Your favorite ST Starship design

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Your favorite ST Starship

Constitution TOS/Refit (Classic)
23%
Excelsior (workhorse of the fleet)
10%
Galaxy (oh my God that saucer is huge!)
2%
Bird of Prey TOS/Movies (Klingon Classic)
3%
D'deridex (Man this thing is big)
11%
Miranda/Reliant (KHAAANNNN!!!!)
6%
Sovereign (sleek and dangerous)
13%
Defiant (small but dangerous)
14%
D-7/K'tinga (workhorse)
3%
Other (anything else)
13%

Total votes: 97

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: Your favorite ST Starship design

Post by Knife »

I love the original, the lines are awesome. But, I have to put my vote in for the Excelsior. All the awesome of the E-refit with an extra dose of awesome.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The warbird has the best instant impression of them all.

The Galaxy radiates warmth and a non-threatening appearance.

The Defiant is a bulldog.

The Sovereign is sleek, dangerous and lacks the typical Federation warmth. Good for a post-Wolf universe, I guess.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I still love the Intrepid, and find it underrated. It has that wonderful mix of durability and speed. And any vessel that can survive seven years in largely hostile territory cut off from the Federation is a worthwhile design. And it can land on planets. And it just looks nice.

The only major design flaws (other than those common to most or all Starfleet designs) were the bio-gel packs, and the small number of torpedos. An Intrepid without the gel packs and with a larger torpedo armament would be a superb ship.
Cesario
Subhuman Pedophilia Advocate

Post by Cesario »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I still love the Intrepid, and find it underrated. It has that wonderful mix of durability and speed. And any vessel that can survive seven years in largely hostile territory cut off from the Federation is a worthwhile design. And it can land on planets. And it just looks nice.

The only major design flaws (other than those common to most or all Starfleet designs) were the bio-gel packs, and the small number of torpedos. An Intrepid without the gel packs and with a larger torpedo armament would be a superb ship.
And it's not like they don't have space for storing extra torpedo armanent. Just remove a few of the extra shuttle racks.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Err, didn't the Intrepid carry only two shuttles?

Yeah, I don't think I'd cut down on the shuttle compliment.

If I was going to make that sort of modification, I'd probably pull out either one of the holodecks (they have more than one right?) or the captain's dining room.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I'm fond of the Intrepid design, just not as much as I like the originals.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Cesario
Subhuman Pedophilia Advocate

Post by Cesario »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Err, didn't the Intrepid carry only two shuttles?

Yeah, I don't think I'd cut down on the shuttle compliment.

If I was going to make that sort of modification, I'd probably pull out either one of the holodecks (they have more than one right?) or the captain's dining room.
Either Vouager was building them like mad throughout the trip or they brought more than two shuttles.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I just remember hearing/reading it somewhere, that it had two shuttles.

Yeah, it would be a continuity error, but it wouldn't be the first, would it?

But they did build at least one shuttle on the trip: the Delta Flyer. So obviously they have the capability to do so.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Consitution Refit is my favorite spaceship design period. I was happy to see the ship in the Abram's movie borrowed heavily from it. Much more so than the series original. Whatever designer said "Art Deco Warp Nacelles" is a genius.

Enterprise E always looked really cool to me and so did Excelsior.
Best care anywhere.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Canon: I have to go with the Klingon Flagship in the DS9+ era. Kick ass.

WAS Canon (pre TNG): FASA Star Trek RPG. Specifically, the Romulan Winged Defender and Comet of Destruction Classes.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

CaptHawkeye wrote:Consitution Refit is my favorite spaceship design period. I was happy to see the ship in the Abram's movie borrowed heavily from it. Much more so than the series original. Whatever designer said "Art Deco Warp Nacelles" is a genius.
According to Andrew Probert, the guy responsible for the nacelles was Art Director Richard Taylor.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I just remember hearing/reading it somewhere, that it had two shuttles.

But they did build at least one shuttle on the trip: the Delta Flyer. So obviously they have the capability to do so.
IIRC, the delta flyer was largely made out of parts from the unseen captain's yacht.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

They built two Delta Flyers. They built a second one after the original was destroyed in "Unimatrix Zero" IIRC.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

spaceviking wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:I just remember hearing/reading it somewhere, that it had two shuttles.

IIRC, the delta flyer was largely made out of parts from the unseen captain's yacht.
Then how did they build the second one?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I admit I love the Delta Flyer. If the Delta Flyer counts as a Starship, I'll probably choose it for this thread.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Well it doesn't fit my definition of a starship but the 'other' option in the poll did say anything else :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I might also consider the alt-future E-D. Simply because it has three nacelles and that fuckoff huge phaser cannon, makes warp 13 at a minimum and has a cloaking device. Looks pretty cool too.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

It is warp capable. I'd say you could count it as a starship. :)
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The Romulan Republic wrote:It is warp capable. I'd say you could count it as a starship. :)
By that reasoning so are FTL capable single seat fighters like the alphabet wings from Star wars. To me at least, 'ship' indicates something that can accommodate a number of people in comfort for a number of days (and if those numbers a single or low end double figure, it's a boat).
At best the Delta Flyer is a stardinghy.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:I might also consider the alt-future E-D. Simply because it has three nacelles and that fuckoff huge phaser cannon, makes warp 13 at a minimum and has a cloaking device. Looks pretty cool too.
From the TNG craft, that's certainly my favourite (if the bloody NX-01 is real then by Valen, so is the Dreadnaught Galaxy).
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Batman wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:It is warp capable. I'd say you could count it as a starship. :)
By that reasoning so are FTL capable single seat fighters like the alphabet wings from Star wars. To me at least, 'ship' indicates something that can accommodate a number of people in comfort for a number of days (and if those numbers a single or low end double figure, it's a boat).
At best the Delta Flyer is a stardinghy.
Pretty sure the Delta Flyer can do multi-day missions with a crew of several people.

Oh well. If I can't count it, I'll just vote for the Intrepid class.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Notice the 'to me at last?' That's my personal definition. :D Nothing in the OP says 'no small craft' far as I remember.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

The Delta Flyer is pretty much a hydrib between a shuttle and a runabout.

If the runabouts are considered starships, then the DF is. It;s just a very small one.

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Except Runabouts are considerably larger than shuttles while the Delta Flyer was not. Of course, shuttles were supposedly able to go on multi-day trips in TNG on occasion so presumably they just stored all the stuff needed for that (kitchen facilities/food replicators, bunks, restrooms) in the transporter pattern buffer.
Of course the Delta Flyer also allegedly had Jeffries Tubes so who knows-maybe most of its volume was actually hidden in subspace and it's actual size dwarfed AQ capital ships. :D
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Hmm...interesting discussion on the DF. That being said, I did mean anything in the OP. If you consider it a starship then by all means pick it.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE