Vids: Enterprise-F HD and CrossOver Prologue

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Vids: Enterprise-F HD and CrossOver Prologue

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

By popular demand

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHGx0ph66ng[/youtube]
I'd love to have your thoughts!

[edit] What's the trick to embedding video again? [edit] Yay thanks!

[edit] Swapped video for new music.
Last edited by Fuzzy_Modem on 2012-10-22 01:26pm, edited 3 times in total.
PERMANENTLY BANNED after being convicted of child sexual abuse.
RogueIce
_______

Re: Vids: Enterprise-F HD and CrossOver Prologue

Post by RogueIce »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:I'd love to have your thoughts!
Your attempt at embedding YouTube videos sucks.

:razz:

Here, let me fix it for you:

"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Serious question time, how exactly did the sun side avoid getting melted? I understand the dark side surviving thanks to SCIENCE! Since a giant space ship can always dig down for more habitable space, so how did the always sunny side avoid getting you know... burninated.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

A line of narration that I cut was:

"Our sun is unique. It's radiation effects probability, tilting the scales from impossible to improbable, from unlikely to achievable. The Masters harnessed this power, and brought us here from ancient Earth."

A quasi-scientific explanation for "Magic" essentially. Is that a viable answer, and should I re-incorporate it?

[edit]
If I do, should I use the word "radiation" or the word "light" based on presumptions about the narrator?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:A line of narration that I cut was:

"Our sun is unique. It's radiation effects probability, tilting the scales from impossible to improbable, from unlikely to achievable. The Masters harnessed this power, and brought us here from ancient Earth."

A quasi-scientific explanation for "Magic" essentially. Is that a viable answer, and should I re-incorporate it?

[edit]
If I do, should I use the word "radiation" or the word "light" based on the presumptions about the narrator?
as a rule you should avoid scientific sounding terms on the "fantasy" side, also I would say something on the lines of "we don't really know how the sun doesn't burn away the lands as it's said to do in the ancient texts, though it is belived that the Masters possesed some form on powerfull magic they bought with them from ancient Earth, that made it possible for them to make this world our home" sure the dialoge is a tad longer it feels more like something a "fantasy" story teller would say, also no offence but wouldn't it be easier to have the "light" side have normal or semi-normal day/night rotation and the "dark" side have permanent night due to some reason, thus side stepping the whole "why doesn't one side burn" issue and also making filming logistics easier if you intend to film this in Alaska (as you said in the script thread IIRC), since if Alaskan weather is anything like Finland in terms of daylight you'll have major daylight issue late-fall and/or winter.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

How about a big old planetary shield of some sort, if the Masters had teleportation a big old ancient machine designed to let in only a healthy amount of sunlight in but it took a few weeks to power up. Some kind of unexplained solar shield would work fine and people buy that easier than simple magic radiation.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Hmmm... The "Masters" are indigenous, and I actually called them "Natives" in an earlier draft. If this isn't clear I need to find a way to emphasis it, possibly by reverting to the prior terminology.

I've avoided the term "Magic" should I just dive in and use it, or is there a better word?

I'll be filming the Dayside and border during the summer (looooong days and sunsets that last all "night"), and the Nightside during the fall and winter.

[edit] Showing an actual device that shields the small habitable portion of the Dayside may be a good solution, though it poses the question, "what happens of that device is destroyed?" Instead I was leaning toward a sort of magical terraforming, that was fairly permanent.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote: [edit] Showing an actual device that shields the small habitable portion of the Dayside may be a good solution, though it poses the question, "what happens of that device is destroyed?" Instead I was leaning toward a sort of magical terraforming, that was fairly permanent.
Then make the device hard to get to, something way underground or simply huge.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Mr Bean wrote:
Fuzzy_Modem wrote: [edit] Showing an actual device that shields the small habitable portion of the Dayside may be a good solution, though it poses the question, "what happens of that device is destroyed?" Instead I was leaning toward a sort of magical terraforming, that was fairly permanent.
Then make the device hard to get to, something way underground or simply huge.
that or make the fact it can be destroyed and "bad things"(tm) happen a plot point.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:Hmmm... The "Masters" are indigenous, and I actually called them "Natives" in an earlier draft. If this isn't clear I need to find a way to emphasis it, possibly by reverting to the prior terminology.

I've avoided the term "Magic" should I just dive in and use it, or is there a better word?

I'll be filming the Dayside and border during the summer (looooong days and sunsets that last all "night"), and the Nightside during the fall and winter.

[edit] Showing an actual device that shields the small habitable portion of the Dayside may be a good solution, though it poses the question, "what happens of that device is destroyed?" Instead I was leaning toward a sort of magical terraforming, that was fairly permanent.
well you could always use synonyms for the word magic is you really want to avoid the term but you got remember you typical fantasy civilization (which yours seems to be) is at about the development level as medival Europe, so while they wouldn't exactly be stupid, they would be ignorant and supersticious and speak accordingly
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Hmmmm...
alchemy, allurement, astrology, augury, bewitchment, black art, conjuring, conjury, devilry, diabolism, divination, enchantment, exorcism, fascination, foreboding, fortune-telling, hocuspocus, horoscopy, illusion, incantation, legerdemain, magnetism, necromancy, occultism, tricks, abracadabra, power, prediction, presage, prestidigitation, prophecy, rune, sleight of hand, soothsaying, sorcery, sortilege, spell, superstition, taboo, thaumaturgy, trickery, voodoo, voodooism, witchcraft, wizardry
Nothing jumping out at me. I need to study up on druids and Celts, as those are the cultures I'm basing the Dayside civilization on, Might find something appropriate there.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Blessing or gift (from the gods/spirits) could also be used especially in druidic context, just remember that some terms would considered negative or positive by modern audiences.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Well, unlike the rest of these fucking nerds I'll discuss your Enterprise F video instead of silly stuff about a sun or whatever.

Well that and YouTube won't let me get further than halfway through your Crossover vid before it endlessly buffers. Dunno what's up with that.

So yeah, Enterprise F. That is a pretty cool design, and I give you props on how overall polished it is; both the ship and everything it flis around/beside/through. Also props at ending with some phasers and torps though personally I prefer the quantums over photons. Minor quibble.

I'll admit: the Oddyssey as-implemented has grown on me, not gonna lie. But your design is still pretty awesome and I really wish I could somehow see it flying around in STO one day.

Though knowing Cryptic and PWE they'd unlock it in a fucking lock box or some shit. :(
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:Hmmmm...
alchemy, allurement, astrology, augury, bewitchment, black art, conjuring, conjury, devilry, diabolism, divination, enchantment, exorcism, fascination, foreboding, fortune-telling, hocuspocus, horoscopy, illusion, incantation, legerdemain, magnetism, necromancy, occultism, tricks, abracadabra, power, prediction, presage, prestidigitation, prophecy, rune, sleight of hand, soothsaying, sorcery, sortilege, spell, superstition, taboo, thaumaturgy, trickery, voodoo, voodooism, witchcraft, wizardry
Nothing jumping out at me. I need to study up on druids and Celts, as those are the cultures I'm basing the Dayside civilization on, Might find something appropriate there.
One solution would be to create a semi-quasi religion based around the Masters. That can give you phrases like 'by the Grace of the Masters' type stuff that can fill in for 'magic' or 'unexplained' and can even be ironic if used to explain Dark Side Tech.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

I'm running into a big problem with maybe half the people who watch the CrossOver video. They think the planet is Earth, despite my attempts to make it visually distinct. I think a big part of this is that I start the narration with "Our Sun." The solution is to name the planet, something I've been resistant to until now.

I'm considering hijacking the legend of Tír na nÓg. "Land of the Young" the most popular of the Otherworlds in Irish mythology.

Tír na nÓg was considered a place beyond the edges of the map where happiness lasted forever. It could be reached by either an arduous voyage or an invitation from one of its fairy residents, Tuatha de Danann (the Masters, who I would rename)

The story goes that if you visit Tír na nÓg, then return to Earth, 300 years will have passed. This fits nicely with the time dilation that occurs with light speed travel.

As it may be overly presumptuous to utilize an aspect of someone's culture for my own purposes, I'm also considering changing the names slightly, possibly by going back to the old Irish roots, and interpreting how the language may have evolved differently on this alien planet.

Does this sound like a good idea to you? Why or why not?

-

Also, I'll be looking for voice actors (ideally Irish or Scottish, bull I'll consider anyone) to narrate the revised exposition, if you are interested.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Simple tip, if you want to make people think it's not Earth, add another moon, second sun or some other alien cosmology we don't have. Or explicitly show the beam going from a very identifiable earth to your alien planet.

Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Mr Bean wrote:Simple tip, if you want to make people think it's not Earth, add another moon, second sun or some other alien cosmology we don't have. Or explicitly show the beam going from a very identifiable earth to your alien planet.
or just say "Our Star"

people will go :wtf: ? Look at the continents and be paying attention later when you say "From earth" somewhere.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

I said "from Earth", like four times, gave this planet two moons, purple oceans, and a nebular background. They still thought it was Earth.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:I said "from Earth", like four times, gave this planet two moons, purple oceans, and a nebular background. They still thought it was Earth.
then they're just idiots and there's nothing you can do convince them it's not Earth.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:I said "from Earth", like four times, gave this planet two moons, purple oceans, and a nebular background. They still thought it was Earth.
I'm going to be honest: your oceans don't look that purple. At least on my screen. *shrug*

Nebular background, well, I guess I can see people ignoring that. Don't know why they don't take the hint with the two moons though; they really should, because it's pretty obvious. There's no helping that.

"Our star" might help, as could naming the planet. It would seem likely that at some point the people who live there would have done so, after all. So unless you have some story reason not to do so, I don't see why not.

Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

[edit]

Here it is broken into parts for two narrators:

-

Narrator #1 (male):

The Master’s world was once a paradise.

They gathered my ancestors from Earth at the dawn of our civilization.

The Masters showed us the secrets of the universe,

and taught us how to bend reality to our will.

As they dwindled, their power faded,

and the gateway home was sealed.

When the last Master died,

their world slowed to a halt.

Forests burned and oceans boiled.

We were able to endure by studying their knowledge.

and the more we learned,

The more we prospered.

On the Nightside forests withered and oceans froze.

None survived.

-

Narrator #2 (female):

On Earth, tales of this world had faded into myth.

We developed advanced technology,

and built ships that could cross the stars.

My ancestors stumbled upon this world,

and crashed on the Nightside.

In time, the castaways flourished.

Our city is a warm light in the cold darkness.

The Great Barrier divides Night and Day,

preventing contact between our two Empires.

Until now...

-

I haven't named the planet, but I think that I’ve clarified that it’s not Earth, and I can hint at its mythical associations subtextually later.

What do you think?
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

What do you guys think of this music?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHGx0ph ... ture=g-upl