star trek 2009

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

dragon
Sith Marauder

star trek 2009

Post by dragon »

Was just watching the 2009 bluray movie and was wondering if someone had done in depth analysis of the movie? I was curious because I noticed when they evacuated the USS Kelvin there was twenty shuttle craft against the sun background plus the the one the captain had makes 21. So the entire upper nacelle is in fact a hanger. :?

Anyways back to original question if there is a good analysis I would appreciate a link to it please.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Srelex
Jedi Master

Re: star trek 2009

Post by Srelex »

Ex Astris Scientia catalogued the vessels and a few other things, if that's what you want.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schem ... _ships.htm
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Well, I'm suspicious of a site that makes such an error as saying that the new film "effectively erases TOS from history." Isn't it just an alternate universe, and not an elimination of the original timeline?

That said, its an interesting catalog, and even includes some things I didn't remember seeing in the movie.

I wish we had an analysis of firepower and shield strength, however.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Well, I'm suspicious of a site that makes such an error as saying that the new film "effectively erases TOS from history." Isn't it just an alternate universe, and not an elimination of the original timeline?

That said, its an interesting catalog, and even includes some things I didn't remember seeing in the movie.

I wish we had an analysis of firepower and shield strength, however.
Yeah that would be nice, at least they now say on the website it's an alternate reality as Uhara and Spock mention on the bridge.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Well, yeah--I just thought that it was better than nothing. And I don't really think we can quantify much from the film; they talk about shields, but we don't see them do much, and we don't really see any good examples of firepower either. All we have is the Narada drilling through a planet in what, fifteen minutes or something?
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well as I recall, in the Kobyashi Maru simulator one torpedo is sufficient to kill an unshielded Klingon Warbird. That's not very specific, though, obviously.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Now that you mention it, we know that the Narada apparently destroyed a fleet of 47 Klingon ships. What sort of punishment does that indicate it can take? Yeah, that's not much, but it's something, at least.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Well there is a hundred years of tech difference but then that smoothed out a bit that it was a mining ship and not a war ship. Considering the torpedos were blowing right through the shields.

One thing I thought was cool was the turrets mounted on the saucer section and they used them to intercept the torpedos.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Well as I recall, in the Kobyashi Maru simulator one torpedo is sufficient to kill an unshielded Klingon Warbird. That's not very specific, though, obviously.
It may not be totally accurate either. The seemingly weak Klingon ships that can be destroyed by one torpedo may have been a result of Kirk's "hack" of the simulation.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Ex Astris is still grinding an axe against the new movie. He still refuses to accept the new size. He goes so far as to completely ignoring the scaling that comes from the shuttle bays in both the Enterprise and Kelvin. He is letting personal opinions get in the way of his ability to analyze objectively. This puts any future commentary from Ex Astris into question.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

What's the problem with the new size? I'm not exactly thrilled with the movie either but what has that got to do with anything? It's a new continuity, so what if the nuTrek E-nil is a lot bigger than the original?
As Aly said I'd like to see someone try to fit the new E-nil's shuttle bay anywhere on the old E-nil and that's just from eyeballing while watching.
The new Big E has lots of PD turrets the old one apparently didn't. Is he going to deny that too? For Valen's sake the ship looks noticeably different. It's clearly not the TOS E-nil.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Skylon wrote:It may not be totally accurate either. The seemingly weak Klingon ships that can be destroyed by one torpedo may have been a result of Kirk's "hack" of the simulation.
Fair enough, though the only thing its clearly indicated he hacked was the shields. But yeah, you have a point.
Joe Momma
Jedi Knight

Post by Joe Momma »

Batman wrote:What's the problem with the new size? I'm not exactly thrilled with the movie either but what has that got to do with anything? It's a new continuity, so what if the nuTrek E-nil is a lot bigger than the original?
TBF, the author at Ex Astris does note some scaling issues and quotes from the production staff that indicate the 2009 Enterprise was initially supposed to be ~366m rather than the final ~725m. The larger scale was apparently set partway through production so some artifacts of the original smaller scale do exist. Still, most of his rationale for rejecting the larger size comes from his personal sense of proper design aesthetics (such as the placement of windows) and his opinion that the larger size is a ridiculous break from previous continuity.

There's a summary of his argument at the end of this section of his overall nu-E commentary.
It's okay to kiss a nun; just don't get into the habit.