mod thinks this is a wrong forum feel free to change it to the proper one.

But now to the real topic. I've been thinking of making a Foundry story built around the first contact with the species my Federation engineering character is from and the Fedration. Now I'm having a bit of an issue desiding when to step that mission. For bit of a backstory that might help said species is has been a federation member well before the dominion war and during the 2150s was briefly occupied by the Romulan Star Empire (so they know what romulans look like).

So my problem is when to set this mission so that it won't break established canon too much (so before "Balance of Terror" would probably be out), well mainly during what era I should set it in (TOS, Movie or betwen the TOS movies and TNG)?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Some STO related questions

Post by Elheru Aran »

If you want a pretty open time period, you could do the interim between TOS and TOS movies. That's, what, a 10-year time period? 15, 20?

Tech will still be pretty much TOS level, so you can use TOS stuff without too much trouble there. Setting it between TOS and TNG would be awkward as I'm not sure there are a whole lot of ships from that period available apart from the Ambassador.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Elheru Aran wrote:If you want a pretty open time period, you could do the interim between TOS and TOS movies. That's, what, a 10-year time period? 15, 20?

Tech will still be pretty much TOS level, so you can use TOS stuff without too much trouble there. Setting it between TOS and TNG would be awkward as I'm not sure there are a whole lot of ships from that period available apart from the Ambassador.
There's the Excelsior, the Miranda and the Constellation classes that were avaible during that era (since the Excelsior and Mirandas were at use during TNG and we know that the Stargazer incident was during that era too), the main problem would be the ground tech as you essentially got TOS and 25th century starfleets as options for NPC (though you can make special costumes to depict the movie era (you even the ST1 pyjamas avaible if you want to))
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Lord Revan wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:If you want a pretty open time period, you could do the interim between TOS and TOS movies. That's, what, a 10-year time period? 15, 20?

There's the Excelsior, the Miranda and the Constellation classes that were avaible during that era (since the Excelsior and Mirandas were at use during TNG and we know that the Stargazer incident was during that era too), the main problem would be the ground tech as you essentially got TOS and 25th century starfleets as options for NPC (though you can make special costumes to depict the movie era (you even the ST1 pyjamas avaible if you want to))
Wait a bit for Agents of Yesterday to launch and use all the new 23rd century ships they're adding? That works pretty well for a TOS-era setting.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Foundry will probably be down for some time after AoY launches so I can focus on the "alien" side of things before that without making any major call on the timeline, which sounds nice. Though it might take a bit for those new ships to come avaible in the foundry (as they don't automatically get added).
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Lord Revan wrote:Foundry will probably be down for some time after AoY launches so I can focus on the "alien" side of things before that without making any major call on the timeline, which sounds nice. Though it might take a bit for those new ships to come avaible in the foundry (as they don't automatically get added).
They've been pretty good at it, though. I'd have to check Tribble/Foundry to see if they're on there yet. Probably not.

In any event, if you want it set in TOS you'll have to wait on that otherwise your only option for ships is the Connie. If you set it between TOS and TMP I don't know if Mirandas were around for that? And you have to use custom costumes anyway (probably; I don't think we know when the switch came about). Obviously between TWOK -> TNG is the best bet for ship variety, but again you'll have to dress up your NPCs.

Which probably for the best because let's face it, the TWOK uniforms are awesome. ;)
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

They're not neither are Na'khul as a NPC group (so you don't have access to their special abilities), though I checked and only Klingons are avaible as NPC groups for TOS era (at the moment), either way I got time AoY comes next week and there's probably gonna be a short time after launch that Foundry is unavaible, it has been so pretty much after each major patch so far.

I won't argue about the coolness of the ST2 uniforms as those were great (the ST1 one uniforms not so much).
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

RogueIce wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:Foundry will probably be down for some time after AoY launches so I can focus on the "alien" side of things before that without making any major call on the timeline, which sounds nice. Though it might take a bit for those new ships to come avaible in the foundry (as they don't automatically get added).
They've been pretty good at it, though. I'd have to check Tribble/Foundry to see if they're on there yet. Probably not.

In any event, if you want it set in TOS you'll have to wait on that otherwise your only option for ships is the Connie. If you set it between TOS and TMP I don't know if Mirandas were around for that? And you have to use custom costumes anyway (probably; I don't think we know when the switch came about). Obviously between TWOK -> TNG is the best bet for ship variety, but again you'll have to dress up your NPCs.

Which probably for the best because let's face it, the TWOK uniforms are awesome. ;)
The TWOK uniforms lasted at least until Picard was a cadet, so I think it's probably safe to use them.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

NecronLord wrote:
RogueIce wrote:

The TWOK uniforms lasted at least until Picard was a cadet, so I think it's probably safe to use them.
Indeed, at least until 2342.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Tbh I'm thinking setting the story in the late 2260s or early 2270s (after "balance of terror" but before TMP). After "Balance of Terror" so that what romulans look like won't be mystery and therefore main aliens involved won't seem like pricks (since we know for a fact the federation collectively didn't know what romulans looked like before the incident with the Bird of Prey, though presumbly Vulcans did know).

and before TMP for 2 reasons 1) I don't like the TMP uniforms and 2) and more importantly it gives more time for the main aliens to have been known by the UFP collectively.