Why did we not see anti-matter podes used weapon more often

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

JasonB
Retarded Spambot

Why did we not see anti-matter podes used weapon more often

Post by JasonB »

IN star Terk why not seen anti-matter pode used weapons more often. Why only seen once get used Voyager as weapon.
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Re: Why did we not see anti-matter podes used weapon more of

Post by Baffalo »

JasonB wrote:IN star Terk why not seen anti-matter pode used weapons more often. Why only seen once get used Voyager as weapon.
ENGLISH MOTHER FUCKER! Someone needs to start a fucking donation to get JasonB a dictionary

I'm going to assume you want to know why the Federation doesn't use more anti-matter weapons. Simple. THEY ALREADY DO. They're called photon torpedoes, and they contain equal measures of matter and anti-matter ready to be slammed together upon impact. Why would the torpedo use matter when they already have matter around them? Because in equal measure, they can control the yield much better and even, to a degree, focus the explosion. The explosion needs to happen regardless of whether the torpedo hits the enemy's shields or their hull, and if they only hit the hull, there would be no problems. But if they hit the shields, the shields can keep the anti-matter away from the hull, rendering it useless. The explosion will hurt the shields or the hull, regardless.
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

In Star Turk V: The Final Falafel, we did see anti-fennel sauce being deployed as a weapon, but it was abandoned as it was found to be even more expensive than sauce made with regular fennel.

Voyager may not have been throwing antimatter around in massive quantities for similar reasons, though that assumes that the writers actually remembered the premise of the show for a minute or two...

Unless Jason was asking why Voyager itself wasn't used as a weapon, which is a decent question- the spearhead shape of the Intrepid Class would make it much deadlier than the Galaxy Class' saucer.
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

And god knows Voyager and it's onboard equipment was probably more expendable than your average photon torpedo.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

JasonB wrote:IN star Terk why not seen anti-matter pode used weapons more often. Why only seen once get used Voyager as weapon.
If you drove a tank, would you toss your gas tank at your enemies? What am I fucking saying! Of course you would! You are Jason, the fucked up moron that should be playing with matches and dynamite at the same time. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

Enigma wrote:
If you drove a tank, would you toss your gas tank at your enemies? What am I fucking saying! Of course you would! You are Jason, the fucked up moron that should be playing with matches and dynamite at the same time. :)
Now now, you know they keep dynamite locked up for a reason. After that last incident JasonB was in...
open_sketchbook wrote:And god knows Voyager and it's onboard equipment was probably more expendable than your average photon torpedo.
Hand Harry Kim a pack full of antimatter and fire him off. God knows another version of him will pop up in five minutes, so just start stockpiling him.
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Is what Star Terk?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
JasonB
Retarded Spambot

Post by JasonB »

Basic put why does starfleet not use anti-matter pods as weapons more often.
If wish to see reason I am asking this question watch this video form 2 minute and 33 seconds to about 3 minute and 47 seconds
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Because they don't want to throw their fuel at them, fucking idiot!
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
JasonB
Retarded Spambot

Post by JasonB »

Enigma wrote:Because they don't want to throw their fuel at them, fucking idiot!
Enigma lot see got right so UFP prefers to lose starships then throw fuel at their enemy. I did not think for secound starfleet goes by logic come anti-matter pods.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

JasonB wrote:
Enigma wrote:Because they don't want to throw their fuel at them, fucking idiot!
Enigma lot see got right so UFP prefers to lose starships then throw fuel at their enemy. I did not think for secound starfleet goes by logic come anti-matter pods.
UFP prefers to have ships that can move in a fight and not be stranded because a fucking moron decided to throw their fuel at their enemies.

Also I don't think Starfleet cum anti-matter pods. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Cecelia5578
Jedi Knight

Post by Cecelia5578 »

Baffalo wrote:
ENGLISH MOTHER FUCKER! Someone needs to start a fucking donation to get JasonB a dictionary

I'm going to assume you want to know why the Federation doesn't use more anti-matter weapons. Simple. THEY ALREADY DO. They're called photon torpedoes, and they contain equal measures of matter and anti-matter ready to be slammed together upon impact. Why would the torpedo use matter when they already have matter around them? Because in equal measure, they can control the yield much better and even, to a degree, focus the explosion. The explosion needs to happen regardless of whether the torpedo hits the enemy's shields or their hull, and if they only hit the hull, there would be no problems. But if they hit the shields, the shields can keep the anti-matter away from the hull, rendering it useless. The explosion will hurt the shields or the hull, regardless.
Um, someone earlier mentioned that he identifies as autistic, I'd hope that SDN could be a wee bit disability friendly?
Lurking everywhere since 1998
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Cecelia5578 wrote: Um, someone earlier mentioned that he identifies as autistic, I'd hope that SDN could be a wee bit disability friendly?
I'm surprised it took this long for someone to point this out. I'm a little ashamed I didn't.

Of course, I suppose he could just be trolling, you never know with the internet. However, innocent until proven guilty, right?
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

Cecelia5578 wrote:Um, someone earlier mentioned that he identifies as autistic, I'd hope that SDN could be a wee bit disability friendly?
I like to think of myself as an equal opportunity asshole, though I will cut him a break if he's truly autistic.

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Baffalo wrote:
Cecelia5578 wrote:Um, someone earlier mentioned that he identifies as autistic, I'd hope that SDN could be a wee bit disability friendly?
I like to think of myself as an equal opportunity asshole, though I will cut him a break if he's truly autistic.
It is a claim that has been made in ASVS not here and he didn't broadcast it, he told the admin and the admin told us that Jason claimed to be autistic.

