Hey, we can actually build a holodeck!

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Hey, we can actually build a holodeck!

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Michio Kaku, theoretical physicist, public science figure and science fiction fan, had been starring in Sci-Fi Science Physics of the Impossible show on Discovery Science, trying to find ways to recreate technologies and do things found in Science Fiction using current science and technology. In season 2 last year he designed a Holodeck that could be achievable in the next few decades:

Part 1

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCbBEOYF ... re=related [/youtube] Part 2

Personally, I think this idea would work. The Catom idea was ingenius, but it's a little bit overstretch with the idea of those robotic legs and pads. There must be a way to shrink that down to size.

So, what do you guys think?
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

--- The Anti-Nihilist view in short.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Hey, we can actually build a holodeck!

Post by Solauren »

(Smacks Space Marine)

No, we can't build a holodeck. We could POTIENTALLY build a holodeck.

What are you, like 9? 10? Do your parents know you are on the Internet?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Solauren wrote:(Smacks Space Marine)

Of course not. Sorry, wrong wording.

But in the end, why the Holodeck? We could do all that in a much more compact manner if they feed the virtual reality directly into a person's head, ala Matrix?
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

--- The Anti-Nihilist view in short.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Because physical interaction is probably safer and more practical than jamming shit into your skull?
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

Not to mention the fact that a Gamer who spends his time in a Holodeck will be far more physically active than one who sits in front of a TV or Computer, let alone one who uses something like the Matrix.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

SpaceMarine93 wrote:
Solauren wrote:(Smacks Space Marine)

Of course not. Sorry, wrong wording.

But in the end, why the Holodeck? We could do all that in a much more compact manner if they feed the virtual reality directly into a person's head, ala Matrix?
The holodeck is preferable in that it's instantly accessible to anyone who walks by. Something like The Matrix would require major, invasive surgery into one of the most sensitive and critical parts of the body.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

And as pointed out, you can use it to get fit. I would much rather lay the holodeck version of Call of Duty than the VR version.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.