Spacebucket (1 pixel = 1 inch) (big image)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Spacebucket (1 pixel = 1 inch) (big image)

Post by MKSheppard »

I've been drawing some space launchers for the last week or so using whatever drawings I can get my hands on. (ONE SUCH DWG)

Here's what I've got so far (Resized down to fit a screen decently here).

Version 1

These are as accurate as I can make the tank locations and sizes. Dimensions may be off by a few inches...but that's not so bad with a 300+ foot SLV.

Color Code is:

Oxidizant: BLUE
Liquid Fuel: RED
Pressurant: GREEN
Nuclear Fuel: YELLOW
Solid Propellants: BROWN
Payload Space: WHITE
Launcher Structure: Dark Grey
Launcher Interstage: Light Grey

(I need to recolor the S-IC/S-II interstage ullage motors to get them brown, but I'll do that later).

Next up, the more crazy Saturn derivatives.... :mrgreen:
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Re: Spacebucket (1 pixel = 1 inch) (big image)

Post by Hawkwings »

I know you have an easy and convenient scale set up, but for quick reference sake, could you put in a little human-sized figure at the bottom for scale? I just remember standing next to an F-1 engine and being dwarfed by that thing alone...
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Never mind a human, put a skyscraper next to those things. Saturn V is over 100m tall :shock:
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Semi Update:

The Saturn I/IB stages:

S-I Block I
S-I Block II
S-IB

have major issues in their scaling and given dimensions. I've found notations on blueprints saying that the diameter of the tank cluster is 257 inches; another notation that says the diameter of the base of the stage is 273.5 inches. There's also another notation saying that the S-IVB stage is 260 inches in diameter.

Yet when I scale a blueprint or drawing so that one of those dimensions is 1 pixel = 1 inch, the other dimensions are horribly off, indicating that the 'scale drawings' are nothing of the sort. :x

I'm beginning to think that the only way to actually draw an accurate S-I stage is to go to Florida or Alabama and actually walk around with surveyor's tools and flexible rulers. :cry:
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Version 2 up now with 260" SRM Saturn IB. It's Ares I, 40 years ago.