the federation and space

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

blazze9
Redshirt

the federation and space

Post by blazze9 »

do you think the federation would know every single planet or pre warp civilizations living with in its 8000 light years border ?
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: the federation and space

Post by Borgholio »

I doubt it. They might claim the space and have outposts around, but the interior could be only lightly explored or just mapped from a distance. For instance, do we know of every single minor tribe of humans living deep in the jungle? We're still discovering lost tribes who never even knew of the outside world before. Given how thinly Starfleet is said to be spread on several occasions, there might be entire star clusters that have never been visited by a manned starship.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Mind you, they probably have shared data from the Vulcans, Andorians, and other warp-capable civilizations within the Federation. It's not just Starfleet out there. I would fully expect each warp-capable member planet to have at the very least mapped its surroundings for a certain number of light-years, and be aware of what's inside that area. Would they necessarily know details? No, but they would probably be able to indicate 'oh yeah, star x-2 in sector Beta, that's got a pre-warp civilization from what our explorator satellites pick up on the radio...' or whatever.

There are definitely unexplored sectors, but as they encounter warp-capable civilizations and bring them into the Federation, it would make sense to share data and stellar geographic information. It might almost be a condition for joining-- 'tell us everything you know about your star system and the proximate systems in your sector and we'll throw in the 8-slice toaster and a few juicy trading contracts'.

I suppose the point I'm making is that it's not just Earth and Starfleet; all the member civilizations of the Federation are supposed to be warp-capable, and that increases the numbers of possible exploratory craft exponentially. Unless there's something ridiculous out there like nobody builds new warp ships after they join the Fed and just rely upon Starfleet to do everything, which sadly wouldn't surprise me all that much...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Elheru Aran wrote: star x-2 in sector Beta, that's got a pre-warp civilization from what our explorator satellites pick up on the radio...' or whatever.
"Pre-warp" is an extremely broad category, radio was comparatively a recent invention in the context to the total length of human civilization.

Limiting your determinate for the presence of a civilization to intercepting a commercial for Lucky Strike cigarettes, means you're going to overlook hundreds of civilizations, from Babylonia to the British Empire.
There are definitely unexplored sectors, but as they encounter warp-capable civilizations and bring them into the Federation, it would make sense to share data and stellar geographic information. It might almost be a condition for joining-- 'tell us everything you know about your star system and the proximate systems in your sector and we'll throw in the 8-slice toaster and a few juicy trading contracts'.
Nope, all you need is Warp drive. In 'Star Trek: Insurrection' the Enterprise was inducting the newest member to the Federation (whom only achieved warp the year prior) and information wasn't a condition...especially since nobody new the aliens were vegetarian (until they ate the floral arrangements.)
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

FedRebel wrote:Nope, all you need is Warp drive. In 'Star Trek: Insurrection' the Enterprise was inducting the newest member to the Federation (whom only achieved warp the year prior) and information wasn't a condition...especially since nobody new the aliens were vegetarian (until they ate the floral arrangements.)
This was during wartime.
With the losses against the latest Borg incursion (First Contact), the war with the Klingons (DS9 Season 5) and the then currently waged war against the Dominion they might have waived some criteria of the induction / first contact requirements.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Probably. The Federation is made up of more than just Star Fleet. There are what? 20 or 30 member civilizations zipping around finding shit.

I mean, it seems like a given, given the Enterprise's five year mission.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

tezunegari wrote:
FedRebel wrote:Nope, all you need is Warp drive. In 'Star Trek: Insurrection' the Enterprise was inducting the newest member to the Federation (whom only achieved warp the year prior) and information wasn't a condition...especially since nobody new the aliens were vegetarian (until they ate the floral arrangements.)
This was during wartime.
With the losses against the latest Borg incursion (First Contact), the war with the Klingons (DS9 Season 5) and the then currently waged war against the Dominion they might have waived some criteria of the induction / first contact requirements.
They said as much in the film. Something like "I'm amazed the Council made them a member so quickly." "In view of our losses to the Borg and the Dominion, the Council feels we need all the help we can get."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I suspect the Federation has identified all the warp-capable civilizations of interstellar scope within that sphere of influence, or at least all the ones within a few months' travel of their own core worlds. Prewarp civilizations, especially primitive pre-industrial ones, might well escape notice.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov