ODS9EG- "Sons and Daughters"

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

ODS9EG- "Sons and Daughters"

Post by VF5SS »

Chuck continues his campaign against the Dominion

to be fair to Alexander, the BATLETH is kind of a terrible weapon for any actor to wield

I've seen big tokusatsu weapons that were easier to use than that
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Re: ODS9EG- "Sons and Daughters"

Post by Burak Gazan »

I should know better to watch these reviews while consuming liquids :)

"Sorry Alexander, the only way you are going to kill a Jem'Hadar in close combat is if you are wearing a suicide vest... and even THEN you might press the wrong button and unlock his car or something..." :lol:

Damn near killed me :mrgreen:
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

I think they should've left Alexander alone and just focused on Worf and Martok. Sure, there wouldn't be quite so many laughs, but you'd be focusing on people who will mean more in the long run and who we actually give a damn about.
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

I like how this episode totally ignores Firstborn from TNG where Alexander insisted on not becoming a warrior and Worf eventually approved of it even if it could mean his own death. Wait, I don't like it, I find it fucking stupid. So Alexander abandons his aspirations to follow in the footsteps of his mother and become a diplomat to become the class clown on a klingon warship because...why exactly? I don't think the episode provides a satisfactory answer.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

I never understood why he became a soldier of the Klingon Empire.

OK, he was young when he made the decision not to become a warrior like his father. He might have had a change of heart during all those years.

But it would have been better for SoD to make him a Federation engineer serving in an exchange program or being on loan from a Fed-fleet to help repair or upgrade the Klingon ship. That way the Klingons can learn that you don't have to be a fearsome warrior to be a hero. (Didn't he save the ship when he locked himself in that compartment?)
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I half-jokingly wonder if it was meant to add to the "Worf has a shitty family life" arc that built throughout the series:

- His parents were killed by a traitor whose son later successfully framed Worf's father for the treachery
- His son's mother is killed by same traitor's son
- His adoptive brother is, in his eyes, a huge embarrassment to the family
- His real brother winds up having to have his memory wiped because he's suicidally ashamed of the aftermath of Worf's actions
- His son disappoints him by first deciding he doesn't want to be a Klingon Warrior; then it turns out Worf couldn't even be bothered to call or write after dumping Alexander with his adoptive parents; then it turns out Alexander sucks at being a Klingon Warrior
- His wife gets killed by Dukat

The dude cannot catch a break there.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Don't forget the countless times Worf being thrown about. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Uraniun235 wrote:I half-jokingly wonder if it was meant to add to the "Worf has a shitty family life" arc that built throughout the series:

- His parents were killed by a traitor whose son later successfully framed Worf's father for the treachery
- His son's mother is killed by same traitor's son
- His adoptive brother is, in his eyes, a huge embarrassment to the family
- His real brother winds up having to have his memory wiped because he's suicidally ashamed of the aftermath of Worf's actions
- His son disappoints him by first deciding he doesn't want to be a Klingon Warrior; then it turns out Worf couldn't even be bothered to call or write after dumping Alexander with his adoptive parents; then it turns out Alexander sucks at being a Klingon Warrior
- His wife gets killed by Dukat

The dude cannot catch a break there.
Don't forget he was estranged from his apodted parents for many years, and it took the near destruction/assimilation of earth to bring them together again.

Or that he accidently killed a child in his youth.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Cesario
Subhuman Pedophilia Advocate

Post by Cesario »

Really, my sympathies were entirely with Worf in this episode. He knows, KNOWS that his son doesn't want to be a warior. He has given his blessing to his son's future diplomatic career. And we were both confused as fuck by the events in this episode.

If Alexander wanted to join up to stop the Dominion, why join up with the Klingons instead of Starfleet which he's culturally got more in common with? If he wanted to impress his father, Worf had no problem with him not being a warior last we saw. If Worf was being a huge douche offscreen since the last time we saw Alexander, why weren't Worf's parents doing a better job keeping him stable?

And even if all those questions are answered, why in the world did he not get some basic combat training before signing on to a klingon warship? And why did the Klingons let him sign on without basic combat training?
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

It's episodes like this and half the references to DS9 Worf plots that Uraniun wrote in this post above that make me think DS9 writers just didn't have a clue.
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

Stofsk wrote:It's episodes like this and half the references to DS9 Worf plots that Uraniun wrote in this post above that make me think DS9 writers just didn't have a clue.
The sad part is, of all the writing staffs, if DS9 doesn't have a clue, then what hope is there for Voyager or Enterprise? Oh wait, there is none. Nevermind.
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Worf's addition to DS9 wsa always meant as an attempt to tie into TNG and tap that demographic and (I suspect) bolster ratings. And to be honest while I thought having worf in the crew was cool when this originally came about (I was much younger at the time as well) in retrospect Worf just sticks out in the rest of the cast. If it wasn't for the Dominion war angle he wouldn't have much of a point to be there at all, but even with that angle it felt like his inclusion amongst the main cast was.. forced. That may account for the way he and his plots were handled, including all the contradictions. TNG had one idea/version of Worf, and DS9 is trying to present us a completely different idea of Worf, and the two just don't mix.
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

Connor MacLeod wrote:Worf's addition to DS9 wsa always meant as an attempt to tie into TNG and tap that demographic and (I suspect) bolster ratings. And to be honest while I thought having worf in the crew was cool when this originally came about (I was much younger at the time as well) in retrospect Worf just sticks out in the rest of the cast. If it wasn't for the Dominion war angle he wouldn't have much of a point to be there at all, but even with that angle it felt like his inclusion amongst the main cast was.. forced. That may account for the way he and his plots were handled, including all the contradictions. TNG had one idea/version of Worf, and DS9 is trying to present us a completely different idea of Worf, and the two just don't mix.
IIRC Worf didn't bring much of a ratings boost to TNG. And yes, watching it here recently, he did seem out of place. Everyone sort of had to adjust their pace when Worf was involved, and he was such an outsider even among the main station crew, he slept on the Defiant. I hate that DS9 never became popular enough to warrant their own movies, because I think if they pulled the writers out and put them to work on a movie, it would be quite an amazing thing. The long story arcs, especially towards the end of the series, would be good for the movies (though I was unhappy with what happened to Sisko).

Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

tezunegari wrote:I never understood why he became a soldier of the Klingon Empire.

OK, he was young when he made the decision not to become a warrior like his father. He might have had a change of heart during all those years.

But it would have been better for SoD to make him a Federation engineer serving in an exchange program or being on loan from a Fed-fleet to help repair or upgrade the Klingon ship. That way the Klingons can learn that you don't have to be a fearsome warrior to be a hero. (Didn't he save the ship when he locked himself in that compartment?)
So Alexander would see one piece of equipment was broken during the fight, and he tells another Klingon (a young woman) to watch one screen, and when the equipment is repaired, she is to bring it back online. The equipment is in a corridor that is flooded with toxic fumes, so Alexander has to hold his breath the entire time. Have her make a comment that no Klingon warrior would do such a stupid/suicidal action. Alexander reminds her that since everyone has been saying he is not a warrior, he will do it.

He gets in, does the repair, and manages to leave in time. Arriving out, the other Klnigons are ready to celebrate because his repair allowed them to win. They stagger back due to the toxic fumes still on his clothes. When the Captain (and Worf) are chewing him out for the stunt and for nearly dying, Alexander replies something like, "I knew it would take me a total of six minutes to get to the site, perform the repair, and get back. I can hold my breath for seven minutes. There was no risk."

He then tells the Captain that there is one thing he did forget to do before he went in there. When the Captain asks what Alexander forgot, Alexander walks over to the Klingon female, grabs and kisses her. He looks at the Captain and says, "That is what I forgot." :lol:

When Worf later asks him why Alexander did what he did, Alexander tells that it was what he learned from Commander Riker, "The ship comes first."

Later, we have Alexander inducted into the House of Martok, where Martok tells him he is being welcomed as his own warrior. He will bring his own thoughts of honor into the Huoseof martok, to bring it stronger. In return, Martok offers a family, to train him in the ways of combat (mainly hand to hand, to get his seat at the mess table).