Concept behind stillborn 'Star Trek' cartoon

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Concept behind stillborn 'Star Trek' cartoon

Post by Thanas »

I am glad that you have that perfect knowledge of Federation procedure and backed it up with sources and logical arguments.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

batman wrote:The Japanese Empire of WW2 wasn't exactly a paragon of virtue either yet Starfleet saw nothing wrong with naming a Galaxy class after one of their icons.
Yamato is also the ancient name for Japan, not just the WW2 warship. A close equivalent would be a hypothetical USS Deutschland. Fittingly, "Deutschland" was also the name of a WW2 warship (later renamed "Lützow") just like "Yamato".
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Thanas wrote:I am glad that you have that perfect knowledge of Federation procedure and backed it up with sources and logical arguments.
I don't, and never claimed I have. All I'm saying is they seem to follow modern day and historical customs, which are-to name a ship after another.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Batman wrote:
Thanas wrote:I am glad that you have that perfect knowledge of Federation procedure and backed it up with sources and logical arguments.
I don't, and never claimed I have. All I'm saying is they seem to follow modern day and historical customs, which are-to name a ship after another.
This custom is not even observed by many of the major navies of today, like the Bundesmarine or the US Navy (the latter for their biggest ships). So I'd be very careful applying it here, especially considering that it would mean the Federation would either feel a connection to the other ships or think them worth honoring.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

To comment on the actual OP and not the debates spawning off from the topic (I think everyone knows how I feel about the Maquis), while the background does feel like a major undermining of the Star Trek mentality, it's important to remember that some stories are best told by questioning, even removing what your characters or setting is all about, and then building them back up. I imagine the appeal of this show would have been Chase and the crew of the Enterprise acting to restore the original ideals and mentality of Starfleet, boldly going where no one has gone before (and thwarting the people responsible for the Omega blasts in the first place).

I am actually intrigued by the fact that the background for one of the characters mentions "the Kessok Incident". Giving Bridge Commander a slight entry into the soft canon actually sounds pretty cool to me and makes me wish the series had actually gotten made.

Well, that and because the concept art makes Kaylen Donal look like a total Action Girl badass, and after the unfulfilled potential of Tasha Yar in TNG having a badass security chick do well in a Trek show would be completely cool to see. 8)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED