Starfighter!

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Re: Starfighter!

Post by [R_H] »

Why all the fixed guns? Why not have the two located adjacent to the cockpit in a dorsal or ventral turret.

+1 to it having a swoopie/curvy look
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

I tihnk I'm in agreement with salm here on the "feathers". If you want them still... it might work better if they folded out for atmospheric flight, landing, or something like that I suppose.

Also, six guns? I'm standing by my previous comments on them.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Retexturing... just the fuselage thus far... wip.

PERMANENTLY BANNED after being convicted of child sexual abuse.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Tweaked.

I'm satisfied with the feathers/teeth now. Back to re-texturing...
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

Agreed, a definite improvement re the feathers / teeth.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Yeah that looks much better.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Progress:

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The landing gear make it look like its balance is ... precarious. You might need some more surface area, maybe double wheels.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Or maybe just skids instead. It is a VTOL aircraft, right?
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

I imagine that wheels are useful, since they make moving it around on the ground a lot easier, even if you don't have to take off on them. Skids aren't so great for tugs pulling fighters into and out of hangars.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Why does a starfighter need to retract those manuevering/propulsion quills when the afterburner is in use?
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Back to work on this one after having been distracted by the StarCraft 2 Propaganda Poster contest, as well as StarCraft 2 it's self, for several months.

Improved landing gear:
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Very nice. Different. I like the non-standard styling. Reminds me of the P-90 SMG in a way.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

I had this crazy idea to actually model the detail on the wings using sub-d surfaces, but right now it looks more like I've thrown globs of clay at the wing and they've stuck like a 3D Jackson Pollock painting. Screenshots to come...

I guess I'm looking for advice. I might try again with polys, but I wanted it to look nice and smooth close up...
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:I had this crazy idea to actually model the detail on the wings using sub-d surfaces, but right now it looks more like I've thrown globs of clay at the wing and they've stuck like a 3D Jackson Pollock painting. Screenshots to come...

I guess I'm looking for advice. I might try again with polys, but I wanted it to look nice and smooth close up...
Meh, you´ve allready got the thing unwrapped and textured. It should be easy to create a displacement map if you absolutely need to. Personally i think a bump or normal map should do the job unless you want to do extreme closeups.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

I have never been able to get Displacement maps to work on poly models in Maya. They just quadruple the render time while destroying the mesh in post. Any suggestions?

I gave up on the sub-d details, which looked something like this:

-and I'm refining the wing and fuselage texture:

A lot of my other objects have boring or ugly textures, and I'll eventually replace them...

Also, this fighter is a prototype designed by a female pilot in my comic book. Does it say "feminine aesthetic" to you?
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

A bit more exposition:

It's never been flown before. It was designed by a female character, but manufactured by her brother as a surprise gift, and is therefore in shiny, showroom condition at the time the scene takes place. I will dirty it up for future sequences, and eventually I'll need to crash it.

It's intended to be a speedy jack of all trades, master of none.

On the battlefield it will be outnumbered 10-1 by fighters of an inferior technological level (somewhere between WW2 and Vietnam)

It's very distant future tech, and it's aerodynamics will be determined by (an invisible) kinetic shield. I titled this thread "StarFighter" to avoid the issue of aerodynamics, but in actuality this will be an atmospheric fighter.

[edit]
As a super-quick for instance, how does this look:
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Okay, howabout this:
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Looking at tricked out motorcycles for inspiration...

What do you suppose the third wheel is for? Stability maybe?

Duh. >forehead smack< Chrome! My model needs chrome!
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Too blue?
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Less blue, more yellow:

Adding more cockpit detail now...
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:I have never been able to get Displacement maps to work on poly models in Maya. They just quadruple the render time while destroying the mesh in post. Any suggestions?
I have no experience with Maya but depending on the rendere you´re using you might need a very high resolution mesh to make displacement maps work properly. Some renderers subdivide the mesh on the fly when rendering a displaced object but some don´t.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

All my textures are all 4096x4096, but when I apply as a Dmap, even at almost invisible contrast differential, my mesh invariably turns into a ball of spikes.

On a separate note:
...I really like Sub-D modeling in Maya. It's like working with clay. I really like poly modeling in Maya, it's like working with wood. I hate NURBS modeling in Maya. It's like trying to paper mache a swarm of bees each anchored to lead weights with fishing line.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Cockpit progress:
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:All my textures are all 4096x4096, but when I apply as a Dmap, even at almost invisible contrast differential, my mesh invariably turns into a ball of spikes.
The mesh needs to be very high res, the textures not necessarily. So you´d have to up the iterations of the Maya equivalent of MeshSmooth (the thingy that subdivides the mesh and makes it rounder).