Heavy lift helicopter concept

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Heavy lift helicopter concept

Post by Kenny_10_Bellys »

OK, thought I'd try and make another helicopter since my little Ka-65 attack chopper has proven to be quite popular as a download. I've always loved the big choppers, so I thought my next attempt should be a heavy guy. It was suggested that it should perhaps be a compound helo (part chopper, part plane) since a lot of new stuff is heading that way. Here's a quick work up based on big stuff like the Mi-26 chopper, one version contra-rotating and the other with compound elements.

Feel free to come up with suggestions and ideas on how to proceed, this is just a 10 minute model to test a look and I can quite happily go in a completely different direction if it sounds cool. I picked this style since it has easy loading/unloading at the rear and looks quite sleek, but it could equally go very wide & squat, or perhaps skeletal like the Skycrane and carry specific plug-in modules under the rear section. What do you guys think? Worth pursuing?

heavy lift 0 by axeman3d, on Flickr
heavy lift 2 by axeman3d, on Flickr
heavy lift 1 by axeman3d, on Flickr
heavy lift 3 by axeman3d, on Flickr
heavy lift 4 by axeman3d, on Flickr
heavy lift 5 by axeman3d, on Flickr
visit http://www.kennyscrap.com for all your crap model needs.
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Re: Heavy lift helicopter concept

OK, how about an enlarged Chinook style heavy lift helo? This is 42 meters long instead of the Chinooks 30m.

superchinook 2 by axeman3d, on Flickr
superchinook 1 by axeman3d, on Flickr
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

I like the counter rotor model. Only thing I would do is move the engines off the wings and mount them on top on either side of the fuselage.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

might not be enough clearance between fuselage and bottom rotor for the engine. maybe have the jets be internal with intakes on the side and exhaust coming out back near the tail. helps hide the IR heat as well.

for something different, maybe transverse or intermeshing rotors?
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Transerse rotors would make it a little different, maybe a little more Russian or 50's looking than currently. I worry that it would make the footprint of the helicopter a lot larger though.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Kenny_10_Bellys wrote:Transerse rotors would make it a little different, maybe a little more Russian or 50's looking than currently. I worry that it would make the footprint of the helicopter a lot larger though.
That layout would make it more efficient though, because less of the downwash would hit the fuselage. That fat flat tail on the first version doesn't look like a good idea for that reason (lift lost to downwash drag).
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

The whale tale is lifted almost directly from a Boeing concept for just such a heavy lift vehicle, I think they need the lift and control for compound helos. If I add the extra engines anyway.