EPIC DEATH BATTLE! Crystalline Entity vs Pitcher Plant vs...

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Epic Death Battle! To the victor goes a galaxy full of helpless starships and their crew!

Doomsday Machine- TOS "The Doomsday Machine"
93%
Dikironium Cloud Creature - TOS "Obsession"
No votes
Cosmic Cloud - TAS "One of Our Planets is Missing"
No votes
Crystalline Entity - TNG multiple episodes
No votes
"Junior" - TNG "Galaxy's Child"
No votes
Nucleogenic Cloud Being - VOY "The Cloud"
No votes
Telepathic Pitcher Plant - VOY "Bliss"
7%

Total votes: 14

Tribble
Sith Devotee

EPIC DEATH BATTLE! Crystalline Entity vs Pitcher Plant vs...

Post by Tribble »

Upon watching Chuck's review of Voyager's "Bliss" Q decides to invite a few of Star Trek's various space borne entities to a dinner party. The only problem is, the only thing available to eat is each other! Who will end up champion? Who will end up on a dinner plate? To the winner goes a Galaxy full of delicious, helpless starships (and their crew)!

Note that Q limited the list to things that have been shown to use starships/their crew as a fuel source, excluding things like "Tin Man."

Also, "Epic Death Battle" rules apply. In a nutshell, assume the powers would work on each other, assume that each will go all out in a fight, and assume that each only has knowledge that they ought to have (in this case, it's doubtful that any of them would be aware of each other prior to the fight).

Bon Appétit!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: EPIC DEATH BATTLE! Crystalline Entity vs Pitcher Plant v

Post by Tribble »

My personal choice is the Telepathic Pitcher Plant. While not the physically strongest of the lot, it's one manipulative bastard. It telepathic projections might very well distract the opponents long enough to enable it to go in for the kill.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Doomsay Machine. Antimatter-throwing main gun that busts planets (one clear shot, any of the others is gone), it's an autonomous robot so no actual mind for psi powers to work on (pitcher plant is useless), and it took a capital-class warp core going off in its "stomach" (multi-megaton, minimum, matter/antimatter explosion) to bring the damn thing down.
Last edited by StarSword on 2014-03-22 08:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Yeah gotta go with the doomsday machine.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Um-it was an impulse engine overload and the stated yield was a measly 90 MT if memory serves.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Question; was the Pitcher Plant's powers pure telepathy? Because I thought it was able to manipulate the tech on board Voyager to some extent.

And if I remember correctly, it was the impulse engines that took out the Doomsday Machine. The anti-matter reactor on board the Constellation was completely destroyed beforehand. I think the impulse engines detonated with around 90-100 megatons according to the dialogue.

We don't know exactly how strong the anti-matter explosion was that released Voyager from the Pitcher Plant, but apparently all it did was make them taste bad.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Batman wrote:Um-it was an impulse engine overload and the stated yield was a measly 90 MT if memory serves.
Whatever. Still a multi-megaton blast going off inside the thing.

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

With no visible damage to the structure either. I'd like to see the pitcher plant trying to digest a multi-kilometer neutronium hull.

As for the false sensor readings, maybe, I'm not sure how that worked.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

The reason why the Doomsday Machine is a top contender is because of it's offensive power, and that it's exterior is invulnerable to TOS era weapons fire. It is also unlikely that the others would know of it's weakness. That's a hell of a weakness though - 90-100 megatons is what? The equivalent to a couple of TNG-era photon torpedoes? If we were to use the TNG tech manual which stated that each E-D torpedo had 1.5 kg antimatter in it, assuming a 1:1 ratio each torpedo would be ~64.4 megatons. Even the TOS shuttlecraft explosion was able to cause a noticeable power drop.

For comparison, the "Nucleogenic Cloud Being" was confirmed to survive a photon torpedo (albeit wounded), an antimatter explosion (of unknown yield) only caused the Pitcher Plant to get a bit of indigestion, and the TAS "Cosmic Cloud' was stated to be capable of surviving the entire payload of the Enterprise, which was inside it at the time.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

StarSword wrote:Doomsay Machine. Antimatter-throwing main gun that busts planets (one clear shot, any of the others is gone), it's an autonomous robot so no actual mind for psi powers to work on (pitcher plant is useless), and it took a capital-class warp core going off in its "stomach" (multi-megaton, minimum, matter/antimatter explosion) to bring the damn thing down.
Not...quite...

The beam carved up planets like a cutting torch or a laser. The crew of the Constellation were alive (and scared shitless) watching it happen from ground zero. And as pointed out already, it was an impulse engine explosion. The warp core had been shut down by the machine previously.

With that said, I'm not so sure the DD machine would be as strong as it seems. Sure the hull is indestructible and the main weapon is hideously powerful, but the thing is also a gas guzzler. It needs to constantly refuel. If one of the other entities that feeds on energy were to envelop it, what's to stop them from draining it dry?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

How could you forget the Giant Space Amoeba?
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Borgholio wrote:Not...quite...

The beam carved up planets like a cutting torch or a laser.
Still uses antiprotons for the job, though. But I think I conflated the TOS version with the STO version.

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I vaguely remember "The Doomsday Machine" episode but did the E-Nil fire into DM's maw? I mean if all it takes is almost a hundred MT blast to disable it, surely firing several photorps should do it.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

I believe that the Enterprise fired phasers on the hull of the Doomsday machine, but they never fired photon torpedoes down its throat.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Probably because ever time the Doomsday Machine was pointing it's maw at them it was firing at them as well.

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

It fired at them sometimes, but not all the time. For example when the Shuttlecraft and the Constellation were driven into its maw it never fired on them. Or if it did, they survived long enough to detonate inside it. I wonder what would have happened if the Constellation had been able to fire it's photon torpedoes while it was approaching? We don't know the yield of TOS torpedoes, but if a 90-100 megaton explosion was sufficient a full salvo might be able to do it.

IMO the Doomsday Machine is a classic, but for this kind of fight where it's facing other energy draining beings it might be at a disadvantage.

And I didn't include the Giant Amoeba as I couldn't remember if it was a threat due to the fact that it was multiplying, or because it was actively trying to hunt starships/planets.
Last edited by Tribble on 2014-03-25 09:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I suspect it didn't fire on the Constellation because it wasn't doing anything to be a threat, rather it was acting like more material to be consumed.

Given that the "force beam" screwed up the antimatter in the Constellation's warp drive I imagine it would have a similar effect on photon torpedoes.