Celebrating 20 Years of DS9

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

darth_timon
Padawan Learner

Re: Celebrating 20 Years of DS9

Post by darth_timon »

Alyeska wrote:
JME2 wrote:Nog's injury also brings up memories of RDM's IGN interview and the insane argument between Berman and Behr about how much of his leg Nog should lose.
Berman didn't like the Dominion War at all. At first he authorized a 2 episode war. Then allowed it to run for 4 episodes. The writers said "Sure, we can wrap up the war in 4 episodes" and then ran with it knowing Berman couldn't stop them by this point.

I think the original six episode arc in season 6 ending with the taking of DS9 was fleshed from the original restrictions. The way the structure came out, they could have easily ended the war with the victory at DS9. But by this point the writers knew they could keep the war going and explore all the themes they had wanted to.

And as a result we have had some of the most contraversial episodes in Trek. Not because they were stupid. But because they challenged peoples preconceptions about what Trek is.

Section 31 plots
Siege of AR-558
By the Pale Moonlight
Waltz
Its only a Paper Moon
Rocks and Shoals

Each episode challenged the perfect paradise view of the Federation. Pre Dominion War episodes involving the Maquis further drove these themes home. Even Homefront and Paradise Lost.

And Berman hated it all.
I remember reading somewhere that Behr had to fight tooth and nail to get the Nog amputation past Berman. Originally Behr wanted to blow both of Nog's legs off, then it was a case of negotiating how much of the leg to lose.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Which is why I agree with RDM that the whole thing was surreal, fucking insane -- and indicative of how detached from reality Berman was.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Well in TNG the Klingon Civil War lasted for all of a two-parter and was mostly off screen to boot, wasn't it?

I suppose for Berman "real war" just didn't belong in the 'utopian vision' of the TNG era.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Which reality? In or out of universe? In universe, yeah, war is hell, terrible things happen. Out of universe, they were doing a TV series, and Berman's reluctance to go along with the grimdark war is hell stuff does seem to be in accordance with Gene's apparent intentions for TNG Trek.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

You mean the Roddenberry Box where Stories Went To Die? Honestly there are times I feel Star Trek succeeded despite Gene Roddenberry, not because of him.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Batman wrote:Which reality? In or out of universe? In universe, yeah, war is hell, terrible things happen. Out of universe, they were doing a TV series, and Berman's reluctance to go along with the grimdark war is hell stuff does seem to be in accordance with Gene's apparent intentions for TNG Trek.
Fuck Gene Roddenberry. He was a drunken cunt.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Steve wrote:You mean the Roddenberry Box where Stories Went To Die? Honestly there are times I feel Star Trek succeeded despite Gene Roddenberry, not because of him.
Indeed. :D I did not in any way mean to imply I considered that a good idea, merely showing it up as one possible reason for Berman's reluctance to allow proper war stories.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

For me, I fell in love with DS9 during the episode Explorers. The combination of the (incredibly scientifically inaccurate, but nonetheless amazing-looking) lightship, and Julian and Miles singing "Jerusalem" while drunk just got me. In retrospect, taking the transporter-slider-pusher and fleshing him and his family out was one of DS9's triumphs. I liked (as did many others, I gather) that Miles and Julian felt like they were actually friends. During the time-skip forward bits of All Good Things, it felt like Data, Geordi, et al., were humoring an old colleague, not that they were friends like Julian and Miles were.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I got hooked during the episode where Kira trained Dukat and Damar how to fight the Klingons on that old cargo ship and they stole the BoP and then Dukat murdered the Klingongs they had transported onto the cargo ship. It was still Star Trek, but differen and not in a bad way.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I got hooked my the first episode I saw; Little Green Men. Because it was a fun little story. It was silly. It was funny. It was perfect. It's a good place to start when you're 12.

Straight after that, I saw the start of the Dominion War. I saw it all out of sequence, as the local video store was unreliable.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Duet was the episode which hooked me and it still is my favorite episode of DS9.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Thanas wrote:Duet was the episode which hooked me and it still is my favorite episode of DS9.
It's my second favorite after "In the Pale Moonlight".
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I think I really started liking the show a great deal with The Circle Trilogy.

Interesting politics and religion in a Trek show. A bit of a change from TNG at the time. Primarily the 3 episode arc.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Optimus Metallus
Redshirt

Post by Optimus Metallus »

Yeah, the Circle three-parter was fantastic. And I loved the character of Lee Nalis. Duet was amazing as well. Personally I thought DS9's first season ended really strongly. I can't think of any other Star Trek show that did so well with the end of its first season, or which have episodes that can stand up to Duet and the Circle trilogy.
Brother-Captain Optimus Metallus
Ultramarines 3rd Battle Company
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I've been rewatching some of the early episodes like "Emisarry" and "Duet". I'm in a Cardassian mood and it's really odd.

I don't mean odd as in this is the pre-Dominion era. It's odd seeing the Cardassian Union where it is during this time-frame in the franchise and knowing that seven years later, this player in Alpha Quadrant geopolitics, this mighty empire, will be nothing more than a rump state.