AniThyng indulges in pencil sketches!

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

AniThyng
Sith Devotee

AniThyng indulges in pencil sketches!

Post by AniThyng »

So on a whim I bought myself some 4B pencils, art block and went wild, also finally putting stuff on my dormant DA account.

I'm not sure if I can hotlink to DA...so here's my gallery - http://kumquat83.deviantart.com/gallery/ there's only like, 5 pics in there at the moment so I'd appreciate some comments, criticism and guidance :)
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Re: AniThyng indulges in pencil sketches!

Post by MrDakka »

I am by no means an art expert (my only art are just doodles on a sketchpad) so I could be telling you complete crap.

Tanks are HUGE. You already noted it in your title, but your chubby tank looks squished. As for your UN tank it looks a bit short as if a middle chunk is missing. Try to bring some sense of the scale and size of the tank into your drawing.

I'd advise drawing with a picture of an actual tank and try to familiarize yourself with its dimensions and exterior details to make it more realistic. That and maybe add some perspective, unless side views are what you want.

To further pimp out bling out tacticool your tanks, add more crap to the outside. This is war not some showroom floor at a museum. Add huge slabs of ERA/applique armor, searchlights, grenade launchers, smoke launchers, machine guns, remote weapon stations, periscopes, radio antennas, dozer blades, rucksacks, shelves, grates, jerry cans, tacticool military symbols and unit designation numbers, more turrets on top of other turrets,battle damage etc. :lol:

In all seriousness, don't add so much detail that it obscures the tank; add just enough so that the tank looks like a tank ready for battle. Oh and FYI most tracked armored vehicles have more than four road wheels on each side.
Needs moar dakka
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

For comparison, this is an actual Luchs

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/n ... chs_HD.jpg . But you're right, it is still somewhat longer then my rendition of it.

I'll definately try to do something that's not "2D" and move away from side views next - probably starting with something relatively simple like a Tiger, which has the advantage of being...well, a big box.

Thanks!
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

they're stylized cartoon characters. not sure what else to say :)
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee