Why was Picard given the Enterprise?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: Why was Picard given the Enterprise?

Post by Tribble »

True, but if the Stargazer had still been active when the E-D was launched, I doubt Picard would have been given a transfer. Hell, I'm not even sure if he would have wanted one. Judging from his 29+ year stint it looks as though that as far as Starfleet and Picard was concerned the Stargazer was going to stay under his command until it was either decommissioned or destroyed.

IMO the (serious) reason why Picard was given the E-D was because the Stargazer was destroyed, not in spite of it.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

it's possible but we got only speculations about that either way it's rather clear that Picard's actions during that command were a argument for to giving him the Enterprise not against it.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Prannon wrote:This is an unsupported proposition, but is there any evidence that he simply refused any promotion or transfer?
before the Enterprise? None that I know of.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Wasn't there some information that there was a little maneuvering to get Picard on the Enterprise because of the alien conspiracy in the early part of TNG? I think some friend of his wanted him there as a protection against whatever was going on.

I'm actually curious how things would have gone if the Stargazer hadn't been lost. Since we don't ever really see any Constellation class ships other than the Stargazer it couldn't have been too many more years until the Stargazer was decommissioned. Where does Picard end up in the scenario? Does he take another ship? Does he take a promotion? Does he retire from Starfleet? I think all of those have been suggested as options with him during TNG.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Tsyroc wrote:Wasn't there some information that there was a little maneuvering to get Picard on the Enterprise because of the alien conspiracy in the early part of TNG? I think some friend of his wanted him there as a protection against whatever was going on.
No. His friend, Admiral Quinn, actually wanted him to be commandant of the academy and offered him a promotion to admiral. Picard declined.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Tsyroc wrote: I'm actually curious how things would have gone if the Stargazer hadn't been lost. Since we don't ever really see any Constellation class ships other than the Stargazer
Star Trek VI, The Battle, The Wounded, Peak Performance and we've seen the USS Constellation, Hathaway, Victory and Stargazer.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Tribble wrote:I'm not an expert on Navy matters, but I'm under the impression that in the Navy the most capable leaders are generally not given an obsolete ship with backwater tasks for nearly 29 years before being considered for transfer or promotion.

Gotta start somewhere. Chester Nimitz spent a chunk of his middle-rank years being CHENG of a tanker.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

CHENG?!

could please explain that acronym for those of us who don't USN lingo by heart.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Chief Engineer I think.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Chief Engineer.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Ya, but was he chief engineer for over 29 years before being promoted?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage