Show-off thread (56k unfriendly)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: Show-off thread (56k unfriendly)

Post by Lonestar »

Myself and the combat puggle went camping/Hiking last night.

Sunset looking West over the Appalachians.

Basecamp

Looking out during the wee hours of the morning.

Looking out form Tibbet Knob towards Big Schloss.

Is that a treat for ME???
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Cool hiking Lony!
Aren't you worried about leaving your dog outside at night?

Mountain lions, cougars, bears and all that?
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

A mountain lion and a cougar are the same thing Dan. But she sleeps in the tent.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Aaron wrote:A mountain lion and a cougar are the same thing Dan. But she sleeps in the tent.
Daisy is pretty good at being bait for a different kind of cougar, if you catch my drift. :D
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Excellent, the best kind. :wink:
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

A blue heron, I think, which we chanced upon on the way to the beach.

This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Pansonic GF-1, 7-14mm lens
focal length: 13mm, f4, 1/2s, ISO 400
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Sculpture panel on the Toronto Hydro-Electric building
Bringing power to the people

This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Not so much showing of my photography as my cooking. Last night I decided to try something new, creole style cooking, namely red beans and rice. Thank god for immigrant food stores, only place you can find regular old dried beans, thanks to finnish white-trashification of food culture it's all gone in favor of canned stuff.

Anyway red beans and rice:

Also made homemade gooseberry jam last week which I used to make a compote for breakafst today :

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Plugged a c-mount Pentax 25mm/f1.4 onto the GF-1 and went on a track with a friend yesterday

The swirly nature of the bokeh is characteristic of this type of lens; very sharp center, softer on the corners.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
The swirly nature of the bokeh is characteristic of this type of lens; very sharp center, softer on the corners.
Interesting bokeh indeed. Usually one seems something like that from old Zeiss Biotars (either 58 or 75 mm) or their illustrious Russian copies, the Helios 44M and especially the longer 40-2, although there are other old lenses typically from 1940s to 1960s which can produce a similar effect.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Interesting bokeh indeed. Usually one seems something like that from old Zeiss Biotars (either 58 or 75 mm) or their illustrious Russian copies, the Helios 44M and especially the longer 40-2, although there are other old lenses typically from 1940s to 1960s which can produce a similar effect.
There are Angenieux c-mount lenses that produce similar effects, but those buggers cost a bomb to procure. The Pentax 25mm/f1.4 lens in question is actually meant for machine applications, but it sure does produce pretty good pictures for what it does. :P And it is cheap! Got it for 350 SGD with adapter, though it's a lot cheaper from B&H Photo (probably because the latter bought the lens in bulk rather than smaller quantities)
Kreia
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Returned to Sky Meadows State Park, with the combat puggle. Guess what we saw wandering around free range?

"Daisy, what do you see? Is it a Deer? Bear? Coyote?"

MOO COWS!

(Daisy normally goes nuts and chirps/barks up a storm when she sees other animals. In this case she kinda froze and just looked at them. I guess she thought they were too big?)
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Remember, I'm a trained professional with years of experience. That's why it looks easy.

aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Shenandoah!

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

As seen on the CTA in glorious luddite silver halide.

Image Image

And a splash of color.

Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

That is super red. Even the dress in the bg pops out.
XXXI
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Phantasee wrote:That is super red. Even the dress in the bg pops out.
There's no red like Kodachrome red.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

The Red really does shout out and yet is so natural. Hmm...
Kreia
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:The Red really does shout out and yet is so natural. Hmm...
It looks even more spectacular on the light table :D
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:The Red really does shout out and yet is so natural. Hmm...
Too bad it's almost impossible to buy any Kodachrome now. Perhaps there are some evilBay dealers that will sell it at exorbitant prices. Dwayne's will shut down the processing line at the end of the year and that's it then for Kodachrome. K-14 process is a trade secret and even if it wasn't, it's too complex to be done in anything less than a fully equipped chemist's lab. I am still waiting if Paul Simon will comment :mrgreen:
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Too bad it's almost impossible to buy any Kodachrome now. Perhaps there are some evilBay dealers that will sell it at exorbitant prices. Dwayne's will shut down the processing line at the end of the year and that's it then for Kodachrome. K-14 process is a trade secret and even if it wasn't, it's too complex to be done in anything less than a fully equipped chemist's lab. I am still waiting if Paul Simon will comment :mrgreen:
There's quiet a bit on eBay but with constrained supply and high demand - well, you get the point.

Kodak relinquished any IP rights on K-14. But who would dare try and make it or produce the horribly complex chemistry necessary to develop it?
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

I have a personal liking for old manual lenses, though I'm looking to get rid of my old Leica Summicron-R 50mm/f2.0 because it's simply too heavy.

Recently I acquired a Contax/Yashica 50mm/f1.7 and a Leica M 90mm/f2.8 Tele-Elmarit (ver 2) from a friend, and here's the shots:

Contax/Yashica 50mm/f1.7

Leica M 90mm/f2.8 Tele-Elmarit (ver 2)

Admittedly, the 2nd shot ought to be cropped a little, but what the heck. I was taking it from the table, and I wanted to take more of the water in the background.

Annnd... an obligatory shot from my Panasonic 7-14mm wide angle.

Kreia
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

George Washington National Masonic Memorial, Alexandria, VA.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944