Yet there are there are members here with varying degrees of autism yet none seem to act like Jason. *shrugs*

Even if he was, he is able to learn to adapt but the only thing he hasn't changed is his unwilling to concede at all.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Is Jason aware of his near-incomprehensible writing? Is this really the best he can do?

I mean, I'd be willing to give him a break if I felt there was reason to believe that.

Anyway. Another good reason not to use antimatter fuel canisters as bombs. They don't come with an engine.

If I kick an antimatter fuel can out the back of my ship, I have to pray the enemy will be retarded enough to fly into it. If they think "the enemy just dropped something, could be a booby-trap, stay the fuck away from it," I just wasted the fuel.

In the case we see, the bad guys are actively chasing Voyager, at very close range with little time to evade, and when Voyager craps something out the back, they don't make that connection that it could be a booby-trap.

This is practically the only situation where it would be useful to use the antimatter pods. And in this case, the only reason Voyager was even bothering to hang around was because there was some medicine they needed or something. Normally the smart move in this situation would be the "scream like a bitch and run away" maneuver.

Not the "drop a bomb out the back and hope they're retarded enough to fly into it at point blank range" maneuver.
Cecelia5578
Jedi Knight

Post by Cecelia5578 »

Enigma wrote:
Baffalo wrote:
It is a claim that has been made in ASVS not here and he didn't broadcast it, he told the admin and the admin told us that Jason claimed to be autistic.

Yet there are there are members here with varying degrees of autism yet none seem to act like Jason. *shrugs*

Even if he was, he is able to learn to adapt but the only thing he hasn't changed is his unwilling to concede at all.
Probably because autism tends to be defined by a spectrum, and probably many of the people here who identify as such may be higher functioning. For all we know, it can all be a hoax, but in the meantime, I feel sorry for everyone piling on someone with a disability. This is like the worst of angry nerdrage.
Lurking everywhere since 1998
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The question in everyone's mind is whether he really has a disability that makes it impossible for him to write coherently, or whether he is mimicking such a disability for his own reasons.

Normally, the answer would be "no duh, he actually has the disability." But because medical inability to write clearly is fairly rare, compared to more mundane explanations such as "he's just very bad at writing/doesn't care/could write clearly if he wanted to but is trolling..." it creates doubt.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

It could be that english is not his first language, and he's laundering these discussions through some sort of online translation program. There's someone on Spacebattles named Drakbolo who sounds exactly like this and whom I suspect of doing the exact same thing.
Maelstrom
Redshirt

Post by Maelstrom »

An anti-matter pod lobbed out of a starship would be a horribly inefficient use of antimatter, against a vessel with shields anyway. The only matter the antimatter would react with would be the pod's shell. Photon torpedoes are supposed to combine their antimatter/matter payloads in the most efficient manner possible. Now, why the Federation doesn't seem to field any scaled up versions of their torpedoes, I don't know. Would seem like a good idea, given that the universe is an oft hostile place. I mean, you have starships hundreds of meters long, and you can't install a launch tube or two devoted to some "special" ordnance?

As to the OP being autistic or not, for some reason I thought that English just wasn't his first language. I've worked with several autistic children and adults, and most were pretty solid in terms of written language and grammar, but autism is widely variable in how it presents, so anything is possible. I'm not sure, though, why someone would claim to be autistic, just so they can get away with posting borderline incoherencies on an internet forum.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Note that Starfleet ships are already occasionally endangered by their own weapons as it is (BoBW though that wasn't photorps, Booby Trap, New Ground) and photorps generally seem to do the job so they might be wary of deploying higher-yield versions.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Maelstrom
Redshirt

Post by Maelstrom »

Batman wrote:Note that Starfleet ships are already occasionally endangered by their own weapons as it is (BoBW though that wasn't photorps, Booby Trap, New Ground) and photorps generally seem to do the job so they might be wary of deploying higher-yield versions.
For sure. I mean, I'm surprised anyone in starfleet ever even makes it to retirement age. They always seem to be one hostile encounter, stellar anomaly, sneeze away from cataclysm. But, the torps aren't loaded with antimatter until they're ready to fire, so I don't see why they couldn't scale things up a notch. I mean, if 1 kg of antimatter goes off inside the ship, I'm pretty sure they're boned anyway. So, why not 4kg? Of course, more firepower could potentially take away from the underdog status of the Enterprise in a lot of their alien of the week encounters, affecting the dramatic flow of the episodes, where the crew's wit, and technowank solution saves the day in the end.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Err-those were examples of them being endangered by their weapons hitting the target. The antimatter being onboard is a danger no matter where it is currently parked, that's one of the drawbacks of antimatter, but those were situations where the ship was endangered by photorps deployed as intended.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Batman wrote:Err-those were examples of them being endangered by their weapons hitting the target. The antimatter being onboard is a danger no matter where it is currently parked, that's one of the drawbacks of antimatter, but those were situations where the ship was endangered by photorps deployed as intended.
I seem to recall that in Q Who, they had to stop firing on the Borg because they'd have risked being destroyed by their own torpedos at that range.
Maelstrom
Redshirt

Post by Maelstrom »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Batman wrote:Err-those were examples of them being endangered by their weapons hitting the target. The antimatter being onboard is a danger no matter where it is currently parked, that's one of the drawbacks of antimatter, but those were situations where the ship was endangered by photorps deployed as intended.
I seem to recall that in Q Who, they had to stop firing on the Borg because they'd have risked being destroyed by their own torpedos at that range.
Yeah, I guess I hadn't taken that into consideration. Kinda like how a 100MT version of the Tsara bomb would have incinerated the bomber crew deploying it. And given the range at which most Trek engagements seem to take place, and the sketchy nature of their shielding, I can see that blowing themselves up might be a real possibility.