questions about andorians

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

questions about andorians

Post by Lord Revan »

first of do andorians mature the same rate (roughly) as humans meaning an andorian in his/her early 20s would an adult. Also has it ever been said what the antenna do besides implying that they help with balance.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Re: questions about andorians

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Lord Revan wrote:first of do andorians mature the same rate (roughly) as humans meaning an andorian in his/her early 20s would an adult. Also has it ever been said what the antenna do besides implying that they help with balance.
1) no idea. Never been said. We've only seen a couple of kids. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary with them with regard to aging.

2) They seem to pick up vibrations and can "hear". They also seem to display emotional states, much like a dog's ear would. They react and extend backwards for anger, up for surprise, forward for sadness etc.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

IIRC Andorians are cave-dwellers. The antenna might be for directional hearing purposes in some form of rudimentary echolocation?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

the tips seems to form an "ear" (it's easier to see in ENT or STO but it's there in TOS too) so that's possible.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Elheru Aran wrote:IIRC Andorians are cave-dwellers. The antenna might be for directional hearing purposes in some form of rudimentary echolocation?
Echo location would be conjecture. But certainly we've seen (as mentioned) on Enterprise they do seem to move in the direction of sound. E.g. when someone is talking off camera or behind (say) Shran, his antenna will swivel to the direction the sound is coming from.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

My big question is how did they evolve on such a cold planet? I mean, don't get me wrong, we know such life exists here on Earth. But really, the only reason we have life that thrives at all in such inhospitable regions is because of the summers that allow plant life to grow, and thus life to take hold. Sure you see creatures that exist year round in the Antarctic, but they're still highly dependent on warmer weather from somewhere. For the Andorians to exist, would it be safe to assume they evolved and then had to deal with a snowball planet? Or did they evolve completely in the cold and simply formed what we see?
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Baffalo wrote:My big question is how did they evolve on such a cold planet? I mean, don't get me wrong, we know such life exists here on Earth. But really, the only reason we have life that thrives at all in such inhospitable regions is because of the summers that allow plant life to grow, and thus life to take hold. Sure you see creatures that exist year round in the Antarctic, but they're still highly dependent on warmer weather from somewhere. For the Andorians to exist, would it be safe to assume they evolved and then had to deal with a snowball planet? Or did they evolve completely in the cold and simply formed what we see?
I dunno if anything is ever officially stated, but I assume that there's places where there's warmer and part of Andorian biology had evolved for the travel between those places after all andorians don't seem to mind being at about 20 or so degrees celcius which is ideal for humans.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Or the Andorians may have evolved into something like their current 'Andorianoid' form at a time when the planet was noticeably warmer, and then just survived as the place went into a deep Ice Age.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov