Sisko: Ambitious?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Sisko: Ambitious?

Post by Crazedwraith »

I've been re-watching some season 4 of DS9 and it made me remember something I noticed last time I watch season 5. Which is one of Micheal Eddington's rants in either For The Uniform or Blaze Of Glory, where he mentions Sisko pursued him so doggedly because he was a black mark on Sisko's record and because 'Sisko was so busy measuring himself for an Admiral's Uniform' he couldn't take it.

Now, this comment weirded me out, because Sisko never really seemed that ambitious too me. Was that actually supposed to be one of his characteristics? Or was Eddington just bullshitting?

In fact, I can't recall any starfleeter, with the exception of Shelby, was that ambitious. How many times did Riker turn down command of a ship? Of course, for the most part this is just a side effect of wanting to keep the same main cast through out the run of a show.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Re: Sisko: Ambitious?

Post by Uraniun235 »

I just watched the episode where Sisko got promoted to Captain. Sisko says the promotion doesn't make a big difference to him, as he's got the same assignment and the same responsibilities. Eddington says that it's not even the Admiralty that a lot of people aspire to, that everyone joins Starfleet with an eye on the "Captain's chair".

"I appreciate the sentiment Commander, but it really doesn't change anything. I have the assignment I want, I have the crew that I want... the rank doesn't make much difference."
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Crazedwraith wrote: In fact, I can't recall any starfleeter, with the exception of Shelby, was that ambitious. How many times did Riker turn down command of a ship? Of course, for the most part this is just a side effect of wanting to keep the same main cast through out the run of a show.
James T. Kirk. In TMP he is portrayed as obsessed with reclaiming command of the Enterprise. Based on TOS, we can infer from Kirk's near love of the Enterprise (and what we gleam about his early years in Starfleet) that he was probably as ambitious as Shelby to get a command. However, his ambition seems to end at the Captain's chair, as he was portrayed as unhappy with the rank of Admiral at every turn.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Uraniun235 wrote:I just watched the episode where Sisko got promoted to Captain. Sisko says the promotion doesn't make a big difference to him, as he's got the same assignment and the same responsibilities. Eddington says that it's not even the Admiralty that a lot of people aspire to, that everyone joins Starfleet with an eye on the "Captain's chair".

"I appreciate the sentiment Commander, but it really doesn't change anything. I have the assignment I want, I have the crew that I want... the rank doesn't make much difference."
That's the same episode where Eddington laments that goldshirts don't get to be Captain? Sounds like Eddington was just projecting hard if he became a Marquis purely to gain a command position.
Skylon wrote: James T. Kirk. In TMP he is portrayed as obsessed with reclaiming command of the Enterprise. Based on TOS, we can infer from Kirk's near love of the Enterprise (and what we gleam about his early years in Starfleet) that he was probably as ambitious as Shelby to get a command. However, his ambition seems to end at the Captain's chair, as he was portrayed as unhappy with the rank of Admiral at every turn.
This is a good point. But most of Kirk's ambitiousness is in the past. By those standards you could also include Riker who was supposed to a young brash ambitious officer before TNG. Until he started turning down commands to maintain the Status quo.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Crazedwraith wrote:I've been re-watching some season 4 of DS9 and it made me remember something I noticed last time I watch season 5. Which is one of Micheal Eddington's rants in either For The Uniform or Blaze Of Glory, where he mentions Sisko pursued him so doggedly because he was a black mark on Sisko's record and because 'Sisko was so busy measuring himself for an Admiral's Uniform' he couldn't take it.
The Admiral comment was Eddington being a dick. Sisko is just extremely dedicated to his work and feels that Eddington betrayed him personally. Also, the idea of losing makes him batshit crazy.
Now, this comment weirded me out, because Sisko never really seemed that ambitious too me. Was that actually supposed to be one of his characteristics? Or was Eddington just bullshitting?
From all the comments Dax makes about young Sisko, he was extremely headstrong and ambitious. The death of his wife crippled him until he was given command of DS9 and bitch-slapped by the Prophets into finally accepting her death.

So, he's chilled out a lot. But it still doesn't change the fact that he can't stand to lose.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Uraniun235 wrote:I just watched the episode where Sisko got promoted to Captain. Sisko says the promotion doesn't make a big difference to him, as he's got the same assignment and the same responsibilities. Eddington says that it's not even the Admiralty that a lot of people aspire to, that everyone joins Starfleet with an eye on the "Captain's chair".

Also Eddington's whining about gold shirts don't get to be command is BS. It's lucky for him that Worf isn't in the room when he was saying that. Come one Eddington, you are dealing with a Gold Shirt in a command position every day. Even Troi can pass the command qualification test! Get out of whine cellar and do something to move up to command Arnold Rimmer!
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Does anyone become an officer in any military to stay an ensign/lieutenant? The question is pretty dumb.

I think what you want to ask is if Sisko's ambition drives him more than the average Starfleet officer. The answer is no.

You also have to take into account youth and experience. As we have seen, Kirk and Picard were practically different people when they were cadets and young officers. There is no reason to think Sisko was any different. That difference could very well color a person's opinion of an elder and seasoned officer if they hadn't been around that person for years.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"